Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I wonder what the average viewing figures are for their peak time evening shows. All jokes aside do you reckon it's in the hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands?

I was 12 at the start of 1980, totally agree. Life wasn't perfect but we didn't have social media which can be a toxic environment and puts more pressure on young people. Plus inappropriate things they may see on the Internet.

Then there's climate change, house prices, and the fact that they probably won't be able to retire until they're 90☹️.

And growing up in the 70s we had better children's telly, The Muppett Show, Scoobie Doo, The Flintstones, and of course, my favourite, Wacky Races (see screen name😂)
There were negatives, of course. Intolerance of difference in people was publicly tolerated, whereas today it isn‘t. That doesn’t mean it isn’t still thought though.. Medical advances, I suppose are also significant over the last forty plus years since then. That said, we had to watch my partner’s beloved Collie put to sleep yesterday afternoon. She did actually pass away (a term I usually refuse to use). The pain in her eyes transformed to serenity as the anaesthetic took over and the pain melted away. But we are still as a society, prepared to let human beings die in agony. I know. I saw my wife die.

But life then was less complex, more structured, with clearer boundaries in our daily existences. Television shut down at night. Shops shut at a certain time with most big ones closed on a Sunday, Alcohol availability was not 24 hours a day as it is today. When you wanted contact with a person you visited, phoned, wrote. You didn’t send an emoticon or dumped somebody by text, for example. People communicated more directly with one another. People, generally, were more articulate, better educated, and more connected to one another. The first inclination at seeing a person in serious trouble in the street was not to get your phone out and film them. There was no phone to film them with. The media in general held back in what they showed you. Now, anything goes at any time.

I would give up the immediacy and instant accessibility of today’s 2023, 24 hour world to return to 1980 in a heartbeat. I‘m glad I saw the changes in some respects as part of the crossover born in the 1960s generation, but when my time does come, I won‘t regret leaving them behind.

And now…back to Simon Peters, flogging tat…

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what the average viewing figures are for their peak time evening shows. All jokes aside do you reckon it's in the hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands?
A few thousand at best. Probably less than that significantly at times. You can only watch a cheap and nasty drawing pad being unsold on so many occasions. I would take a guess a large number of the viewers they do have are watching to have a live voice in the room with them, or people like most of us on here, watching it for the unintended comedy factor of it all. Serious more comfortably off buyers, I don’t think are watching £9.99 this..£9.99 that ad infinitum..Victor Lewis Smith would have loved it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll occasionally have the YouTube feed on and the viewing numbers are usually in the teens on there. I've never see it reach 20 (that I can remember) and have seen it as low as 7.

There were negatives, of course. Intolerance of difference in people was publicly tolerated, whereas today it isn‘t. That doesn’t mean it isn’t still thought though.. Medical advances, I suppose are also significant over the last forty plus years since then. That said, we had to watch my partner’s beloved Collie put to sleep yesterday afternoon. She did actually pass away (a term I usually refuse to use). The pain in her eyes transformed to serenity as the anaesthetic took over and the pain melted away. But we are still as a society, prepared to let human beings die in agony. I know. I saw my wife die.

But life then was less complex, more structured, with clearer boundaries in our daily existences. Television shut down at night. Shops shut at a certain time with most big ones closed on a Sunday, Alcohol availability was not 24 hours a day as it is today. When you wanted contact with a person you visited, phoned, wrote. You didn’t send an emoticon or dumped somebody by text, for example. People communicated more directly with one another. People, generally, were more articulate, better educated, and more connected to one another. The first inclination at seeing a person in serious trouble in the street was not to get your phone out and film them. There was no phone to film them with. The media in general held back in what they showed you. Now, anything goes at any time.

I would give up the immediacy and instant accessibility of today’s 2023, 24 hour world to return to 1980 in a heartbeat. I‘m glad I saw the changes in some respects as part of the crossover born in the 1960s generation, but when my time does come, I won‘t regret leaving them behind.

And now…back to Simon Peters, flogging tat…
Sorry to hear about your partners dog, but it sounds like it was peaceful, and you're right about humans and animals being treated differently.

I agree about the intolerance that was tolerated back then, thankfully things are a lot better these days.

However I do find that technology makes me closer to people, for example family that I wasn't close to 30 years ago. We all had our own lives and didn't phone much. Now we have WhatsApp groups, are always in contact and meet up regularly. I take a pick and mix approach to technology. I'm on Facebook but hardly go on it. Not on Twitter or X as it is now. Don't look at TikTok or Snapchat. But I love being able to check train times easily, book theatre tickets in seconds, and order something online in M&S when it's out of stock in-store. Totally agree that parts of the internet are toxic, and the growth of AI is pretty scary but the genie is out of the bottle and can't be put back.

A few thousand at best. Probably less than that significantly at times. You can only watch a cheap and nasty drawing pad being unsold on so many occasions. I would take a guess a large number of the viewers they do have are watching to have a live voice in the room with them, or people like most of us on here, watching it for the unintended comedy factor of it all. Serious more comfortably off buyers, I don’t think are watching £9.99 this..£9.99 that ad infinitum..Victor Lewis Smith would have loved it.
My late mum used to have Bid TV on in the background when she was doing bits of housework. She never bought anything, never sat down and watched but used to listen to the nonsense and tell me what tat they were selling. She loved the Bid TV forum on here and was always asking me if there were any new comments😊

Latest posts

Back