QVC Beauty OMG!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm in my sixties and have never used any soap on my face ever, and just the occasional cleanser. A towel buffs off the older skin and then I moisturise day and night with non-perfumed Aveeno, recommended by my dermatologist. A bottle costs about a tenner and lasts for ages. I'm lucky to have inherited good genes because my mother in her nineties has the skin of someone thirty years younger. I used to use Decleor till I realized I was spending £90 every 3 months on QVC's "special offers" - not so special when my £10 bottle has the same effect for several months.

I think less is more applies in skincare. What a great thread, Mia - thanks!

They won't get rich on selling me skincare, either. E45 cream and Nivea are what I use, Vaseline if lips or cuticles feel dry and I like unperfumed baby lotion occasionally for hands and body, too.
I'm in my sixties and have never used any soap on my face ever, and just the occasional cleanser. A towel buffs off the older skin and then I moisturise day and night with non-perfumed Aveeno, recommended by my dermatologist. A bottle costs about a tenner and lasts for ages. I'm lucky to have inherited good genes because my mother in her nineties has the skin of someone thirty years younger. I used to use Decleor till I realized I was spending £90 every 3 months on QVC's "special offers" - not so special when my £10 bottle has the same effect for several months.

I think less is more applies in skincare. What a great thread, Mia - thanks!

I have been using Frankincense oil on my face in the last two days having read so much good about it for the skin, and apparently some people use it as an alternative in cancer treatment, there are some videos on YouTube about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK_sX5ko8SE (starts from 50:00 mins appx)

Edit: So I started using it on a mole on my back (I'm a sun lover) that had been itching for about a week and after one application the itching stopped overnight, and my hubby confirmed that it looks smaller and flatter in only two days so I keep applying it and there has been no adverse effects.

:mysmilie_502:Lovely post, Miss G.

Mia, you are beautiful just by being yourself. And you obviously have a great relationship with your husband if he can say your face looks like you have lard on it!

Have confidence in yourself, you don't need to give your power away to expensive cosmetics which you think you need. Why not try buying a low to medium price range of just the very basics, cleanse, tone, moisturise, and sunscreen, and see how you feel after, say, a month? I bet your skin looks exactly the same, but you will feel better for knowing that you are not in the clutches of advertisers and telly sellers.

ah for days when I used anything on my skin, Boots cheap stuff (before Protect and Lift), Body Shop etc. Now Roseaca has struck and so many ingredients just set it off. I was given a sample of a cream the other week, half an hour after applying, big red itchy lumps.

Oh by the way, the girl who does Benefit(can't remember her name), I caught her on one of the music channels they do a style thing. She was doing makeup and was not using any Benefit in the demo. So must only use when paid by Benefit to do some.

A work colleague used to work as a healthcare assistant in our hospital. She had to assist a lady who had come in for an op. She was checking her details and saw that she was in her 70s, she had to double check this as she looked only mid 50s. All details checked out and she explained to her that she thought she was 20 years younger than her actual age. She apologised for being nosey, but just had to ask her how she took care of her facial skin, because she had hardly any lines and no dryness, no 'procedures' either.
The lady laughed and said she had always wiped over her face with cotton wool soaked in Boots glycerine and rosewater lotion, the one in the old fashioned looking bottle. It cleansed and moisturised her face in one step. Of course, she could have had youthful genes, as many people have, but it does make you think. Neither my colleague or myself fancied copying this though, it just seems too simple....lol.

"Edit: So I started using it on a mole on my back (I'm a sun lover) that had been itching for about a week and after one application the itching stopped and my hubby confirmed that it looks smaller and flatter in only two days so I keep applying it and there has been no adverse effects."

I'd keep on using the Frankincense oil then, but Marina, you should go to your GP for referral to a dermatologist so the professionals could have a look at it - then you could just get it removed possibly just to get it out of the way for you so you don't have to worry about it - that's what I would do.

