Problem with Hermes delivery

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Jackanory

Registered Shopper
Sorry for posting this here, as it is not a QVC matter, but I have had lots of QVC parcels delivered by Hermes and never had a problem.

I ordered some items from Zara, very efficient service, Hermes courier service used, was able to track my order. Order was received by courier yesterday morning, then delivered and signed for by customer at 10.55 am yesterday. The problem was, it was not delivered to my house and not signed for by me or anyone else at my house. I contacted Zara and just received an e-mail from them saying the parcel was delivered and attaching a copy of the signature. Of course it is not my signature. Somebody has signed using the initial of my first name and my surname in a squiggle to sort of look like someone with my name would have signed for it.

I e-mailed Zara back, really extremely angry by this point as someone else has £50 worth of clothes paid for by me and I have nothing, explaining that the parcel did not come to my house and could they please either resend me the items or refund me.

Has anyone else ever experienced this sort of thing with Hermes?

I had something similar with a QVC item delivered by Hermes a couple of months ago. I had had the same Hermes local courier for a year or two and he had been brilliant. Suddenly he left and I had new guys (more than one for a time) delivering with mixed results. I was tracking this particular item online from when it left the warehouse - usually I find that really helpful because I know once it says "courier received", I can expect it usually within 3 or 4 hours (depends). However, on this occasion in April, three days later, I still had not received it. A weekend had got in the way but I knew something was wrong so I rang QVC and after filling in the form, etc, they despatched another of the item but the same thing happened. This time, however, the online tracking marked it "customer signature" even though I had not received it. QVC contacted the local Hermes depot and the courier came round and just put a card through the door insisting that he had delivered the box to me at a certain time the previous Saturday. He put his mobile number on the card so I rang him and he still insisted someone at my house had accepted the box (there was definitely nobody in here that day!). He couldn't describe this mystery person but said he'd pop round that evening... he never came.

Anyhooooo ..... To cut a long story a bit shorter, eventually I received the third despatch from QVC and of course only paid QVC for one. QVC actually refunded the P&P to compensate me for my trouble. So I would say don't let it go because if you didn't receive the delivery, you should get fully refunded. I'm no lawyer but if they can't prove it's your signature (and obviously they can't because it's not) it's a non- or mis-delivery and you should get your money back.

Thanks AndiK, I've had the same Hermes delivery guy for ages and there is absolutely no way that he would forge my signature, but I did notice a different delivery guy delivered a parcel to my son a few weeks ago, and wonder whether I have a new Hermes delivery guy.

I hope I don't have a battle on my hands, but it is obviously very easy for me to prove that the signature is not my signature or anyone else's who lives at my house.

I can tell you one thing though, this has really put me off ordering things online, and I order millions of things online, I can't be bothered with actual shops at all, but I can be even less bothered paying for items which I don't receive and then having to argue my point. I will seriously consider heading out to the actual shops the next time I need something.

I have no experience of very.co.uk so I don't know how they'll handle this but, as I say, just stick to your guns. In my case, I'd rather not have had to ring QVC a few times and investigate, but I wouldn't call it a battle, just a bit time-consuming. I still say it's down to them to prove it's your signature and you have the goods - most companies will take the customer's word for it anyway unless it keeps happening. Really, Very should be refunding you pronto and taking up the battle with Hermes.

Don't give up on online shopping yet! This will probably turn out to be an isolated incident for you.

Never had a problem with Hermes - my delivery man is great, although I've never met him! Leaves parcels in my designated place or with a neighbour. However, Yodel frequently leave parcels unsigned for in my garden and they're not even for me!! If I were a thief I could no doubt have had a lot of nice stuff for free. I usually deliver it myself as the addressees are houses nearby. Never let it go if you haven't received something as usually it has gone to the wrong address. Why should you pay for someone else to get a freebie.

CC

I'm not sure about Hermes, but some couriers have tracking systems - they can tell the if the delivery van was ever outside your property at the time they recorded your apparent delivery.
My Hermes man is very good, but Yodel is awful, leaving deliveries on doorstep - there is a clear signed message on my front door asking for deliveries to be left in my shed, but they can't be bothered to walk around the back.
Agin they can't prove you signed for it, so legally they have to refund or replace and they can claim on the courier company.

I've only ever had one small problem with a Hermes delivery. I was at home one Saturday when there was a knock at my door. A lady stood there with an opened package and explained she was visiting another house when this parcel was delivered. The owner of the house had only just moved in a day or so before so assumed the parcel was a 'new home' present. The Hermes courier had knocked the door and asked 'Is this number 27' so she had replied yes - and signed for the parcel. It was only when she opened the parcel she realised it couldn't be for her (it was crafting stash) and checked the address label which clearly stated number 37 not 27. She was very embarrassed that she'd opened it which is why her visitor brought it around to me. I was furious that the courier had done this as the items were worth well over £100.

If someone signed for it on your behalf knowing you were unavailable, surely they'd have let you know or delivered it by now. Sounds like someone has deliberately signed for and kept it - I'd have a word with the police!

I agree with you Moth, somebody has fraudulently signed for it and kept my goods. There wasn't even anybody in my house at 10.55 am on 30th June, and it is not any of our signatures, because we didn't sign for it and didn't receive it. I have heard nothing further from Zara other to say that they are checking with their couriers. I think I will need to speak to the police unfortunately.

I agree with you Moth, somebody has fraudulently signed for it and kept my goods. There wasn't even anybody in my house at 10.55 am on 30th June, and it is not any of our signatures, because we didn't sign for it and didn't receive it. I have heard nothing further from Zara other to say that they are checking with their couriers. I think I will need to speak to the police unfortunately.

Sorry, Jackanory ... I was rambling on about very.co.uk in my posts yesterday and you were talking about a delivery from Zara! :doh:

But anyway, my advice stands - wait for them to respond when they have had chance to speak to the courier. I would be very surprised if a company like that insisted you were fibbing about non-receipt and said you won't get a refund. As I said before, if you had a history of claiming things had not been received, it would be different. If Zara customer services are unhelpful, ask to speak to their legal department as you have all sorts of rights under the Consumer Rights Act. There's a lot on this forum about how slow QVC can be with replacing and refunding "lost" items (including mis-delivered), but even they resolved it within 3-4 days in my case.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back