Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

See that Marius watch has copied the Vostok Europe Anchar's hands, except they are using lume instead of GTLS tubes.

You're lying again lassie, they don't meets ISO 6425, they may have been tested for 200 mtr water resistance, but that's not the same as meeting ISO 6425 standards.

And, despite your claim it did, the Palau watch CAN'T have passed ISO 6425 as it doesn't have a DIVING TIME INDICATOR.

LMAO

Miss idiot on the small seconds sub dial on the commodus - "now if you look at that closely, that second hand instead of ticking, second by second, appears to moving very slowly almost without interruption, and that is because you 21,600 BPH through this movement. I don't know if this is fully wound up as it's not sweeping as we want it to."

Yeah it's not sweeping like it should, it's like a watch we saw recently where it was sticking and jumping, strangely at the exact same area between 10-25 seconds, I wonder if Ronzy remembers the watch and if might be the same one as that had a small seconds sub dial also, maybe a similar Chinese movement, and your excuse doesn't seem plausable as it's sweeping ok before and after this section, plus the balance wheel, escape wheel and pallet are are moving as they should, which indicates the problem is not that it's not fully wound but something else entirely.

Edit to say used my sky + to go back on that segment and study that watch as best as you can with Shaun and camera moving, saw the same watch doing 3 revolutions of the small seconds dial, sweeps ok from 25 seconds to 60 seconds no problem, but on each 3 revolutions there is a problem between 5 and 25 seconds.

And then one of the Commodus with the bracelet is doing the same in the same area again.

Last edited:
Bit behind as was using Sky +

Miss Idiot who can't stop with spouting rubbish - "these are two fantastic brands, Shield is absolutely tremendous, it really is. These are tested by a criteria set by Swiss people, and you know how exacting Swiss, especially Swiss watchmakers. These are criteria set by people that really, really know the score when it comes to watches, every individual watch in the Shield collection is individually tested so it has to meet with certain criteria."

Which sounds great, but the only problem is they are not made in Switzerland, tested in Switzerland or even tested to Swiss ISO standards, why, because they are made in CHINA, where watchmakers are a law unto themselves and are ably supported by unscrupulous watch brands in the West.

None of those Shield watches in the show tonight would pass the ISO 6425 criteria if they were sent to the ISO in Switzerland for testing.

This comment came from Miss precision, as Shaun gave the RRP of £760 for a watch with a Miyota 8205 (standard run of the mill Miyota), yep some folks just don't know when to keep their trap shut.

"Those RRPs btw Shaun, every penny of those, i've worked in watch and jewellery for a long time, and i'm looking at these RRPs and i'm looking at the movements, looking at the build quality, the materials, the design. Every day of the week those RRPs are absolutely, they're literally on the web site, but absolutely eh completely fair and justified."

That would be the same RRPs that Jeff Freedman, president of Resultco, said, as consumers these days want a discount, "we enhance the retail price with the expectation the retailer will discount at purchase."

Aye, your "i've worked in watch and jewellery for a long time" credibility line, just went right out the window. :ROFLMAO:

This comment came from Miss precision, as Shaun gave the RRP of £760 for a watch with a Miyota 8205 (standard run of the mill Miyota), yep some folks just don't know when to keep their trap shut.

"Those RRPs btw Shaun, every penny of those, i've worked in watch and jewellery for a long time, and i'm looking at these RRPs and i'm looking at the movements, looking at the build quality, the materials, the design. Every day of the week those RRPs are absolutely, they're literally on the web site, but absolutely eh completely fair and justified."

That would be the same RRPs that Jeff Freedman, president of Resultco, said, as consumers these days want a discount, "we enhance the retail price with the expectation the retailer will discount at purchase."

Aye, your "i've worked in watch and jewellery for a long time" credibility line, just went right out the window. :ROFLMAO:
Obviously I don't know the answer to this, however I'd love to know the following for each watch IW sell:

1. The highest price it's selling for globally.
2. The lowest price it's selling for globally.
3. The average price it sells for globally.

