Decluttering!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

No decluttering today..just dusting and vacuuming. Just put the xmas decs up and noticed how dusty the front room is. Cleaning is probably another thread in the making, but as I said before I think, the more decluttering you do the more you notice how much things need a jolly good clean and dust. Got the whole week off work, so perhaps I should get scrubbing..there's not much else to do!

Last edited:
My food cupboard gets a thorough clear out about twice a year and I’m constantly amazed at items which are out of date despite “being positive” that it was only bought a couple of weeks ago. These tend to be speciality sauces, spices pickles etc which are bought on a whim but not your everyday ingredients so tend to be forgotten about but I’m convinced the sell by dates must have been poor. I do try to check dates before I buy but some are so hard to see and other times I forget.

because of lockdown I’ve bought very little (normally I could buy as an Olympic sport) . This is the first year in many which I have not bought shoes or boots or anything in sales. Mind you considering the massive increase in food prices I’m not any better off.

My food cupboard gets a thorough clear out about twice a year and I’m constantly amazed at items which are out of date despite “being positive” that it was only bought a couple of weeks ago. These tend to be speciality sauces, spices pickles etc which are bought on a whim but not your everyday ingredients so tend to be forgotten about but I’m convinced the sell by dates must have been poor. I do try to check dates before I buy but some are so hard to see and other times I forget.

because of lockdown I’ve bought very little (normally I could buy as an Olympic sport) . This is the first year in many which I have not bought shoes or boots or anything in sales. Mind you considering the massive increase in food prices I’m not any better off.

Anything highly pickled and spicy will last well past the BBE date.

I have whipped the vacuum round my house today - not thorough, just the main traffic areas. Rather a lot in the dust canister. I've also vacuum-dusted in my living room. Window sills and windows to be cleaned tomorrow, and getting my hands dirty with the dusting... but first I will have a go at some decluttering. No point trying to clean more without getting some stuff tidied or thrown away first.

My mission today is to deal with those "walls of fabric" I keep referring to. I'm going to begin by thinning out the coat rack in the hallway, jackets and lightweight coats can be hung upstairs 'cause I doubt it there'll be a day warm enough to wear them anytime soon. My Joules mac can be folded down into it's bag and tucked away..I might even find something I can get rid of with a bit of luck. It doesn't help that OH's main winter coat is a chuffin' great thing with a fur trimmed hood, it's big and rigid and I'm sure it would stand up on its own, when that's on the rack it takes over lol! In fact I'm going to find any summery stuff including lighter bathrobes and store them in the cupboards upstairs, get the stuff out of the bathroom that's now dry and get that put away....and dry the next lot in the washer/dryer..it might take about 3 goes as it's rubbish compared with the standalone one I used to have. No point trying to dry anything outside at the moment cause even if it doesn't get rained on it doesn't get dry....Get the ironing bag emptied...so yes it's all about the fabric today...but not gonna start just yet in the next hour....I need to relax with my cuppa first!

I've been at it just a bit under an hour and I've got a lot done....but I've still got a wall of fabric but a much smaller one. Coat rack's looking good. I've reorganised Oh's stuff and thinned out his main wardrobe & the ironing bag removing about 8 pairs of shorts, and about 6 summer shirts, and umpteen t shirts. I've bagged them and put them away in one of the cupboards upstairs. I found an unused trouser hanger so I've managed to get 4 pairs of trousers on that, so that's helped. I've emptied the small wardrobe in the bedroom and have folded the random jumpers and polo shirts that were hanging up in there and put them neatly on the shelves instead and in drawers. I've taken all his occassion wear like posh overcoats and suit jackets and they're staying in the bedroom wardrobe and everything else is in the other one. I've not really been able to get rid of anything as you all know I had a major cull recently. Yes,he's got too much of everything and I could ask him to get rid of some of the things but I know it would be like "pulling teeth" so I won't. I've sorted the wardrobe out in good order so he can see at a glance that he's got plenty of stuff and won't keep buying new stuff. Mind you I can't count the amount of times I've done this over the years all to no avail. I have decided to donate the trench coat I bought a couple of years ago, as lovely as it is, I've worn it once and it's not a very practical colour and it's just taking up space..oh and a hideous plastic table cloth that's been clogging up the cupboard 'cause it doesn't fold nicely. So once I've cleared the washing over the bath, that's me for today..It still looks a bit "fabricky" but heaps better and I've got to remember that the christmas decorations are giving us a bit more a cluttered look, despite them being nice and festive.

Food cupboard/fridge is back...but I guess after xmas this was only to be expected. Tupperware shelf in cupboard's back. I got shot of a whole bunch of them so I could look for a neat and tidy comprehensive set in the new year. He's just bought a whole new mish mash...and whilst he was at it he bought plethora of plastic kitchen utensils, that we don't need, a load of new clothes..that with all the xmas presents we received. It's like a game of "whack a mole" trying to keep this flat organised. The toiletries shelf is completely and utterly chocka once again. Despite my having loads of bath foam, he bought me a set of 10 mini ones, thankfully 1 bottle = 1 bath..I've used 3 already, never been so clean lol!

