Poppy guest and Katy P

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Threads like these remind me that there is more evil in our world than a tv channel selling radiators and there are people out there that give everything to stop it.

Though I do dislike how companies like qvc try to profit on the backs of the emotion generated by things like poppy's. I'm not advocating that qvc sell them at a loss, but I do feel that gifting their profitable time to this charity should be enough in and of itself.

Marks & Spencer clearly state on the items I’ve looked at on the web site the amount that will be donated from the purchase.
Looking at some of the item pictures the packaging also states the donated amount.

Checking items on QVC this is how they explain it
‘A third from the sale of this product will be paid to Royal British Legion Trading Limited, which gives its taxable profits to The Royal British Legion (Charity no. 219279) and Poppyscotland (Scottish Charity No. SC014096) which will support The Royal British Legion’s work in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and Poppyscotland’s work in Scotland. The donations due to each charity will be split according to population size, with Poppyscotland receiving 7% of the donation value.
The total donation for 2018 is expected to be £100,000.‘

So doesn’t explain how much of their customers purchase price is actually being donated.

I think it would be both helpful and honest if companies who are selling with the intention of benefiting charities be asked to state actually just how much in figures is being donated from every purchase.

Threads like these remind me that there is more evil in our world than a tv channel selling radiators and there are people out there that give everything to stop it.

Though I do dislike how companies like qvc try to profit on the backs of the emotion generated by things like poppy's. I'm not advocating that qvc sell them at a loss, but I do feel that gifting their profitable time to this charity should be enough in and of itself.[/QUOT

I agree, surely them doing their bit(indeed !) is better than nothing at all, like Primark or many other retailers. Further, BL are supporting Q by sending their girl along to do the shows, so the BL must see the advantage.

Buuuuuuuuuut Q should be transparent. I'm all for transparency.

Remember the customer has a choice. They choose whether they buy poppy stuff from M&S, Q, or BL, so surely if we/you/one is wishing to fling some blame about, then it should be with the customers, in the same way that we/you/one becomes vexed at the real fur buyers.
Note that I haven't actually checked if Primark do a BL selection, so I'm waiting to be pulled up on this.

Hello Mr Tom. I enjoy your posts. You should do more (please)

Blissy x0x0

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way to be entirely sure the maximum amount possible is going directly to the RBL is to buy from their own website.

Marks & Spencer clearly state on the items I’ve looked at on the web site the amount that will be donated from the purchase.
Looking at some of the item pictures the packaging also states the donated amount.

Checking items on QVC this is how they explain it
‘A third from the sale of this product will be paid to Royal British Legion Trading Limited, which gives its taxable profits to The Royal British Legion (Charity no. 219279) and Poppyscotland (Scottish Charity No. SC014096) which will support The Royal British Legion’s work in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and Poppyscotland’s work in Scotland. The donations due to each charity will be split according to population size, with Poppyscotland receiving 7% of the donation value.
The total donation for 2018 is expected to be £100,000.‘

So doesn’t explain how much of their customers purchase price is actually being donated.

I think it would be both helpful and honest if companies who are selling with the intention of benefiting charities be asked to state actually just how much in figures is being donated from every purchase.

If QVC state a third from the sale then I think that's basically as it says, ie sold for £30 so £10 is donated.

It's where you get statements about a third from the profit where it's impossible to know how much/little is going to be donated.

Ultimately I feel QVC shouldn't act like they are giving the airtime out of the goodness of their heart, when they are making sure it is well within their financial interests to sell the product.

Ultimately I feel QVC shouldn't act like they are giving the airtime out of the goodness of their heart, when they are making sure it is well within their financial interests to sell the product.

"but I do feel that gifting their profitable time to this charity should be enough in and of itself.[/QUOT"

Huh? U turn?

I just wanted to add my sincere best wishes if your loved one is away in the armed forces over Christmas.

I've brought my children up to live with tolerance of others; conflict starts with a lack of tolerance as we've seen this week with another shooting in the USA and the inflammatory rhetoric stirs it up.

I just wanted to add my sincere best wishes if your loved one is away in the armed forces over Christmas.

I've brought my children up to live with tolerance of others; conflict starts with a lack of tolerance as we've seen this week with another shooting in the USA and the inflammatory rhetoric stirs it up.

What a sincere comment, my thoughts are with them too.