Rent A Ruth

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

She did a series in the 70s, I think it was with Judith Chalmers, & can remembering watching it with my mum. After that she did a few more from her kitchen, which was very pretty; I've always seen her as a baker & cake maker rather than a general cook.
I think she was more well known as the resident cookery writer for a Good Housekeeping type of magazine around the 60’s and 70’s. Unless you read that particular magazine, you wouldn’t have a clue who she was.

She did a series in the 70s, I think it was with Judith Chalmers, & can remembering watching it with my mum. After that she did a few more from her kitchen, which was very pretty; I've always seen her as a baker & cake maker rather than a general cook.
Good old Judith Chalmers - I used to love 'Wish You Were Here'! Thinking about it, I think Mary Berry used to do the odd slot on Pebble Mill at One - like The Cooking Canon.

Good old Judith Chalmers - I used to love 'Wish You Were Here'! Thinking about it, I think Mary Berry used to do the odd slot on Pebble Mill at One - like The Cooking Canon.
I loved it too. When I was taking my O levels (dinosaurs were still walking the Earth) I wasn't sure about staying at school & applied for an apprenticeship at Pebble Mill. I was offered a place but being young, & liking many of my teachers, I agreed to stay on & do my A levels; that's how I met my Mr T & he's given me a wonderful life. However, occasionally I wonder what it would have been like to work in TV & by now I could be a tat peddler on the Q 🤣🤣🤣

Did anyone watch Mary Berry on Who Do Yo Think You Are? We were struck by how unaffected she seemed to be by her ancestor's very hard life - workhouse, the lot. Haven't looked at her the same way since then. But maybe I'm a harsh judge.
I love that programme. I didn't see the one with her, but those moments of emotion about the people they came from but didn't know, define the person finding out about their family. Barbara Windsor & Robert Lindsay were overwhelmed at times, I am biased because love both of them, & Griff Rhys Jones' response to finding out the truth about his mother's family was both sad & funny.

Does anyone remember a program called Houseparty that used to be on in the afternoons, ladies sitting around a table talking, crafting and cooking? I have a feeling that Mary Berry might have been on that or it could be that my memory is playing tricks
Good grief I do & I must have watched it when away from school. It was the Loose Women of the day, except it was genteel & if MB wasn't on it she should have been.

Talking of afternoon programmes of the past, anyone remember the Living channel that used to be on Sky?
There was a magazine type prog on every afternoon, hosted by Jayne Irving, can't remember what it was called, but ran for a few years I think.
On day I was at home so thought I'd watch it. Jayne did her usual intro then said "today we have a new co-presenter, Debbie Flint" 🙄 cue the camera zooming in on that grinning face.

The Living channel closed down shortly after, so that was that 🤭😏

Cilla Black was almost universally hated by anyone who had the misfortune to meet her by all accounts. A very nasty woman apparently, but the way the tabloids reacted after her death and you’d have assumed that she was on her way to receiving a sainthood.
Oh, the stories about our Cilla are in their hundreds and famous. Cabin crew really hated her for demands when flying.

Does anyone remember a program called Houseparty that used to be on in the afternoons, ladies sitting around a table talking, crafting and cooking? I have a feeling that Mary Berry might have been on that or it could be that my memory is playing tricks
Gosh, that's a blast from the past - I haven't thought of that programme for years! And I think you're right about MB on it.

Particularly now when nobody can control who's taking sly ones with a pinpoint accuracy zoom lens which can be cropped and edited afterwards. Way to go with slebs is obviously to have a friend with a camera at a distance.

Was Mary Berry's tea any good for the money ? Did they use her recipes ? I can understand why she didn't allow photos, but it still seems a bit anal of her.
All I can say is that it wasn’t the best afternoon tea we’ve had. The whole train experience was really good though. Our group didn’t ask for a photo but others did and they were clearly surprised and disappointed at the response. I sympathised with them. It wasn’t some random meeting with her, they were there, paying a lot of money because it was her.

I met MB at a demonstration and book signing with Paul Hollywood.She did seem a nice down to earth lady but compared with Mr I love myself she would be She chatted in a friendly way he was just his offhand full of himself as I imagine he usually is.

These people need to get over themselves. I dont get the excuse that they 'are always pestered for photographs' , well thats part of their job. If they go into a public life, and do publicity tours or events where they appear and get paid for it, then thats the payback. Just smile, do the deed and go home. If ever I met anyone who was offhand I would tell them exactly that, - they are no better than us, they've just been on the tele thats all.

HEADLINES in two mags this week.

RUTH & EAMONN RAKE IN THE CASH...Eamonn Holmes and Ruth Langsford may not have been working on This Morning much, but they've boosted their earnings by £1 million thanks to their businesses. Their firm 'Homes and Away' took more than £500,000 in 2020, while 'Red,White and Green' has £1.1 million in cash and £1.7m in investments. Ruth's 'Hey-Ho Ltd' has £1.5m. Not too shabby.

TV MILLIONAIRES..Ruth Langsford and Eamonn Holmes increased their fortunes by more than £1 over the past year. The telly couple's joint company 'Homes /and Away', as well as their individual firms - Eamonn's Red,White and Green' and Ruth's Hey-Hot Ltd - have been boosted. Ruth has had a new QVC range, while Eamonn worked at talkRADIO before quitting in February 2020. Eamonn 63 also revealed he has some relief from his chronic pain, thanks to steroid injections. He said "for the first time in five weeks, I feel good".

Not doing too bad are they.

Latest posts

Back