Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

From reading the qvc portion of this forum, it seems that Q can do no right either haha.

you make perfectly valid points. I just feel that selly telly is bottom feeding more than ever, across the board.

I'm convinced that Catherine Huntley is not human, she just gets plugged into a charging station and is released each day when it is time for her to present.

I agree that shopping tv in general is not the pleasant experience it once was.In relation to the two most mentioned on this forum(QVC&IW) I believe that both channels are equally bad in lots of ways but at the moment QVC looks slightly better in comparison.However, the faux celebrity status some customers have given the presenters has been ruined by the abysmal presentation style some have managed and their pretentious and rude natures. This and the -we are the Harrods of Shopping TV -vibe that is exuded belies that there are indeed many dissatisfied customers(by reviews ).Over inflated prices do not automatically mean quality and a lot of the goods appear expensive for what they are.However,a lot of famous named goods appear which inspire trust in customers.Whatever the appearance it is still a very pushy high powered 'you need' 'must have this' selling channel.
IW doesn't tend to have a veneer.It's presenters are a mixed bag with some good to those who are very bad . It's sole reason to be is to sell ,sell,sell anything by whatever means possible . Obviously these are my opinions just based on how it looks to me.

Last edited:
IW took a steep downturn, IMO, when they made the crass decision to employ the Bid rejects. The antics of Pope Pete and Barra Boy have made the channel a laughing stock, although their antics are not funny, and their often disingenuous presentation tactics take away any credibility from the channel. IW seem to have very few products that they show live, hence the hours and hours of exercise equipment (oh gawd, January's coming up, it'll be exercise bikes for about 6 weeks non-stop) and vacuum cleaners, which are totally boring when repeated ad infinitum. They show no imagination whatsoever in their programme planning, and employing those 2 clowns shows contempt for their customers. This is just my opinion. I'd think the only way to order anything from this channel without driving yourself gaga is to do it via the website.

Last edited:
I've not ordered anything from any channel or their sites for almost a year now .If I really found anything needed for a reasonable price then maybe . There is so much out there on the web and in the shops to hunt around for the best deals.They are all competing for our custom.

They are selling a cheap and nasty vinyl record player and Janice is of course the expert.
'I'm a huge vinyl fan' she tells us whilst manhandling a 45 onto the platter with her fingers all over the playing surfaces.
A sure sign of someone who knows nothing about vinyl.

They are selling a cheap and nasty vinyl record player and Janice is of course the expert.
'I'm a huge vinyl fan' she tells us whilst manhandling a 45 onto the platter with her fingers all over the playing surfaces.
A sure sign of someone who knows nothing about vinyl.[/QUOTE

She's a huge vinyl fan today but will be a huge CD fan when they sell a
C D player. When she sells computers ,downloading tracks will be the bee's knees.
Bet that vinyl could do with wiping with a soft microfibre cloth.

As well as the nasty record player they're selling an overpriced jukebox (found elsewhere for £100; Ideal World's usual price is £299 :mysmilie_15:) as well as that STK smartphone featuring an undisclosed processor running a 2 year-old operating system.

Plus when they were selling the drone earlier this evening there was no word whatsoever of legal flying restrictions either in the sales pitch or as part of the on-screen product description from what I saw.

Apparently they sold out of the jukebox quickly when it was first sold at full price but no indication whatsoever of any sales stampede this time round despite the, erm, 'bargain' price...

State-of-the-art gadgetry from Ideal World :mysmilie_59:

Gen please leave was doing the usual spiel during the drone selling pitch - people were multi-buying, so get yours before they're all gone. Yeah, right, multi buying at nearly £70 each, not including p & p, when you could probably get the same for less elsewhere. You are absolutely right, neither Gen nor the guy who did the outside demo. said a word about it, and quite frankly I though Gen was more than usually manic - even for an IW presenter. Probably a sure sign that sales were dropping like a stone (or falling like a drone, should I say?).

As well as the nasty record player they're selling an overpriced jukebox (found elsewhere for £100; Ideal World's usual price is £299 :mysmilie_15:) as well as that STK smartphone featuring an undisclosed processor running a 2 year-old operating system.

Plus when they were selling the drone earlier this evening there was no word whatsoever of legal flying restrictions either in the sales pitch or as part of the on-screen product description from what I saw.

Apparently they sold out of the jukebox quickly when it was first sold at full price but no indication whatsoever of any sales stampede this time round despite the, erm, 'bargain' price...

Gen please leave was doing the usual spiel during the drone selling pitch - people were multi-buying, so get yours before they're all gone. Yeah, right, multi buying at nearly £70 each, not including p & p, when you could probably get the same for less elsewhere. You are absolutely right, neither Gen nor the guy who did the outside demo. said a word about it, and quite frankly I though Gen was more than usually manic - even for an IW presenter. Probably a sure sign that sales were dropping like a stone (or falling like a drone, should I say?).

Same drone, different colour.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Syma-X5HW...m&clk_rvr_id=1106704172748&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

They call it a Jukebox, I call it a Bluetooth speaker. I bet it sounds absolute crap!

They call it a Jukebox, I call it a Bluetooth speaker. I bet it sounds absolute crap!

Yes you're right; it isn't a jukebox at all but they seem to be able to call it a jukebox despite being just a Bluetooth speaker with additional input socket, flashing LED lights and remote control. I've heard something similar used in a local café and it's not exactly hi-fi as you might expect though at least its large speaker size doesn't make it sound too tinny.

I am a huge Vinyl fan and have a large collection I've had since the 80's - I know I don't old enough right! Lol

I am a huge Vinyl fan and have a large collection I've had since the 80's - I know I don't old enough right! Lol

Me too. I'm a huge vinyl fan.

