Returns and `The letter`

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I never used to return a lot of things but the last couple of years if I am not sure about something I do return it but I don't just fill in the returns "changed mind" box, I tick did not match expectations and tell them why. If I ever do get this letter they will get a very snotty one back. A lot of their products especially jewellery aren't of the same standard as they were years ago and I do not see why the customer should put up with rubbish products. Was tempted by the Skechers TSV today as on the Skechers website the same shoes are £41 but do not want the aggravation of sending back.

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum but have been reading it avidly for a few weeks now! I am intrigued by what you say about QVC penalising people for making too many returns (wonder how many is too many?!) and have never heard of the DSR regs - am I missing out on something? Can anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks in advance :happy:

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum but have been reading it avidly for a few weeks now! I am intrigued by what you say about QVC penalising people for making too many returns (wonder how many is too many?!) and have never heard of the DSR regs - am I missing out on something? Can anyone enlighten me please?

Hello & welcome!
I believe someone once posted that 50% was danger zone. I'm sure someone will correct that if I'm wrong.
Have fun Princess Pickle シ

If you decide you don't want an item bought by mail order (incl QVC) but haven't used it you can contact the seller in writing (email is fine) and inform them that you are cancelling the order under the DSR and when they refund your purchase price, they must also refund the original P&P paid (you still have to pay the return costs unless you can arrange collection).

QVC reserve the right to suspend or cancel your account if you return more than 50% of the items ordered but (as you'll see above) we have no idea how they calculate this figure, what type of returns are included, nor the time period used. When I got the letter it was years before I knew about the DSR so mine was based on returns where I paid the p&p there and back.

Jude xx

PS Welcome PP xx

Hello and Welcome PrincessPickle!!! And a wave of the SnarlyPaw from near-Tenby-way on the BBC weathermap. (other branded weather maps, do of course, apply ... hey, that's how I learn Geography!) ;-)

The 'letter' I received a couple of weeks back actually stated a return rate of 58%, so dont know if this is new as my first letter never actually stated a percentage. I have ordered quite a lot of things recently and then cancelled the order before shipping or cancelled advanced orders so guess thess also count towards that percentage which is totally unfair

Hi guys,

"The Distance Selling Regulations were passed to protect consumers when they shop online or enter into other contracts at a distance from the supplier. The rationale for giving consumers special protection in such deals is that the consumer does not have the benefit of meeting face-to-face with the supplier and inspecting the goods or services offered for sale.*"

There's some more info here:
http://m.direct.gov.uk/syndicationC...G_183048&utn=e9d0c2d452db49fdb862201205110942

Things may have changed at QVC Towers, as I left QVC 2 years ago. The letter was automatically sent by the finance department if a person returned over 50% of their goods. This did not include cancelled before shipping or advanced orders. As I never used the DSR, because I couldn't be bothered to write to them, I don't think that has anything to do with it. Once the letter has gone your account is flagged and monitored over 6 months. If the returns go down nothing more happens, until the computer spits out another over 50% period - which is not recorded over a short period, say a couple of weeks of bad luck, but at least 3 months. There is no difference, as far as they are concerned, with why an item was returned - a return is a return and is counted as such whether it was faulty, not used, cancelled within 7 days, etc. Usually if they have to send a third letter it is a warning that your account will be closed if returns are not reduced over the next 6 months - they specified a time period. I think what may actually happen is that whenever the next period of over 50% returns happens they have the right to close the account, as they have warned you they would do so. This is what happened to me, it was closed without warning almost a year after the 3rd letter saying they would be watching over the next 6 months was received. HTH

I remember youu posting about your account closure on here at the time Concordia. I'm guessing you've coped without QVC and your life didn't end without them?