I'd hazard a guess almost none of these watches sells for the RRP or anywhere near it. What does this tell you? The RRPs are mostly based on nothing more than as you say an inflated value to encourage sales of the product.

When a manufacturer knows it has a quality product coupled with demand, they can sell their products for or close to the RRP, without giving ridiculous discounts except perhaps for the occasional (genuine) sale. If the entire marketing world worked with RRPs the way these watch manufacturers and IW seem to we'd have this:

This new build house has an RRP of £1 million, however we're selling it for the great price of £250k.
This model of car has an RRP of £100k, however we're selling it for only £25k.

etc etc.

LMAO

Miss idiot on the small seconds sub dial on the commodus - "now if you look at that closely, that second hand instead of ticking, second by second, appears to moving very slowly almost without interruption, and that is because you 21,600 BPH through this movement. I don't know if this is fully wound up as it's not sweeping as we want it to."

Yeah it's not sweeping like it should, it's like a watch we saw recently where it was sticking and jumping, strangely at the exact same area between 10-25 seconds, I wonder if Ronzy remembers the watch and if might be the same one as that had a small seconds sub dial also, maybe a similar Chinese movement, and your excuse doesn't seem plausable as it's sweeping ok before and after this section, plus the balance wheel, escape wheel and pallet are are moving as they should, which indicates the problem is not that it's not fully wound but something else entirely.

Edit to say used my sky + to go back on that segment and study that watch as best as you can with Shaun and camera moving, saw the same watch doing 3 revolutions of the small seconds dial, sweeps ok from 25 seconds to 60 seconds no problem, but on each 3 revolutions there is a problem between 5 and 25 seconds.

And then one of the Commodus with the bracelet is doing the same in the same area again.
It was the Earnshaw Westminster on which the second hand jumped and skipped, probably the same Chinese movement. Managed watching up to 10 o'clock last night, then Miss Precision got on my nerves:rolleyes:
Claims to know all about watches and jewellery, she can spout on about the abilone & stuff but, "How does this watch work Emma?"
"Well magic fairies with jewels on their heads spin the cogs & springs to make them turn, or you can just google it" :unsure::ROFLMAO:

It was the Earnshaw Westminster on which the second hand jumped and skipped, probably the same Chinese movement. Managed watching up to 10 o'clock last night, then Miss Precision got on my nerves:rolleyes:
Claims to know all about watches and jewellery, she can spout on about the abilone & stuff but, "How does this watch work Emma?"
"Well magic fairies with jewels on their heads spin the cogs & springs to make them turn, or you can just google it" :unsure::ROFLMAO:
IW would refer to that as a design feature ;)

Ok remember that one, looked it up, has the same movement in it as last nights watch and behaved exactly in the same way.

Wonder if this is similar to the stuttering seconds that you can get with the Miyota 8215? :unsure:

Obviously I don't know the answer to this, however I'd love to know the following for each watch IW sell:

1. The highest price it's selling for globally.
2. The lowest price it's selling for globally.
3. The average price it sells for globally.

I'd hazard a guess almost none of these watches sells for the RRP or anywhere near it. What does this tell you? The RRPs are mostly based on nothing more than as you say an inflated value to encourage sales of the product.

When a manufacturer knows it has a quality product coupled with demand, they can sell their products for or close to the RRP, without giving ridiculous discounts except perhaps for the occasional (genuine) sale. If the entire marketing world worked with RRPs the way these watch manufacturers and IW seem to we'd have this:

This new build house has an RRP of £1 million, however we're selling it for the great price of £250k.
This model of car has an RRP of £100k, however we're selling it for only £25k.

etc etc.

I think with quality watchmaking brands, not always but on the whole, you'll find the RRP's tend to be closer to reality than not. Obviously the higher up the luxury scale you get, then of course the RRPs can get seem a bit higher to take account of percentage discounts of more exspensive watches can be quite a bit. IE 20% off a £500 watch is £50 but 20% off a £5000 watch is a £1000, so luxury brands will up the RRPs a bit so that dealers can still give a good discount and still make money. Although that's my guess cause i'm not an economics expert. :ROFLMAO:
On the other hand, there has been a lot of new brands in the last couple of decades, who don't make their own watches, but buy them in at substantially low cost from China and then set ridiculously high RRP's that are no where near indicative of the quality or value of the watch they are selling.

