Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I am pretty sure Mike of the Masons has said the same. Every pound and penny, blah blah.

The way I understood the distance selling regs was that the consumer had every right within 14 days to return goods for no reason. I assumed in any condition (not broken/damaged of course) and receive a full refund of items value. Some sellers allow more time, which is their choice.

Having googled and read a few sites it seems opening/using items is allowed under DSR, but the seller has every right to reduce the refund amount, right up to to the total value of the goods. Some goods are excluded within the regulations.
Thanks for that. Personally I don't often buy random items. No scratch that, I don't buy random items that I am unsure of via shopping tv. And I am certain if they are faulty it is a refund no quibble. But to actively encourage this onscreen is misleading

Is he honestly for real? yesterday he says its on record this March will be the coldest since the 70s, tonight he is saying we are now is spring and soon to be summer.

Pedro you have zero credibility.

Sure didn't feel very spring-like today.

It's either he doesn't care what he says, doesn't remember what he's said before or that he feels the need to say something to fill the time, regardless of content.

Ahh, so a few minutes ago Mark said the Opatra Toothbrush is the best he's seen for quite a long time, just now said its the best ever.

Has he be in training with ole Pedro?

Oh lookie, another indirect not the same item but similar direct comparison. £5.99 tape vs some for £40.98

Last edited:
Who on earth in this day and age would use a notepad?

Probably more people than feel the need to have a plastic waterfall fountain thing on their desk.
I'm afraid I still use pen and notebooks. I also have a couple of typewriters. I find these methods good for coming up with ideas. I have a a tablet and a laptop and a PC as well. If I'm in a meeting or brainstorming or whatever, my brain works better getting things down on paper.

It’s interesting, isn’t it. The new version’s business model seems very much based around low buy costs, high price sell on, high volumes, low rent goods, with so many items pitched around the £9.99 to £19.99 levels - 70 or 80 percent of the total numbers, perhaps? Assuming they only pay pennies per unit for in-bulk purchased stock that they are then asking nearly £10 per item for, if they are selling them, that is a pretty good return, surely? Then these beauty shows that I thought were at a set time in the mornings, but now intruding into schedules outside those times. They seem to almost entirely feature products with amazingly high manufacturer website RRPs - ones that you feel are pure fantasy in terms of anybody ever paying them. The interesting question is are these products being constantly shown because they are not selling, or because they do sell so well?

If TJC is doing well employing this method of selling, you really can’t see them needing to change. Why would they need to? What is confusing is why they would want to relocate these types of low cost items shows broadcast from a very small space to a much bigger studio, when they appear so cost conscious with everything else production wise? that said, there is no sign of the new studios appearing as yet. I assume if they do, new studio costs are tax deductible for the parent company?

It’s interesting, isn’t it. The new version’s business model seems very much based around low buy costs, high price sell on, high volumes, low rent goods, with so many items pitched around the £9.99 to £19.99 levels - 70 or 80 percent of the total numbers, perhaps? Assuming they only pay pennies per unit for in-bulk purchased stock that they are then asking nearly £10 per item for, if they are selling them, that is a pretty good return, surely? Then these beauty shows that I thought were at a set time in the mornings, but now intruding into schedules outside those times. They seem to almost entirely feature products with amazingly high manufacturer website RRPs - ones that you feel are pure fantasy in terms of anybody ever paying them. The interesting question is are these products being constantly shown because they are not selling, or because they do sell so well?

If TJC is doing well employing this method of selling, you really can’t see them needing to change. Why would they need to? What is confusing is why they would want to relocate these types of low cost items shows broadcast from a very small space to a much bigger studio, when they appear so cost conscious with everything else production wise? that said, there is no sign of the new studios appearing as yet. I assume if they do, new studio costs are tax deductible for the parent company?
It's hard to know. There's no getting away from how cramped it looks. If they have a larger space they can demo more items. Other health and safety issues to be considered. The Ideal World model fares better when they have demos of the products. They are learning that and it seems they have put effort in by bringing back Joe and Peter V (even though the forum doesn't rate him much). They spent £5m on the assets and name of Ideal World, I have to imagine they are willing to put effort in to see how it goes

It would be great if my memory was better. Following the collapse of IW2, I was watching TJC last year. Andy was selling some bottles of liquid plant feed and tomato feed, and said we are pratically giving it away at this price (just over £1 per bottle), because we ordered too much and need to clear the stock. We usually order stock in hundreds to low thousands. I think they had over 3,000 bottles of the feed for sale.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back