Oh, and he's just returned from the shops with umpteen reduced xmas treats and yet another fitted sheet..think I'm gonna cry!

I think you might have to get stern with Mr Merryone! I'd ask him for the receipt and take the plastic stuff back, or in the case of the food, donate it to a food bank...

Do you ask him why he thought these things were needed at home?

No matter how much or little space you have “things” will expand to fit the space available.
It's probably to do with the concept of no vacuums in nature so when we see a space we fill it. I've always wanted to have an empty room, it would be painted white with voile curtains & a bleached wood floor; a view of the Mediterranean would be wonderful but that's a stretch too far from the landlocked Midlands. The old man thinks I'm mad but if he shuffles off before me I'm going to clear out his study & turn it into my white room.

I think you might have to get stern with Mr Merryone! I'd ask him for the receipt and take the plastic stuff back, or in the case of the food, donate it to a food bank...

Do you ask him why he thought these things were needed at home?
Believe me I try....but he always argues that we need the stuff..and if I moan about clothes...he tells me I've got loads...maybe so but I look after mine so they don't need washing after every single wear, or get screwed up in a ball when not being wrorn..he's such a messy eater and he's clumsy..and mine are all tucked away upstairs hung and folded neatly...never visible, never in anyones way. If I moan about cooking related stuff..he says "when you do the cooking" you choose..this is true he does all the cooking cos he's brilliant at it..so I can't complain too much I guess!...but I do wish he'd be a bit more mindful of what we actually need and how easy it is to make the place cluttered. Least all the plastic utensils fit in the drawer..but I'm really peeved about all the tupperware. Yes we did need some but a stacking set...not a load of randoms!

Mr L HATES the cupboard with the plastic boxes which tumble out every time you open it. I think this is partly because he has very little need to use them.
Now we have a cupboard where I keep crockery we don’t use much so it’s at the back and he uses the front for every imaginable tablet both prescribed/over the counter and plaster known to man. Every time I open it stuff falls out but my moan isn’t allowed as medical bits are legitimate whereas Tupperware is rubbish.

Took the xmas decs down on Wednesday, so this has already given the place a far less chintzy and "closed in" look. Down to my last couple of mini bath foams, and some of the gifts that I'm unlikely to use have been popped into a charity donation bag, though it might be good while before I can pass them on. I've managed to condense the cupboard full of xmas treats..it's still too full but getting a bit better...small steps again..but in the right direction!

I have been accumulating boxes, so I can pack up what I declutter to go to charity.
I won't get a proper go at it until next month, when I have some "holiday" booked.

Mr L HATES the cupboard with the plastic boxes which tumble out every time you open it. I think this is partly because he has very little need to use them.
Now we have a cupboard where I keep crockery we don’t use much so it’s at the back and he uses the front for every imaginable tablet both prescribed/over the counter and plaster known to man. Every time I open it stuff falls out but my moan isn’t allowed as medical bits are legitimate whereas Tupperware is rubbish.
My partner has a whole chest of drawers with cough mixture, painkillers of many sorts, cough sweets, electronic thermometer, blood pressure unit, prescribed meds, various bandages and knee supports. Don’t know if he has any cold remedies.

Inspired by the Lola Rose thread, I have culled my "junk jewellery" right down to literally a handful of items, and it's made a huge difference believe it or not. I've kept 3 necklaces, and a couple of pairs of earrings the earrings have gone in my decent jewellery box and the necklaces I've hung over my coat hangers in the wardrobe. Up until last night all this stuff was displayed on a large twisted wire heart shaped rack, that I thought looked quirky and fun - Then last night whilst reading in bed, I took a glance at it just saw a cluttered mess...I literally put the book down, got out of bed and removed it. Boy was it dusty?! how I'd not noticed I don't know...I even had to dust the wall down afterwards. I rescued the tiny amount of items that actually get any use and put the whole thing in a bin bag. Will probably just throw away the jewellery as a lot is tarnished and too dusty for words. The rack I'll take outside give it a good wipe down and donate it, as I'm sure someone else will think it's a good idea - until they realise that it isn't! Small steps again..but a start!

In the few spaces where I have managed to declutter and simplify, it's now easy to spot further candidates for the old heave-ho... as I can see what I am not reaching for.
I have packed up and sealed several boxes of clothes to donate. I am now going back through the shoes and boots as well. Will revisit the wardrobe again later this month as I start putting away the most wintry clothing.
I hadn't thought about the jewellery, but I will now grasp the nettle, as I can't remember the last time I wore any of it. Some will stay as sentimental items, of course...although I will sell anything with real stones in it...nobody I want to leave it to.

Oh not my jewellery! Does it sound really terrible to say I have a box room dedicated to shoes, handbags and jewellery. The jewellery takes up a tall boy (drawers) and a tall boy (cupboards).

I am going to cull the shoes and bags.

Yet my make up is in one small bag and my toiletries store for both of us is in one drawer and TBH most of that could be chucked!

Good job we are all different,

Most of my clothes no longer fit so I’m seriously thinking of chucking nearly everything and when I manage to shift the pounds (stones) I’ll start all over just buying a few pieces per year.

Latest posts

Back