Just as an example, If we look at Shield last night,

The Shield Atlantis -200 mtr Dive watch – NH35 movement (prob £25 wholesale) – RRP £606 – Selling £149.99

And if we compare to say a established Swiss watchmaker.

Certina DS PH200M – 200 mtr Dive Watch - Powermatic 80.111 movement (hard to get a price, as these are movements, usually just used by the likes of Hamilton, Tissot, Mido and Certina, but in layman’s terms it’s an improved ETA2824 with an 80 hour power reserve, but will be a good bit more than £25 ;)) – RRP £680 – Selling £680 (in a sale, or if your a regular at your local jeweler, can get up to 20% off), but you’ll never pick this watch up new for £149.99 or near that, you might get a used one on ebay at that price, even then it would need to be one that hasn’t been looked after and in poor condition, in good condition would be closer to £400 for a used one.

I think the over inflated RRPs have two factors/reasons behind them and both reasons is to mislead and dupe potential buyers. One is to give the appearance that the watches are a quality product, way above their true quality value and secondly, the discount factor, where with an inflated RRP they can give way bigger discounts than normal and give the customer the feeling they are picking up a quality watch at a real bargain price, a too good to miss bargain.

One other thing you find as difference between say the Certina watch and the Shield watches in general, The Certina watch sells on it's merit, not it's price, it's sells because people know it's a quality watch, uses good movements etc, the brand has good quality control etc, with very little to no negative feedback. The Shield watches on the other hand will be like a lot of low cost Chinese made watches, a bit of a hit or miss, with very little quality control, you'll have a lot that work fine, and then you'll have some watches that stop working after week or two, hands falling off etc, the feedback will a real mixed back, some will like a lot and some with throw them in the bucket and comment on them being duped into buying cheap crap.
I know I've mentioned it a few times, but the fact that Shield watch has 660ft/220mtrs on the dial just screams out at the lack of quality control there must be at the factory where they are made.

I tend to watch a lot of Youtube watch review channels, the likes of Jenni Elle ( just done one of her husband giving her a Rolex as a wedding present & her reaction is priceless) etc, and there's a few on Earnshaw, you should listen to comments on quality:ROFLMAO:

Thinking of buying it because I really like the design, and heavily discounted for Black Friday week.

It is a Skagen quartz, any opinions on the brand.

They do reasonably priced fashion watches, unlike some of the brands on IW, they don't play the stupidly high RRP game. They are part of the Fossil group, so will be made in Fossil's Hong Kong factory, so would expect a decent level of quality control. Fossil also do the likes of Armani exchange, Emporio Armani, Michael Kors, Diesel etc.

Never actually held one, but they seem to have a nice clean minimalistic look to them.

I tend to watch a lot of Youtube watch review channels, the likes of Jenni Elle ( just done one of her husband giving her a Rolex as a wedding present & her reaction is priceless) etc, and there's a few on Earnshaw, you should listen to comments on quality:ROFLMAO:

I used to watch a lot at one time, not so many now, find they all tend to get sent the same watch to review and of course some of them are quite biased with their opinions, far too much the same. They're are a few i still like, Jodi is good for keeping you up todate with the latest bargain on Ali. :ROFLMAO: And some are a real laugh when you realise they really don't know about watches and are going on about how good this watch is and in reality it's just rubbish. :eek:But mostly it's handy to see the watch in the videos rather than just a picture on a sellers web site. Oh I like the watch repair channel or Richard Perrett, very interesting, and watchfinders & Co always make some quality videos, wish i could get some close ups of my watches like they do.

Is Jodi the Scottish lad in Australia? He's good to watch:cool: I like Adrian too, and for a laugh, Producer Michael, who goes to prove you can have more money than sense:ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back