And, like me, I fancy you wouldn't play your vinyl on that piece of crap. This is yet another piece of generic, badged up Ideal World 'Tech' that seems to be sold under all manner of names not just the appalling Intempo.

And like virtually all of Ideal World's 'tech' it's overpriced garbage. Playing classic tracks on that flimsy trash is an insult to talented Music Artists.

But if anyone is dead set on buying one then, of course, it's miles cheaper elsewhere, like in B&M.

We know you're only doing your job but honestly, what's being offered is derisory and a complete ripoff :down:

http://www.idealworld.tv/pp/valise-audio-3-speed-turntable-with-bluetooth-function%2c-inbuilt-speakers-rechargeable-battery-368638?fh_location=//idealworld/en_gb/categories@lt;{1004}/categories@lt;{8245}

http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/intempo-retro-bluetooth-turntable-red-3041101

Hi all been in hospital for an age and not been able to watc
Sadly have a lot of time now recovering at home so have been last few weeks!

The qvc v ideal debate is interesting.

Watched close to an equality amount of both.

Qvc

Postage seems to be creeping up last week a presenter mentioned buying 3 of an item and only paying 9 quid postage! Yikes the item price was only 20 quid or so.

On more than one occasion a presenter mentioned the easypay cost with no mention of the full price. Surprised to hear this on qvc.

The "fashion" beggers belief a mainly poly top for 90 quid! On material specs the tops are slightly better than ideals but then again ideal don't charge 90 quid for tat!

Ideal

Presenters well some seem even louder and manic than usual. Busiest part of show every minute seems unlikely. Think generally the louder they are the less they have been selling and some feel the pressure.

Just seen a gtech show with shaun. Very calm probably because it's a known brand at a competitive price kinda sells itself.

At points especially in the week it seems they lack products. I would be surprised if they made any money in the week probably make that up at the weekend.

Overall I would not be surprised if ideal didn't last the end of next year. Qvc seems to have some kind of hypnotic trance on a large customer Base who will pay a premium to think they are part of a family e.t.c

I also note from the qvc forum the regular deletion of negative reviews. There are plenty on ideal website not a good thing per say but at least a semblance of honesty.

Hope all are well

Very sorry to hear you've been in hospital, Asa watching man, and sending you best wishes for your recovery. I hope you will soon be feeling very much better.

Qvc

Postage seems to be creeping up last week a presenter mentioned buying 3 of an item and only paying 9 quid postage! Yikes the item price was only 20 quid or so.

On more than one occasion a presenter mentioned the easypay cost with no mention of the full price. Surprised to hear this on qvc.

The "fashion" beggers belief a mainly poly top for 90 quid! On material specs the tops are slightly better than ideals but then again ideal don't charge 90 quid for tat!

Ideal

Presenters well some seem even louder and manic than usual. Busiest part of show every minute seems unlikely. Think generally the louder they are the less they have been selling and some feel the pressure.

Just seen a gtech show with shaun. Very calm probably because it's a known brand at a competitive price kinda sells itself.

At points especially in the week it seems they lack products. I would be surprised if they made any money in the week probably make that up at the weekend.

Overall I would not be surprised if ideal didn't last the end of next year. Qvc seems to have some kind of hypnotic trance on a large customer Base who will pay a premium to think they are part of a family e.t.c

I also note from the qvc forum the regular deletion of negative reviews. There are plenty on ideal website not a good thing per say but at least a semblance of honesty.

Hope all are well

Sometimes I genuinely wonder how on earth QVC & Ideal World get away with it and then I remember how they get away with it.

Easybuy/Flexipay is how they get away with it, those magical installments soften the blow of the generally ripoff prices and always extortionate delivery charges.

But there'll surely come a time when it won't be enough. Nevertheless I have to say that overall Ideal World's merchandise is now resembling a B&M or T J Hughes clearance.

Except for the prices :mysmilie_59:

Qvc

Ideal

Hope all are well

Get well soon. I was in hospital for 3 weeks in April this year and it felt like a prison sentence, couldn't get home quick enough. Hope watching the shopping channels so much is not hindering your recovery!

One of the comments made about the Jukebox was that, if you have a friend who is getting married this is an imaginative present rather than a toaster (yeah, coz people still buy toasters for couples who have probably been living together for years...). It's a bl**dy big present and whilst I would be grateful that somebody had spent so much money on me, it would certainly take up a lot of room.

Sometimes I genuinely wonder how on earth QVC & Ideal World get away with it and then I remember how they get away with it.

Easybuy/Flexipay is how they get away with it, those magical installments soften the blow of the generally ripoff prices and always extortionate delivery charges.

But there'll surely come a time when it won't be enough. Nevertheless I have to say that overall Ideal World's merchandise is now resembling a B&M or T J Hughes clearance.

it's very interesting you mention that about the easy pay, as on the first series of the apprentice (usa/trump one) there was a task where the two teams had to pick and sell a product on qvc, with the highest sales figures winning of course.

What makes this relevant is that in 2004 (when it was made/aired) one of the teams chose a product that could be sold on easy pay and destroyed the other teams sales. Even Trump himself speculated that was why they won, as opposed to the presentation itself.

Flexipay etc. can only be a short term sales driver since it takes a month or more to pay off the debt and that money can't be used to buy new products.

Also it would be interesting to find out exactly what happens when someone misses a payment; do they send Poo Poo round to give you a lecture on bowels? :mysmilie_59:

Seriously, it isn't any form of traditional credit so I don't think they could legally use bailiffs if someone defaults on paying for their Vibrapower; perhaps they just repeatedly attempt to take payment as well as charging a late payment fee? Regardless, I don't think that the products themselves are worth that much more than a third of the full price they charge for them so any loss(es) would be fairly minimal.

Latest posts

Back