QVC Couldn't Believe My Ears

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

@BB Please don't tell me you are comparing animals being killed for eating to animals being killed for vanity???

I bet that chicken you ate last week wasn't laughing when it had its brain stunned and it's throat cut either. Double standards.

It wasn't last week. It was today.

And if there was a vegetarian equivalent of meat that gave me the nutrition my body requires from eating animals then I would change in a heartbeat. But there isn't yet.

Though you have to admit that there's a difference between eating animals because it's the way nature designed you to survive and skinning them just to look "pretty". It's not like we then go on to eat the rest of the mink (or whatever) for food, is it?

But I do agree that the way we deal with animals bred for food is disgusting; just because they're going to end up in pies etc. doesn't mean they don't "feel" and all the rest of it.

In parts of China and Koreait's perfectly acceptable to eat dog. In France it's OK to eat horse. This is anathema to those who keep/have kept these animals as pets, and have seen that they have their own distinct personalities.

But this IS hypocritical: we need to wise up to the fact that the bulls, pigs, chickens and fish that die for our tables are not going in a nice way. I'm not sure what the answer is, but BB does have a point.

WHY is it OK to torrture animals that we eat when it isn't OK to do the same to those we keep as pets or may want to make into coats? :taphead:

WHY is it OK to torrture animals that we eat when it isn't OK to do the same to those we keep as pets or may want to make into coats? :taphead:

It's never Ok to torture an animal - no matter what.

An animal being killed for food does not need to be tortured - it can, and should be done quickly and painlessly. Anything else is just wrong and should not be tolerated.

It wasn't last week. It was today.

And if there was a vegetarian equivalent of meat that gave me the nutrition my body requires from eating animals then I would change in a heartbeat. But there isn't yet.

Though you have to admit that there's a difference between eating animals because it's the way nature designed you to survive and skinning them just to look "pretty". It's not like we then go on to eat the rest of the mink (or whatever) for food, is it?

oh please. its called Soya Bean Curd. Tofu. Quorn. whatever you want to call it but there's plenty of it around and it doesnt have a face and whiskers. And if you don't like it have a piece of cheese instead.

To suggest that its somehow different if you kill an animal for food, as opposed to killing it to wear its pelt is just laughable. Food is one thing that we’re not short of, we buy it, put it in the fridge then chuck it out uneaten every single week with gay abandon. And no one needs to eat meat, we do it by choice.

To also suggest that animals which are killed for fur are killed cruelly, whereby animals killed for food are killed humanely is again laughable and just naïve. The anti fur lobby always produce horrific videos of animals being mis-treated and I agree it’s appalling. But only a few months ago an abattoir worker was filmed kicking a live pig and stubbing out a cigarette in its face. It didn’t even get to court because the film had been obtained “covertly” and therefore was inadmissible as evidence. I don’t remember any uproar about it, do you?

And how about the tin of tuna in your cupboard. have you seen how they kill them? It might be dolphin-friendly but its certainly not ****** tuna-friendly I can assure you.

Cruelty to animals happens and is wrong but not necessarily representative of what happens across the entire industry. There’s a very well known clip on youtube which shows a fur farm in China where one of the workers holds an animal by its tail and literally smashes its head on the ground. I don’t think that furriers like Denis Basso would be paying money for pelts that had been treated that way. The animals that source his designs are probably amongst the BEST looked after in the industry. You’re more likely to find the skins of cruelly treated animals on the collar of an anorak in Primark than in a Basso boutique. Anyone here shop at Primark?

The fact is that the anti fur bandwagon is a very easy one to jump on for most of us because most of us can’t afford to buy the product. So let’s slag off the people who can, and the furriers who make it possible. The problem is that for every furry, pretty creature that’s been maltreated by a low-end Chinese fur farm, there are thousands of less attractive creatures being treated hideously in processing plants around our own country just so that you can scoff them.

You may not like Denis Basso, but you cannot seriously object to what he does without also taking responsibility for what you perpetuate by buying meat. You can try, but it will not wash with me. Own it, take responsibility for your own contribution to animal cruelty before you decry other people. Or be a hypocrite.

There will be a number of different views on this subject, for me cruelty and torture of any kind, to anything living should be stamped out wherever it occurs. It just appals me.

It's very hard to justify the difference between the food chain and fashion and I recognise that many parts of the world neither have nor can afford to have our sentimentality.

However, I can distinguish the difference between slaughtering an animal for food (hopefully humanely) where everything gets utilised for some purpose and any creature, captured or bred, to be killed often in sickening ways, including taking from the womb unborn for no other purpose than to strip it of it's skin in order to pander to an exclusive market or add adornments to Hight Street fashions.

All these hypocrites getting on their high horse about someone flogging fur (and faux fur) when they'll be rushing to buy the Emu boots that'll be along shortly.... The skin on an Emu or FUgg boot or leather handbag is no more or less "cruel" than a fur coat. (Just don't tell the itsy witsy lickle bunnies....)

All these hypocrites getting on their high horse about someone flogging fur (and faux fur) when they'll be rushing to buy the Emu boots that'll be along shortly.... The skin on an Emu or FUgg boot or leather handbag is no more or less "cruel" than a fur coat. (Just don't tell the itsy witsy lickle bunnies....)

Errrr don't count me in that thanks!!!!!!

There will be a number of different views on this subject, for me cruelty and torture of any kind, to anything living should be stamped out wherever it occurs. It just appals me.

It's very hard to justify the difference between the food chain and fashion and I recognise that many parts of the world neither have nor can afford to have our sentimentality.