Jude xx

:heartbroke:Had withdrawal for a while, 15 years together is a long time. :cheeky: I even tried to set up an account in the OH's name - didn't work, don't bother to try it. How sad is that! BUT I no longer even watch, have gone off all the shopping channels, and have :cash: which I never had before. I realized that even though I live in the middle of nowhere I don't need a stash of Yankee Candles, a wardrobe full of Kim & Co., and enough beauty products to open my own shop. Thank you QVC!:rock::clapping:

Last edited:
:heartbroke:Had withdrawal for a while, 15 years together is a long time. :cheeky: I even tried to set up an account in the OH's name - didn't work, don't bother to try it. How sad is that! BUT I no longer even watch, have gone off all the shopping channels, and have :cash: which I never had before. I realized that even though I live in the middle of nowhere I don't need a stash of Yankee Candles, a wardrobe full of Kim & Co., and enough beauty products to open my own shop. Thank you QVC!:rock::clapping:

Glad to see that you are still on the forum

Thanks everyone and thanks for the kind welcome too.

The DSR thing is interesting and probably worth a try sometime because the P&P certainly does add up, especially when you're returning things too. I find it strange that QVC make such a virtue of the 30 day money back guarantee only to turn around and clobber someone for taking advantage of it!

I'd like to say that if they tried to kick me out I'd be strong enough to close my account and walk away - however, in reality I know that I would miss my Lulu bags and Dennis Basso coats, especially when they come on easy-pay.........A hopeless case, I know! :giggle:

Hey PrincessPickle! A tip I picked up on here was to send a number of items in their individual envelopes including bar-coded return slips in a big package. That package to show Qs address, no bar-codes. I sent back 3 eek-yucky rings that way, received 3 emails to confirm their refunds, and saved a little on the return p&p. Tip-if the presenters don't mention the equivalent carat weight of the jewellery, then it's little-bitty and not worth ordering; they fooled me on that one!

Hve had a spate of returns recently & am counting the cost!I started a thread recently 'When will I learn' well not so far it seems! I will have to give myself a stern talking to & finally get out of the QVC click habit, banish the laptop when watching.If I did get THE letter they would be doing me a favour, although I am determined to do it all by myself, cold turkey.

When Debbie Greenwood was on last weekend on a Tianna B show she went on and on about the 30 day MBG, encouraging people to try the dresses, take them away for weekend, wear them, wash them etc then send them back, clearly encouraging viewers who do just want free (postal costs) rental of a dress for an occasion. The message was clear, exploit the MBG by all means (probably boosting her sales figures). Surely if QVC want to reduce return rates a good place to start would be with the selling techniques they allow.

When Debbie Greenwood was on last weekend on a Tianna B show she went on and on about the 30 day MBG, encouraging people to try the dresses, take them away for weekend, wear them, wash them etc then send them back, clearly encouraging viewers who do just want free (postal costs) rental of a dress for an occasion. The message was clear, exploit the MBG by all means (probably boosting her sales figures). Surely if QVC want to reduce return rates a good place to start would be with the selling techniques they allow.

This is a perfect example of the type of hype to quote in defence of you returns; if you can quote a presenter and a specific show in which the type of claims were made, even if they weren't the statements you relied on when you decided to order, it does at least register another point to justify your returns. It probably won't save your account or cause presenters to curb their enthusiasm but it's worth challenging their perception that they're right.

Jude

PS Power to the people!

I have returned about 12 things in a row recently, all beauty items that I was disappointed with, but I didn't send them back under the DSR's. I haven't received a letter - yet - and hopefully I won't, but I do feel guilty every time I have to send something back.

PrincessPickle is a newbie and maybe doesn't know what the B thing is. Before my time, but I gather that DBasso sells fur coats and there was a thread on here about it. I never got out my oar to stir up the waters; safer, I think. As one of our forumites so eloquently puts it, "Get out the tin hat!" And peer out occasionally to see if it's safe. My take on it, anyway.

I don't twitter or facebook, but am wondering if any of you know ... is this a problem with Q in the other countries they broadcast in? What is it, 4 others? Do they have the same policy? Curious, I am.

Latest posts

Back