Ralph

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I like Ralph, but I don’t like pearls at all, so I won’t be watching.

Poor quality pearls whatever he says to the contrary. Ringed, mis-shaped, potato pearls which are the cheapest of the cheap and charging silly money for items you could buy directly from China on Ebay for a fraction of the price.
Good quality pearls from good quality sellers are graded just like diamonds are graded. They are graded on colour, shape, nacre etc and the best quality are given as AAAA+. Of course freshwater pearls are cheaper than Akoya or South Sea etc but each type of pearl have their own grades within the category.

The new range… does he own it? The style is very Honora imo. The prices though! I mean some seem reasonable but there is quite a range.

Poor quality pearls whatever he says to the contrary. Ringed, mis-shaped, potato pearls which are the cheapest of the cheap and charging silly money for items you could buy directly from China on Ebay for a fraction of the price.
Good quality pearls from good quality sellers are graded just like diamonds are graded. They are graded on colour, shape, nacre etc and the best quality are given as AAAA+. Of course freshwater pearls are cheaper than Akoya or South Sea etc but each type of pearl have their own grades within the category.
I bought loads of pairs of pearl earrings on eBay from China over the years. Beautiful, dyed of course but still years later perfect colours. I do have two pairs of natural undyed lilac with 9ct gold wires that were not that expensive back then.

Unpoular though my comment may be, Ralph comes off like a used car salesman. His pearls are not good quality and his ingratiating sales technique can give you the pukes. I recognize good quality pearls, and his ain't.

Good quality pearls can cost a bl*ody fortune as I found out. When my Mum passed away back in 1987 my Dad asked me to empty her wardrobe and drawers and I found a box with a broken string of pearls in it. I nearly put them in with the charity bag stuff but decided not to and asked my Dad about them. Dad said he thought my Mum had bought them sometime in the 1960`s but wasn`t sure and told me to either keep them or donate them. I kept them in a drawer and forgot about them.
Fast forward to my Dad passing away in 2003 and browsing through some old photos I noticed one of my Mum which was taken on her 21st birthday in the late 1930`s and she was wearing what looked to be the same pearls, she also seemed to be wearing them on her wedding photo taken in 1941 a few years later which made me realise they were much older than the 1960`s.
I dug out the pearls about 2 years ago and the clasp was broken as well as the string being in 2 pieces but each pearl had a knot between the next so thankfully none had been lost and through a magnifying glass I saw the brand name Mikimoto on the back of the clasp. I`d never heard of them but googled them and nearly had a heart attack at the price of them. I contacted them in London, sent a photo of the pearls, they said they would have to examine them to verify they weren`t fake or a copy but the genuine thing and they`d give me a price for a new clasp and restringing if they were genuine. It cost me nearly £600 to have a real Mikimoto clasp on them and restrung but they also gave me a valuation of £3,000 + for the pearls. They said looking at the original clasp that the pearls were dated around the 1930`s which fitted in with Mum perhaps getting them for her 21st birthday. I`ve still never worn them and if/when either of my granddaughters or if/when my youngest son marries his partner, then I`ll ask the bride of they`d like to wear them ? God knows what to do with them before I die because I only have the one string of them and 2 granddaughters plus 3 daughters in law or son`s partners. It`s a dilemma.

I must admit to being relieved when I read this thread. Often with past brand ambassadors when we get threads with their names in the title it's because they have died.
I had some Honora earrings and they resulted in me stopping wearing earrings entirely due to how badly irritated my ear lobes became, sadly.
Pearl necklaces however can be fun to wear.

Vienna - Yes, in top mags like Vogue and Harpers Bazaar (only seen them at the dentist) I've often seen glossy ads for Mikimoto pearls, so thank God you didn't give them to charity !!! wear them, they add 'class' to whatever you're wearing. As for the 'dilemma' I would sell them and split the money between them. You can't rely on who would want them, or who would get resentful further down the line.

Latest posts

Back