Stacey & YBF

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Silver Fox

Registered Shopper
Just watched (bits of) the 5:00-6:00 hour.While I have been in the past a fan of Stacy & her makup, I think now it looks so dated.The colours, the' put it on with a trowel consistency' looked just awful (IMO of course!)It makes the Mally range look almost lightweight.My favorite for a natural finish is Bare Minerals but guess we all go for differnt things!

I like the fact Stacey and the models (sometimes the presenters too) Come on air with no make up on and apply in themselves , Unlike all of the other make up brands.

Has anyone actually seen Mally apply make up rather than just wafting a brush or pencil vaguely in the direction of a model's facial area? I wonder whether it's her back-stage staff who are the real make up artists; Teenie, Jorge (haw-hey) etc.

Stacey's Luminizer is the best - imo of course. I used to love her light diffusing foundation years ago, really light despite what it looked like when she applied it today, havent bought it for years but may go for it again when I have used up my ysl. I like Stacey and admire her coming into the studio with no make up and actually showing us viewers what the make up can do. Mally only uses models with perfect skin who are already made up - how does that help us? But then I am not a mally make up fan really, I know people rave over her mascara but its not a patch on YSL - IMO of course. LOL

Has anyone actually seen Mally apply make up rather than just wafting a brush or pencil vaguely in the direction of a model's facial area? I wonder whether it's her back-stage staff who are the real make up artists; Teenie, Jorge (haw-hey) etc.

This question was asked on the US community board and the reply was she did not have time to start from scratch and do each model. She is too busy with her besties JLo and Bey to worry about things like that.:mysmilie_17:

My daughter bought a TSV years ago it was in a vanity case and the whole lot was rubbish. the case started falling apart and the makeup was dire, cheap and poor quality. The whole thing was returned never to buy again.

The quality of YBF isn't as good as Models Prefer from what I've seen. I don't buy her range any more.

Mally tends to sell kits with different looks an a variety of different shades and there are different primers for eye and face and lip. I spend at least 20 minutes doing my mally face in the morning. For Mally to create all those looks on air for all the different skin tones she would spend the entire hour and more doing the faces and I don't think there would be time.

Stacey and to some extent Laura Geller are "one trick ponies" i.e one kind of foundation, one eye product per show, one lip product per show and you can see how a single demo and a single look can be achieved in one show. Mally has about 4 different eye shadows on different shades and finishes, at least 2 different mascaras, 2 or 3 different foundations and 2 or 3 different lip products, 3 different finishes of primer plus an eye gel and primer....I could go on. I like watching mally and find her entertaining (I didn't used to but she kinda grew on me! But mist importantly for me personally her products work.

Mally tends to sell kits with different looks an a variety of different shades and there are different primers for eye and face and lip. I spend at least 20 minutes doing my mally face in the morning. For Mally to create all those looks on air for all the different skin tones she would spend the entire hour and more doing the faces and I don't think there would be time.

I disagree, in a 60minute show she could appear with 3 models, roughly representing a light, medium and dark skin tone, starting bare-faced. Teenie and Jorge could stand alongside a model each and apply primer, foundation, blush & contour, eye liner, shadow, mascara and brows. Mally had a 2 hour show last week so I don't accept the lack of time excuse. There are a couple of excellent products in the Mally range but I've returned a few things and a demo from scratch would have helped make an informed choice. Seeing a made up model is about as helpful as looking at faces in a magazine advert, she's missing the big advantage of a televised demo over a static photo. When she first appeared selling the "Shimmer Shape and Glow" palette Mally did more comprehensive demos but in the time it takes to coat the back of her hand in foundation with a brush, she could have applied it to a bare-faced model, even if she only did half of her face. Waffling about her unique textures (and Beyonce) isn't enough, she should show them going on to bare faces!

But QVC do not want to work like that. Mascara then they move on to blusher,primer etc.

I bought from Stacy the first time MP appeared on QVC and was so disappointed. It was cheap and full of cheap talc. The yellow powder was too dark, compared to Bobbi Brown who had yellow powder out for years. The packaging fell apart, the concealer was greasy. Rimmel was better quality.

My daughter bought a TSV years ago it was in a vanity case and the whole lot was rubbish. the case started falling apart and the makeup was dire, cheap and poor quality. The whole thing was returned never to buy again.

Ditto! bought the same one and returned it for the exact same reasons... never been tempted with the brand again.

I never bought it but back in the Models Prefer days they did the dial foundation. For those that don't know it, it was a tube of really light foundation and a tube of very dark in one bottle and you change the dial on the front to alter the amount of each shade so you can apparently get the exact match or use different shade for contouring etc.

It always seemed like a good idea if you are someone who tans or wants to contour. I don't know if the product was any good though.

I have a couple of the dial up foundations on the go to this day! I have a large and the smaller sized ones and when Models Prefer ceased trading under that name I bulk bought lots of refils in both sizes knowing they were airtight until used (and because they were cheap as chips even shipped from the States). It's a nice medium coverage foundation and (so far) hasn't gone off. I didn't like the tube of foundation she also did but the dial one is surprisingly good. DD also uses it when her foundation has run out or left at a friend's house. Most of the time I don't need a foundation (sometimes use the M Asam Magic finish) or if I'm out in the sun I use Missha BB because it is full-coverage and has a high SPF.

QVC puts pressure on its cosmetic vendors to bring out new colours and new collections on a regular basis which I think, tends to result in cheaply churned out stuff. If Stacey just produced the stock items that her loyal customer always repurchase, QVC would give her virtually no airtime. Those who love her brow pencil, yellow creme and yellow powder would still re-order whether she had shows or not. I'd agree the yellow powder isn't quite T Leclerc but I still take a YBF/Models prefer yellow powder compact on holiday because it's not bad and I don't want to lose my T Leclerc .

All credit to Stacey for her brow pencil which pre-dated the current eye brow trend and is still a product I repurchase.

I still have that foundation! Somewhere!! I'm a Mally, Laura Geller and lately Doll10 girl!

Akimbo, thank you very much for mentioning Missha BB, because I am currently using a small sample size of Jane Iredale's Glow Time BB, which is also full coverage. I have now found out a bit more about the Missha BB and ordered it from Amazon for only £3.95 which is a tenth of the RRP for Jane Iredale's BB which is £39.95 (although slightly cheaper on some websites). I'll be very pleased if the Missha is a good substitute, because that will save so much money.

I never bought it but back in the Models Prefer days they did the dial foundation. For those that don't know it, it was a tube of really light foundation and a tube of very dark in one bottle and you change the dial on the front to alter the amount of each shade so you can apparently get the exact match or use different shade for contouring etc.

It always seemed like a good idea if you are someone who tans or wants to contour. I don't know if the product was any good though.

It was very wet looking on me, sent back. They had to send out specific instructions how to "build it" to enable the dial-up to work, probably why they discontinued it.

I agree that the MP (and I'm guessing YBF) is/was terrible quality. I too bought that vanity case and it was vile dry powdery cheap stuff, with little pigmentation. I stupidly gave it a chance with another more normal TSV too and it was the same- plus the packaging broke very quickly.

Stacey's style of makeup seems very dated and heavy and whilst I applaud her coming on with no makeup (I agree that others could learn from this) the finished face isn't something I'd aspire to wear.

I think her fans seem to buy into the whole Stacey thing rather than the makeup itself, as there are far better and cheaper brands on the high street - Bourjois, Rimmel, Soap nGlory etc, that would give a nicer more modern finish.

Latest posts

Back