However, I can distinguish the difference between slaughtering an animal for food (hopefully humanely) where everything gets utilised for some purpose and any creature, captured or bred, to be killed often in sickening ways, including taking from the womb unborn for no other purpose than to strip it of it's skin in order to pander to an exclusive market or add adornments to Hight Street fashions.

This ^^^^^^

That's what I'm trying to say but you put it way more concisely than I can!!

Last edited:

Er, Emu's have feathers actually. Emu footwear is sheepskin so a by product of the food chain. Unless you mean Emu Oil from the Margaret Dabbs range, Emu meat is not popular at all and they are not killed just for the oil.

I wasn't aware that sheep or cattle are killed solely to provide sheepskin boots or handbags?

oh please. its called Soya Bean Curd. Tofu. Quorn. whatever you want to call it but there's plenty of it around and it doesnt have a face and whiskers. And if you don't like it have a piece of cheese instead.

To suggest that its somehow different if you kill an animal for food, as opposed to killing it to wear its pelt is just laughable. Food is one thing that we’re not short of, we buy it, put it in the fridge then chuck it out uneaten every single week with gay abandon. And no one needs to eat meat, we do it by choice.

To also suggest that animals which are killed for fur are killed cruelly, whereby animals killed for food are killed humanely is again laughable and just naïve. The anti fur lobby always produce horrific videos of animals being mis-treated and I agree it’s appalling. But only a few months ago an abattoir worker was filmed kicking a live pig and stubbing out a cigarette in its face. It didn’t even get to court because the film had been obtained “covertly” and therefore was inadmissible as evidence. I don’t remember any uproar about it, do you?

And how about the tin of tuna in your cupboard. have you seen how they kill them? It might be dolphin-friendly but its certainly not ****** tuna-friendly I can assure you.

Cruelty to animals happens and is wrong but not necessarily representative of what happens across the entire industry. There’s a very well known clip on youtube which shows a fur farm in China where one of the workers holds an animal by its tail and literally smashes its head on the ground. I don’t think that furriers like Denis Basso would be paying money for pelts that had been treated that way. The animals that source his designs are probably amongst the BEST looked after in the industry. You’re more likely to find the skins of cruelly treated animals on the collar of an anorak in Primark than in a Basso boutique. Anyone here shop at Primark?

The fact is that the anti fur bandwagon is a very easy one to jump on for most of us because most of us can’t afford to buy the product. So let’s slag off the people who can, and the furriers who make it possible. The problem is that for every furry, pretty creature that’s been maltreated by a low-end Chinese fur farm, there are thousands of less attractive creatures being treated hideously in processing plants around our own country just so that you can scoff them.

You may not like Denis Basso, but you cannot seriously object to what he does without also taking responsibility for what you perpetuate by buying meat. You can try, but it will not wash with me. Own it, take responsibility for your own contribution to animal cruelty before you decry other people. Or be a hypocrite.

Oh dear Mr BB: you appear to have (purposefully) missed my other post where I said that you had a point.

But don't let THAT stand in the way of a good rant now, will you? :nod:

Crikey: and I thought I was the highly-strung homosexualist in these parts... :thinking:

As for soya bean curd and cheese: I can't eat those as I'm intolerant. But thank you for suggesting it.

And as for Quorn and the like: most GPs would suggest that you supplement your diet with extra vitamins and minerals that aren't contained in meat substitutes but ARE contained in meat. Now, I'm sure I mentioned something along those lines, but again: PLEASE don't let that get in the way of a good rant. :smirk:

Er, Emu's have feathers actually. Emu footwear is sheepskin so a by product of the food chain. Unless you mean Emu Oil from the Margaret Dabbs range, Emu meat is not popular at all and they are not killed just for the oil.

If you choose to wear leather or fur it is simply a personal decision. Cruelty is involved regardless of whether someone put mint sauce on the other bits. I can live with that and think that there are far more important things to worry about.

I cant read your link (as in it makes me sick) but I just wish I could line up all these bstards who are involved in this and shoot the ****ers in the head!! - but just enough to left of centre to cause a slow death (they dont deserve a quick one)!

Oh dear Mr BB: you appear to have (purposefully) missed my other post where I said that you had a point.

But don't let THAT stand in the way of a good rant now, will you? :nod:

Crikey: and I thought I was the highly-strung homosexualist in these parts... :thinking:

As for soya bean curd and cheese: I can't eat those as I'm intolerant. But thank you for suggesting it.

And as for Quorn and the like: most GPs would suggest that you supplement your diet with extra vitamins and minerals that aren't contained in meat substitutes but ARE contained in meat. Now, I'm sure I mentioned something along those lines, but again: PLEASE don't let that get in the way of a good rant. :smirk:

wow intolerant to dairy AND vegetable protein? lets hope you don't become intolerant to things with a face or a beak, otherwise your options are going to be rather limited.

it wasnt a rant dear. i dont rant.

wow intolerant to dairy AND vegetable protein? lets hope you don't become intolerant to things with a face or a beak, otherwise your options are going to be rather limited.

it wasnt a rant dear. i dont rant.

Really? Then you do a VERY good impression of it!

And I'm really sorry that you're unhappy with the fact that I can't stomach soya or dairy. Since you seem to find my statement a problem, you may find THIS educational.

But then, don't let the fact that I have a recognised condition get n the way of you having a snipe at me about it.

After all, you've never let it stop you in the past.

Have you, "dear"?

Latest posts

Back