Just read the Telegraph article. I'm sitting here thinking how many QVC customers should read it, sure is interesting. Love the posts on this thread thanks ladies

A work colleague used to work as a healthcare assistant in our hospital. She had to assist a lady who had come in for an op. She was checking her details and saw that she was in her 70s, she had to double check this as she looked only mid 50s. All details checked out and she explained to her that she thought she was 20 years younger than her actual age. She apologised for being nosey, but just had to ask her how she took care of her facial skin, because she had hardly any lines and no dryness, no 'procedures' either.
The lady laughed and said she had always wiped over her face with cotton wool soaked in Boots glycerine and rosewater lotion, the one in the old fashioned looking bottle. It cleansed and moisturised her face in one step. Of course, she could have had youthful genes, as many people have, but it does make you think. Neither my colleague or myself fancied copying this though, it just seems too simple....lol.

There`s a blast from the past ! My sister is 7 years older than me and we always shared a bedroom until she married. In the early 60`s when thick eye liner, pan stick and compact powder was all the rage, I`d be around 10 and she`d be around 17 and every night I`d watch her take off her slap using Boots traditional cold cream, followed by Boots glycerin and rosewater and then she`d rub Cremolia into her face, elbows and hands. I know Cremolia is no longer made but Boots still do their Traditional range but I suspect in the ingredients might have changed somewhat.

No, Vienna, Glycerine and Rosewater seems to be still the same as it has always been. I have bought it, although find it a bit sticky, and now use their Traditional range. For cleaning the face I first rub in their cold cream, which smells of roses and instantly transports you back to the 1950s. Having wiped off most of it with cotton wool, I then wash to get that clean feeling, with either Dove, or olive oil soap, or, my latest find, the Superdrug hot cloth cleanser.

I don't wish to boast (not half!) but when I was having my knee replacement my doctor did not believe my age, and had to check my birthdate.

Go on Miss Grumpy........ which is.................

A state secret.

Although I am prepared to reveal it if Daniel Craig can come up with some very inventive torture, involving a lot of tickling.

I owe my stunning youthful looks, so my catty friends at my 60th birthday told me, many years ago, to not having either a husband or children, ergo, no worries. And of course, I attribute my unlined chubby cheeks to my tendency to store flab around my infinitely chubbier botty.

Last edited:
And on the theme of beauty claims, does the Prai lady still insist that the sacred prai root was the secret of the complexions of Thai empresses?

I always wondered how someone got up close enough to an empress to take a glance at her complexion, and report back to the waiting world "Cor, what a stunner!"

Ditto the bits of prai root which have been revived after being dunked in water, having been taken from pyramids where they were buried more than 2000 years ago. Not sure how that revives our not quite 2000 year old skins.

I don't wish to boast (not half!) but when I was having my knee replacement my doctor did not believe my age, and had to check my birthdate.

Ditto Miss G. Had an op earlier this year and was dreading removing make up for it but anaesthetist asked what my radiant skin secret was! That was a boost I can tell you!

Ditto Miss G. Had an op earlier this year and was dreading removing make up for it but anaesthetist asked what my radiant skin secret was! That was a boost I can tell you!

Come on,then, what's the secret? There are 60,000 people out there ready to buy Loveinamist's Lotion.

Now, ladies - listen up.
If you want to know what the secret of eternal youth is, I've just worked it out. It's not rocket science because we all apparently use it and have aged well on it - this forum! So the more we read and contribute, the younger we get. Simples!

Come on,then, what's the secret? There are 60,000 people out there ready to buy Loveinamist's Lotion.

Well I can't say it's the love of a good man, I got rid of him so it must be the simple, clean living, sorry! Being teetotal and non smoker must help the genes. Don't drink or eat sugary stuff either due to multiple allergies and can't live without my Rosacea cream. Mum had beautiful smooth soft skin well into her 90's and Dad didn't have a line on his face at 80.

Latest posts

Back