Sensitive eyes -recommendations for eye cream

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Sussex Shopper

Registered Shopper
Hi - have recently got excema on my eye lids and under eyes, along with really sore and itchy eyes. I'm using hydrocortisone cream from the doctor, but have stopped using my normal eye cream (M&S) as it stings! I've never been prone to allergies, or sensitive, so its all new to me. I'm worried that at my age (49) I really do need to be using an eyecream, and this excema just keeps hanging on in there - currently 3 weeks.

Do any of you have any recommendations for eyecreams that I could safely use alongside the hydrocortisone?

Many thanks in advance

Poor you, sounds awful. I would say something with no fragrance in it and as gentle as possible. How about looking for a eye gel with aloe vera to smooth. When your eye lids are better then think about going back to full on eye cream.

Ooooh poor you! My eyes itch & water at a lot of things but have been much letter of late. I've been using Elemis Pro Collagen Marine Cream. Didn't think it would suit but amazingly it has. Perhaps check a cream on a small dab of your eyelid first. With Q at least you,ve got the 30 day mbg to find out.
Just don't pay full price on Q if considering the PCM elemis cream! Much cheaper on Ebay or as part of a set on Q or a cosmetic site x.

Last edited:
I'm sure you have been warned by your GP about the limited use of hydrocortisone around the sensitive eye area - short periods only. It thins & dries out the skin.

Your eye makeup or eye makeup remover might not be helping. Many contain chemicals that can irritate your skin even if you've used the same one for years. Skin changes as do ingredients.

You could try a little (and I do mean little) Olive oil once you've finished with the hydrocortisone cream. I would be loathe to use anything while you are using HC. Once you have the eczema under control I would be very cautious with eye creams. In my experience they can cause more trouble than benefit.

all i can advice is to use your prescribed meds & as a basic skin moisturiser i was advised to use aquas cream , it was basically because i had infected eczema all over my body resulting from a cat allergy , well the dander in there coat was the cause

i still use the aquas from time to time on elbows & heels when there very dry

Thanks all so far for your advice, comments and sympathy. I think I may try the olive oil trick first, as a) it's cheap and b) I have some of it in the house from a short lived experiment with cleaning my face with it.

I do look pretty horrid at the moment. To top it all, I was terribly sick last night, and I've got little red pin pricks all round my eyes from retching so much, as well as the redness and irritation. Think I might keep my sunglasses on!

Apologies if this is TMI!

Just wondered how you were getting on Sussex Shopper.

Any improvement ?

Thanks all so far for your advice, comments and sympathy. I think I may try the olive oil trick first, as a) it's cheap and b) I have some of it in the house from a short lived experiment with cleaning my face with it.

I do look pretty horrid at the moment. To top it all, I was terribly sick last night, and I've got little red pin pricks all round my eyes from retching so much, as well as the redness and irritation. Think I might keep my sunglasses on!

Apologies if this is TMI!
Oooh bless you! I really hope it calms down very soon! I get skin allergies, have done since my mid teens. All can be completely calm for years then BAM, months of highs & lows, including excema, acne & acne rosacea so can empathise. Aqueous cream is cheap I think, get it in chemists. E45 cream used lightly may also help. Obagi rosaclear has been a confidence changer for me, got rid of my lovely red map & small red lumps around my nose & cheeks, They do other ranges for different ailments and I believe can be prescribed. They originally started as prescription only but you can get them far cheaper from Ebay now from beauty retailers. Hope that helps xx. Olive oil sounds a good 1st option tho, extra virgin if you have it as that's purer.

Last edited:
Minim, thanks for the reply. It seems to be under control thank goodness. I've stopped the hydrocortisone cream, and am now just using the olive oil (cold pressed, extra virgin, and organic). Just a wait and see now to see if the itching comes back. At least I've been able to stop wearing my sunglasses!

I'm going to get a tub of aqueous cream to have on hand, and will investigate the Obagi range. I've also been recommended Golden Ointment as it has manuka honey in it which apparently is good for excema.

I do so appreciate all your help and good wishes ladies. I think I've been lucky to avoid allergies most of my life, and some of you sound like you really have a lot to put up with

An alternative if you can't get acqueos cream is doublebase. Funny stuff more gel like in texture. Oddly despite its texture I think it's more moisturising. I'd use either in preference to anything else including E45 if your skin is just recovering. Slowly slowly is the best way.

Latest posts

Back