QVC Beauty OMG!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I used to get conned on the Clinique counter every time l went to buy something. I used their 3 step cleansing soap, toner and dramatically different moisturising lotion. Of course the assistant told me l should also use a day cream with a SPF, a night cream, eye cream and a serum would be fabulous for me too. Add in the exfoliators, lip protectors and l would have been a few hundred pounds worth off. I don't bother with oils or serums or eye creams anymore. Just cleanse, tone and moisturise with Liz Earle and that's it.

There is an interview with Nigella Lawson in this month's Good Housekeeping (November) where she says she doesn't use many products. I have always admired her complexion. She does say she uses SPF 50 even in winter.

That's what the Alpha-H people always recommend: SPF always, throughout the year.

Not surprised Alpha H say that being an Aussie brand. However a friend of mine was told to ease off by her GP after diagnosing her with vitamin D deficiency. For a woman who works indoors, most of her skin covered apart from her face and drives everywhere, he told her to stop putting SPF on every single day unless out in the summer sun.

I agree with SPF. I like it better in a day cream but I'm not the best person to give an opinion as I think I believe everything that I'm told. I bought Ultrasun from QVC went to Florida and had the worst rash ever....doctor in Florida - what sun screen do you use ? It's too much traps the sweat and is not good for you!!!!!!! What the heck. I'm so fed up today with all this and I have spent too much. NO MORE beauty from QVC for me.

I am 57, cleanse, wash with Dove, PCMC face, oxyg night on neck before bed. Morning wash and tone no cleanse, apply Rosacea cream then primer before makeup. If I did any more my face would be like a beetroot. I am lucky I have no wrinkles but I don't drink or smoke but do drink copious amounts of tea!

I agree with SPF. I like it better in a day cream but I'm not the best person to give an opinion as I think I believe everything that I'm told. I bought Ultrasun from QVC went to Florida and had the worst rash ever....doctor in Florida - what sun screen do you use ? It's too much traps the sweat and is not good for you!!!!!!! What the heck. I'm so fed up today with all this and I have spent too much. NO MORE beauty from QVC for me.

If it cheers you up, there was a documentary on BBC a couple of years ago, showing expensive face creams being made. They were water and lard-like fat being mixed in a huge vat, the same ingredients and processes as much cheaper brands. That's when I stopped using anything fancy and went back to Boots, and have since discovered Superdrug, and my face is just the same as it was with QVC brands.

Thanks for the information about Ultrasun. I used it in India but it shows up like white grease under make up, and I got heat rash on my elbows, so am trying a new one, supplemented by Boots Soltan. Tried the new one (can't remember it's name, it will come to me too late) in Greece temperatures of 30 degrees this summer, and no burning or rash.

Interesting thread! I only started using moisturisers a few years ago (I'm 48) as my skin was feeling dry. (I have good genes- thanks mum). My skin definitely looks better. I like sbc, as pretty good value, last tsv was a huge pot. I am now getting hooked on body lotion, as skin is getting dry. Trying to avoid the big names, as they would cost a fortune!
Not sure if the creams do a lot, but skins feels good and has lost its dry look. Also makes me happy!

I agree re showing like white, my hubby said is that Lard!!, I thought I was savvy until the last week now I know I'm just a nutter when it comes to beauty......worse than an addiction if that's possible x

i do like l'occitane body lotions though as the grapeseed oil base is gorgeous. i only pay max £10 sometimes less in the l'occy sales and the 250ml lasts me at least 3 moths plus they smell nice no need for perfume

I am in my eighties and use Neutrogena on my body and it is better than anything else I have used. I have a bottle of Gatineau unused as it does nothing. I use LE superskin on my face and it does seem to keep my face as supple as it can be at this age and wash face either with LE or Clarins. I shower with SBC - I buy the litre bottles from Amazon for £18 and they last a good 3 months.
It is really good to read all the alternative recommendations on here, will try some of them, so thanks a lot.

I am in my eighties and use Neutrogena on my body and it is better than anything else I have used.

I had sort of forgotten about Neutrogena. Think I have carted a bottle of Neutrogena Rainbath around every continent. Used to be sold as a do all product, hair, body and for washing clothes, when the need arised. I loved the fragrance too.

Also love the amber see through soap bar.

I agree re showing like white, my hubby said is that Lard!!, I thought I was savvy until the last week now I know I'm just a nutter when it comes to beauty......worse than an addiction if that's possible x

Mia, you are beautiful just by being yourself. And you obviously have a great relationship with your husband if he can say your face looks like you have lard on it!

Have confidence in yourself, you don't need to give your power away to expensive cosmetics which you think you need. Why not try buying a low to medium price range of just the very basics, cleanse, tone, moisturise, and sunscreen, and see how you feel after, say, a month? I bet your skin looks exactly the same, but you will feel better for knowing that you are not in the clutches of advertisers and telly sellers.

Thanks Miss G. What a nice post, your spot on I'm using up my stash then taking some advice from this forum. I think I have a bit of an addictive nature and watched every beauty TSV and just had to have it. The only time I've sent anything back was a Lulu one so you can imagine how many I've had. my daughter never buys skincare as she always knows I'll have it. She might be in for a shock if my plan works.

Great thread.Makes you stop and think.

I usually keep my routine simple but occasionally I buy into some hype and buy a new product then wish I hadn't bothered.

The beauty industry has expanded at the same time as people have become more youth orientated and the anti ageing things play on insecurities .I know they did with me .I hated getting older but as the years tick by have to come to terms with it .My skin is quite good because I have always looked after it.

I have to be in the mood to buy a beauty product, out of curiosity more to see what it's like than actually expecting any results, moisturisers work by sitting on the skin giving the impression your skin is softer than it is and let's face it, we all know anti aging doesn't work because nothing stops the aging process. Since I stopped shopping at QVC two years ago I hardly buy any now and my skin is in exactly the same condition as it was two years ago, funny that.

I have just checked my stock of Liz Earle so no TSV for me. I have all these products & don't need more.I am much more selective these days & don't keep trying new, new, new with lots of half finished products.Lightening my Q shopping plus going to Aldi means another holiday! No contest!!
have just listened to Jilly going down the 'get 2 get 3' route that would mean another £100 bites the dust!

I am in my eighties and use Neutrogena on my body and it is better than anything else I have used. I have a bottle of Gatineau unused as it does nothing. I use LE superskin on my face and it does seem to keep my face as supple as it can be at this age and wash face either with LE or Clarins. I shower with SBC - I buy the litre bottles from Amazon for £18 and they last a good 3 months.
It is really good to read all the alternative recommendations on here, will try some of them, so thanks a lot.

I agree Neutrogena is the best body cream I have used, I have just recommended to a friend.I like LE Body Cream ( as in today's TSV) but I don't think it as rich as it used to be & a lot more expensive that Neutrogena, which you can sometimes get on offer.

You just have to think what a load of waffle most of the 'prestige ingredients' claims are. They just sit on the skin until they are washed off.

If you think of nicotine or HRT patches, they are indeed 'micronised' as beauty companies claim for their ingredients, e.g. collagen. But they are designed to be carried around the whole blood and lymphatic system, to every organ of the body including the brain. (otherwise you might as well try to stop smoking by tying a cigarette to your arm). If collagen went into the face, it would then be transported around the body. That would be great for the medical profession who could replace worn out joints by slapping patches on patients' skin.

I am not a doctor, so if my medical facts are wrong, I will accept any corrections from anyone qualified. But as a lay person, I am pretty sure that's why cosmetic companies are telling untruths in the hope of parting the gullible from their money.

Latest posts

Back