Rent A Ruth

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Not quite the same as a cruise but our youngest daughter treated us to an afternoon tea on the Belmont British Pullman hosted by Mary Berry. It was a thank for her wedding although we insisted there was no need. Well, it felt as though our hostess wished she wasn’t there. She exchanged a few words with us and refused requests for photographs. I can’t bring myself to share the cost per head for the tea and I still feel upset when I remember how disappointed my daughter was even though we told her we had had a wonderful time.
Sounds like my idea of hell. Thought that counts?

I'm the same Lemonpop. No kids, and the nieces/nephews will share their inheritance from their parents - I'm generous enough at wedding presents and birthdays, so I too shall take a chunk from my house and let the Carnival begin !!!! I'll leave enough for my funeral and various animal charities and thats it.

Doesn't surprise me about Mary Berry. A lot of these 'butter wouldn't melt' tv personalities are far from pleasant in real life. A friend related her experience of being in the orbit of Alan Titchmarsh, and discovered he was a most unpleasant person in real life, and now refuses to watch any programme with him in it.

( Going further back, a friend of mine who was high up in Wardrobe at the BBC back in the day, dished the dirt on how Cilla Black was the least popular person amongst the backroom staff, and how Russ Abbot - when he had his tv show, was a delight !)

We are going on the Yorkshire Belle on 16th December. We get a champagne breakfast and 5 course lunch plus wine. It is a treat for having 5 holidays cancelled and not holding out much hope for our October one. Expensive yes but can't take money with you when you die and adds friend was told by their money advisor "if you have any money left when you die you haven't lived ". Not sure I agree that sentiment but as we have no children and a lot of relatives are "persona non grata" we have taken some money out of our house.

Oooh that’s lovely, have a great time and with having no children splash it on yourselves. When it’s our time to shuffle off, everything gets split 50/50 between our two sons, but yeah if we had no children it’d be splashed on us, because as they say, there’s no pockets in a shroud. 🙏❤️

Doesn't surprise me about Mary Berry. A lot of these 'butter wouldn't melt' tv personalities are far from pleasant in real life. A friend related her experience of being in the orbit of Alan Titchmarsh, and discovered he was a most unpleasant person in real life, and now refuses to watch any programme with him in it.
What I don't get about Mary Berry is all this going on as if she's been around as a 'famous telly cook' forever. I actually don't remember her at all until Bake Off started, and I certainly don't remember her being 'big' on the television in the way Delia Smith or Keith Floyd were back in the day - or going even further back, Fanny and Major Johnnie, or Marguerite Patten. Mary Berry was completely off my radar, and all of a sudden she seems to have become a substitute HRH Queen Elizabeth II for some folk.

She's just too nice for me (or likes to appear 'too nice', anyway). She's what I imagine the Women's Institute would come up with if they could create 'The Perfect Old Lady'.

Glad I'm not the only one Crafty ! I confess I had never heard of her either ! Perhaps she was on the tele in some of the regional stations, but like you, I can only remember Delia. She's certainly coined it in since Bake Off, making millions in associated products. I'm all for us 'oldies' having a late career, but honestly ? I thought she had lost the plot when her and Hollywood made Nadya Hussein the bake off Champ.

What I don't get about Mary Berry is all this going on as if she's been around as a 'famous telly cook' forever. I actually don't remember her at all until Bake Off started, and I certainly don't remember her being 'big' on the television in the way Delia Smith or Keith Floyd were back in the day - or going even further back, Fanny and Major Johnnie, or Marguerite Patten. Mary Berry was completely off my radar, and all of a sudden she seems to have become a substitute HRH Queen Elizabeth II for some folk.

She's just too nice for me (or likes to appear 'too nice', anyway). She's what I imagine the Women's Institute would come up with if they could create 'The Perfect Old Lady'.
Glad I'm not the only one Crafty ! I confess I had never heard of her either ! Perhaps she was on the tele in some of the regional stations, but like you, I can only remember Delia. She's certainly coined it in since Bake Off, making millions in associated products. I'm all for us 'oldies' having a late career, but honestly ? I thought she had lost the plot when her and Hollywood made Nadya Hussein the bake off Champ.
She did a series in the 70s, I think it was with Judith Chalmers, & can remembering watching it with my mum. After that she did a few more from her kitchen, which was very pretty; I've always seen her as a baker & cake maker rather than a general cook.

When I was a very little girl I worked with The WHO and they were wonderful specially Roger Daltery. Trying to think of other people I have met.

Anna Raeburn agony aunt was a neighbour of mine. she was a real hoot. extremely funny. Ahh and Greg Wise and his very famous wife are the salt of the earth. sooo lovely and chatty. `their daughter and my youngest are the same age. Always stopped for a chat.

We are going on the Yorkshire Belle on 16th December. We get a champagne breakfast and 5 course lunch plus wine. It is a treat for having 5 holidays cancelled and not holding out much hope for our October one. Expensive yes but can't take money with you when you die and adds friend was told by their money advisor "if you have any money left when you die you haven't lived ". Not sure I agree that sentiment but as we have no children and a lot of relatives are "persona non grata" we have taken some money out of our house.
I dont believe in living half a life so that family can bicker over money when your gone. Enjoy every penny. Buy the best food, wine, bedding and fancy upgraded holidays you can muster

I'm the same Lemonpop. No kids, and the nieces/nephews will share their inheritance from their parents - I'm generous enough at wedding presents and birthdays, so I too shall take a chunk from my house and let the Carnival begin !!!! I'll leave enough for my funeral and various animal charities and thats it.

( Going further back, a friend of mine who was high up in Wardrobe at the BBC back in the day, dished the dirt on how Cilla Black was the least popular person amongst the backroom staff, and how Russ Abbot - when he had his tv show, was a delight !)
Cilla Black was almost universally hated by anyone who had the misfortune to meet her by all accounts. A very nasty woman apparently, but the way the tabloids reacted after her death and you’d have assumed that she was on her way to receiving a sainthood.

Cilla Black was almost universally hated by anyone who had the misfortune to meet her by all accounts. A very nasty woman apparently, but the way the tabloids reacted after her death and you’d have assumed that she was on her way to receiving a sainthood.
Watched the programme with with Sheridan Smith and she didn't come across as nice at all.

Did anyone watch Mary Berry on Who Do Yo Think You Are? We were struck by how unaffected she seemed to be by her ancestor's very hard life - workhouse, the lot. Haven't looked at her the same way since then. But maybe I'm a harsh judge.

All the cabin crew on British Airways absolutely hated her. There is a forum somewhere for BA staff, and it’s full of stories about her.

Latest posts

Back