Red carpet manicure

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

iloveshopping

Registered Shopper
My red carpet manicure gel polishes are about 2 years old. When I applied one last week, it was very thin and took 3 coats and then the coverage was not good. I suspect the contents have separated. Any hints on how to shake it to mix it? I have read in the past that just shaking them causes bubbles.

i have sensationail the boots gel nails kit and you are actively encouraged to shake the bottle. the more you shake it the better the coverage

I keep all my polish(not Red Carpet), in the fridge. I was told to hold the bottle the right way up and roll between your hands. Just think your hands are cold and you are rubbing them together to warm them up.

I have always kept mine in the fridge, I have two large containers! Some of my polish is over two years old.

I keep the gel base and top coats in the fridge. I have just ordered a new set as my original set is almost finished after 2 years.
I keep the gel polishes in a cool spot in a case in the living room.

Grrr. I did not order the gel base and top coat! Somehow my order with John Lewis vouchers failed. I chucked the vouchers out because I thought my order had been successful. When I realised the order had failed the bins had already been collected so I could not retrieve the vouchers. £30 down the drain.
Are there any cheaper base and top coats that are good?

Hi ILS, have you got anything that would acknowledge the order because our recent experience with John Lewis knocks QVC CS into a cocked hat; we returned a rug that arrived damaged but after 3 weeks tracking showed they'd received it but there was still no refund. When we phoned they refunded there and then (no quibbles) and sent £20 as well for the bother.

By comparison I sent Q their own acknowledgement email for Emu slippers (years ago for a TSV) when the order disappeared from my account; their response was along the lines of "tough titty-puss"!

Hi ILS, have you got anything that would acknowledge the order because our recent experience with John Lewis knocks QVC CS into a cocked hat; we returned a rug that arrived damaged but after 3 weeks tracking showed they'd received it but there was still no refund. When we phoned they refunded there and then (no quibbles) and sent £20 as well for the bother.

By comparison I sent Q their own acknowledgement email for Emu slippers (years ago for a TSV) when the order disappeared from my account; their response was along the lines of "tough titty-puss"!
I called JL, I emailed them. I asked them to contact their IT department for a trace as I knew the time of the transaction but nothing but sympathy.
I am pretty sure a trace would work as at one point I entered an incorrect voucher number and the JL system responded that it was an incorrect number. I made the order on my IPad. If it had been my laptop, I may have had more luck getting into the entrails of the machine and finding the numbers.
So annoying as usually I would keep the vouchers until picking up the order but I am moving house soon as trying to chuck loads out.

Oh that's such a shame. I bought base and top coat direct from Red Carpet when they had an offer (a % off the whole site) so worth registering with them if you haven't already.

I hope your move to the S coast goes smoothly, (does a house move ever happen hitch-free?...but you know what I mean) :mysmilie_59: I hope you're v happy in your new home. J x

Just bought the Red Carpet Must Have It Essentials pack from look fantastic. It was £29.29 and free postage. It had the base and top coat then remover, the nail dehydrator and cuticle oil so not a bad price.
I have been shaking the bottles well before applying and the gel is staying in place a lot longer. Been on 16 days. Re growth is a problem now so will change it as soon as I have time.

Going off topic a bit but this is another product type where the story changes. I saw a nails show with the gel type polish that you apply like regular Polish and the guest was saying the use of UV systems isn't good for you, but of course when QVC are selling RCM it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I have been rather hoping Q would sell Leighton Denny's new system which claims not to damage the natural nail -it's a LED or UV light system for about £70 - it would be a chance to use the 30 mbg as when I borrowed a friends gel .Kit it ruined my nails (I suspect user error but it took ages to recover them )

Does anyone know if Shellac is bad for the nails? It's stopping me biting them so I want to carry on with it. I thought it must be better than artificial nails.

Advice, please xx

just getting it off imo damages the nails. but normal nail varnish lasts less than 1 day so i just use it

I'm currently using and enjoying Shellac. It is less thick than other gels, and feels just like normal nail varnish. It comes off with some acetone nail varnish removers - you do still need to do the wrap in foil mallarkey.

Normally if I get a standard manicure, it lasts me a couple of days when done professionally. I'm getting 3 weeks out of Shellac, even doing the washing up without gloves. For the first time ever, I am really able to get some length on my nails - not masses, as my nails are a nightmare - they bend, they break, they flake. I dare say I will need to take a break from it at some point, to let my nails breathe, but for summer, I'm loving it!

I'm like the voice of doom on these threads but Shellac absolutely destroyed my nails and I'm someone who normally has naturally strong, long nails. Great whilst I was using it but the minute I stopped my nails fell apart. I had flaking, splitting nails that took months to recover.

In my experience in absolutely does damage and weaken the nails. My shellac experience means I would never use any kind of gel again. A couple of years on and my nails are back to their normal talons.

I'm like the voice of doom on these threads but Shellac absolutely destroyed my nails and I'm someone who normally has naturally strong, long nails. Great whilst I was using it but the minute I stopped my nails fell apart. I had flaking, splitting nails that took months to recover.

In my experience in absolutely does damage and weaken the nails. My shellac experience means I would never use any kind of gel again. A couple of years on and my nails are back to their normal talons.

I've been using shellac then more recently RCM for the last 5 years and my nails are now lovely and long .
The only thing I'd say is DO NOT pick the gel coat off as that will lift some of your natural nail with it , always soak them off - i use cheapo acetone from tesco for £1 it works the same as all the fancy ones the brands try to con you into buying

Was it a recent experience with Shellac? It's improved a lot, I believe. I spoke to someone who had a similar experience to you, a few years ago, but has had more success recently with it.

I think, though, bottom line is that there is no product which will have exactly the same effect on everyone who tries it. We are all completely unique, so it's not a guarantee of success/failure but an indication of possibility, when we explain our experience.

I'd never use gel again - my one experience of it was enough. I found it too thick and artificial - couldn't feel my natural nails at all. It took two attempts to get it working as with my super-bendy nails it kept lifting.

Whether going for gels, acrylics or Shellac, if you are like me and have nail beds which are quite thin, I think it's essential that the buffing to roughen the surface is only gentle.

As jordie tart says - don't pick! If you use acetone or proprietary remover - make sure you've got your cotton wool well soaked - it should feel wet. And be patient - leave it on for several minutes. Then use an implement which glides across the surface of the nails to dislodge it, and don't dig in. If it doesn't come off in the first go, reapply your remover to soften the rest of the polish/gel. Actually - it's pretty good advice for taking off any glittery nail polish, to be honest.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back