QVC presenters idea of "value"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I always used l'occitane shower gel and moisturiser until about 6 months ago when I ran out and bought some high street products initially to tide me over until I went to the Metrocentre

I bought Jergens moisturiser which I love and only costs £5 and I have continued buying this. I also bougth a shower gel for about 79p in Lidl Cien for dry skin with mango oil, again I really love this and still buy it.

I must be saving a fortune and my skin seems no worse for using these cheaper products.

I agree with so much of what people have said here.

In the early days of watching QVC I had to remind myself that the presenters are there to sell - it doesn't matter if they themselves like the products or not, they will still try to convince people that they need to buy them. However unless people vote with their feet, QVC will continue to sell products which aren't usually IMO very good value at all. I'm not saying I never order from QVC (I ordered today's TSV!) but usually I can find what I want elsewhere.

Many people have mentioned clothing - I was tempted by the Centigrade TSV the other day but didn't order in the end, and in my case I would much rather go to the dreaded High Street and buy clothes there. Sizing is always hit and miss, and at least in somewhere like M&S or New Look (the places I tend to frequent on the rare occasions I go clothes shopping - I would go to Primark as well but there isn't one in my town) I can try on different sizes before buying. With QVC, I would probably have to order 2 different sizes so at least one would end up going back, so where's the value in that? I can't believe some of the prices they charge for clothes which in some cases wouldn't look out of place in my local market (where they would be a fraction of the price).

I know there's a separate thread for King's Realm but the price of that beggars belief!

As for cosmetics and skincare, I have a lot of allergy problems so it is better for me to try out samples if I can but I can't afford the really expensive brands. I do use BE foundation, but that's because it's the only one I don't seem to react to and psychologically it's good as my skin looks better!

QVC are definitely out of touch - I can't afford to spend a lot of money on things and I'm not the only one - I don't like the thought of people getting to debt because they fall for their hard sell, but they're a business so I'm afraid they're not going to worry too much.

T K max is another great source of beauty bargains, I get fab liquid soap from there, lots of Pecksniffs stuff, scented candles, etc. Went in today and this was what I got: some lovely Chistmas decorations, a really sturdy colander in pink cos my kitchen is pink, a pair of Carol Hochman pyjamas, some Alexander McQueen shower gel and a pretty notebook , so that's my pay day treats for this month, but I had a right haul of goodies and the grand total was £40. I did not need these things as essential purchases but I do like a treat on pay day as I have worked hard all month. £40 would not get me much from QVC.

bought the susan graver leggings that are not supposed to be leggings cost around £26 worth £10.00 on the high street. hype hype hype.:taphead:

I think so many people assume that because they're buying brands from QVC they're somehow buying 'better' or buying more 'luxuriously', because that's how the products are presented, that you're somehow a better person for spending £40 on something rather than £2 (I'm sort of thinking more about skincare and cosmetics here) when in reality you just simply have to buy what suits you and your pocket rather than listening to and being taken in by the flim-flam the presenters spout. There is nothing wrong with having treats - and nothing wrong with buying the more expensive brands if you choose to and have the money to do so. But that they're somehow better than everything else - and better than everything that's on the 'evil high street' is wrong.

I went for the L'Occitane TSV on Sunday - but for me it was (the phrase that's usually reserved for expensive jewellery items) a 'considered purchase'. I know I will use everything in the kit and it will last me a long time, it will be a treat. But that's all. The rest of the time I shop wisely (much more wisely than I used to do) and either get things cheaper off e-bay or stick to equally nice products from cheaper ranges!

The QF and Primark tops are more than likely made in the same Beijing suburban sweat anyway.

On Saturday I went to the Oxfam shop & got a lovely jumper & a pair of boots in good condition for £10!
I'm on a very tight budget but I actually get a lot of pleasure out of finding treasures & bargains & I always look nice.

To be honest, I wouldn't want anything Quacker if they were giving them away.

Debenham's is a good place for a bargin on Blue Cross day also; it can work out a lot cheaper than New Look et al and much better quality to boot.

On Saturday I went to the Oxfam shop & got a lovely jumper & a pair of boots in good condition for £10!
I'm on a very tight budget but I actually get a lot of pleasure out of finding treasures & bargains & I always look nice.

I'm a charity-shopaholic! Sadly with times being hard people don't seem to be donating stuff so not many bargains hereabouts at the mo! I've had some really good stuff in the past...

I bet you look great Murgatroyd and I so agree with you about Quacker, I'd rather go naked than wear Quaker to paraphrase the anti fur campaign!

I bet you look great Murgatroyd and I so agree with you about Quacker, I'd rather go naked than wear Quaker to paraphrase the anti fur campaign!

These guys obviously disagree:

GD6647819@THE-CRUCIBLE-%5BUS-1996-8412.jpg

:devil:

Latest posts

Back