Suggestions for Health and Beauty

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Oh dear: you've all scared him away.

Peter: I commend you for coming on here and asking us for our opinions, but I'm afraid that most have us have heard Bid presenters tell one too many porkies to take anything they say seriously.

Bid's current remit of saying ANYTHING to get a sale, (from scaring the vulnerable to lying about the quality of products) plus the exorbitant phone and P&P costs is frankly off-putting.

You could be selling genuine Chanel No.5, and the way products are sold on your channel would make me assume it's made and bottled by a fishing by-products factory in Grimsby.

To many shopping telly viewers your channel is a joke. If you want to be taken seriously as a credible fragrance expert, I'd strongly suggest leaving Bid at the earliest possible opportunity.

Oh dear: you've all scared him away.

Peter: I commend you for coming on here and asking us for our opinions, but I'm afraid that most have us have heard Bid presenters tell one too many porkies to take anything they say seriously.

Bid's current remit of saying ANYTHING to get a sale, (from scaring the vulnerable to lying about the quality of products) plus the exorbitant phone and P&P costs is frankly off-putting.

You could be selling genuine Chanel No.5, and the way products are sold on your channel would make me assume it's made and bottled by a fishing by-products factory in Grimsby.

To many shopping telly viewers your channel is a joke. If you want to be taken seriously as a credible fragrance expert, I'd strongly suggest leaving Bid at the earliest possible opportunity.

Couldn't have put it better myself Enigma! But we've all seen 100's shift in moments so maybe the joke's on the unsuspecting punters. WE know the game being played but many will just be flicking through the channels & won't. Nor will they be aware that it's £7.99 PER ITEM as they've carefully omitted to put "PER ITEM" in their description box recently just as the multibuys went from 5 to 9 max! Boy are some going to be shocked when they see the bill!

& sadly for Bid prices for genuine top brand perfumes such as Lalique are much cheaper on www.cheapsmells.com. I bought 100ml of Perle de Lalique for £26 with free P&P.

Last edited:
Yep Enigma, & they also had Lalique Amethyst 100ml eau de parfum for about the same price! I bought mine this time last year & still have a fair bit left. Cheapsmells are excellent as the price you see is the total price, no added extras at all. It arrives well packaged. They're good for top brands like Decleor too :happy: x.

& sadly for Bid prices for genuine top brand perfumes such as Lalique are much cheaper on www.cheapsmells.com. I bought 100ml of Perle de Lalique for £26 with free P&P.
Just checked & the Lalique I bought was 100ml EDParfum called "Fleur de Cristal" for £26. I nearly bought Perle De Lalique but the Fleur de Cristal was a parfum and I know is about £85 in the very few department stores that sell it. It's a stunning fragrance! I really don't like overpowering florals but this isn't, it's feminine, true EDP as it really lasts for hours & it's heavenly, sort of light but deffo not wishy washy or sickly xx.

I have to agree with others on here. People are laughing at the products Bid are peddling and rightfully getting angry at the dodgy selling practices of it's presenters.

Peter, if you are a perfume expert with any credibility you would have moved on to bigger and better things by now.

On a serious note Sally did sell a new range comprising of face dreams, hand lotion & eye serum for 9.99 this eve £20 with all the P&P & call to order. If the range is great then the price was competitive as the pots seemed large, I'd guess 50ml each. The main thing you're up against as far as I can see Peter are the other shopping channels, namely QVC. Their today special values for products such as Elemis are unbeatable by a mile and they discount postage for sunsequent orders & took a fiver off for each additional set bought on the recent Elemis one. Also companies like Cheapsmells.com beat your overall price for Lalique a few months back, sorry. It's not impossible but a challenge to get the same value with the call charges to order & the p&p. The Avon Frankinsence was awesome, my mum had it many years ago but I guess Avon has exclusivity or has discontinued it now x.

Thank you so much Nikki for posting this. I have never bought my favourite perfume from the internet because, going by the bid/pricedrop/speed prices I thought it would be more expensive than the High St. I've been on cheap smells and also on some of the bigger department store postal services this morning. Blimey!!!! Adding on the exorbitant postal and p&p of bid, the other mail order sites blow them out of the water don't they?

Dear Peter Sherlock,

For the general health and wellbeing of the nation please issue the following presenters their P45 with immediate effect...

James Russell
Sally Jacks
Peter Simon
Nicola George

It would also help if you were to dunk the 'producers' of the above into a keg of Jean Paul DuPont for aiding and abetting with their sales 'techniques' to the general public.

Your sincerely, Me xxx

I have to agree with others on here. People are laughing at the products Bid are peddling and rightfully getting angry at the dodgy selling practices of it's presenters.

Peter, if you are a perfume expert with any credibility you would have moved on to bigger and better things by now.

Ignore him Peter. Greg only comes on here to insult and upset people. He seems to get a kick out of it.

Kat xxx

Thank you so much Nikki for posting this. I have never bought my favourite perfume from the internet because, going by the bid/pricedrop/speed prices I thought it would be more expensive than the High St. I've been on cheap smells and also on some of the bigger department store postal services this morning. Blimey!!!! Adding on the exorbitant postal and p&p of bid, the other mail order sites blow them out of the water don't they?

Hillary you're very welcome & yes they most certainly do blow Bid total prices out of the water! I came across Cheapsmells.com whilst searching for lalique perfume last year on google. They stock just about all of the best brands for perfumes & skin care. Watch out for their smaller travel sizes of skin creams too. As they don't charge any postage I found that instead of around £50 for Decleor face cream I paid £15 for the same amount, just in travel tubes as opposed to a 50ml pot! My items have always arrived well packaged and within a week, I honestly cannot fault them & I've made quite a few purchases since finding them for me & pressies for friends.

Peter, I'm very sorry as I know you have brought exclusive fragrances like Lalique to the viewers. It's just that with the added extortionate P&P and even without the p&p the mail order websites are cheaper & offer a fantastic customer service. Not only that but the endless unprofessional & untrue waffle the presenters spout when selling items you bring to Bid is quite frankly misleading and can easy be preceived as conning the public in my opinion.

Worst of all in my opinion was Peter Simon encouraging people to use the Elizabeth Grant BODY CREAM around their eyes!! This is a body creme & as such isn't at all formulated to be advantageous for using around this most delicate sensitive area! It could cause allergies, puffiness & longer term degeneration of this most fragile skin!! Not only that but the same pots were less than half the price on the internet when P & P taken into consideration.

Peter said this again yesterday, that he uses it on his face. I think I'd break out in a rash if I did! I have to be careful what I put on my face

So annoying Bexi isn't it & totally callous, irresponsible & misleading selling! Peter, if you're responsible for having these items on Bid can you please ensure that they are sold ethically, thank you. Bexi's right, if I put a body creme on my face I'd get a breakout too. Skin sensitivity & dryness levels vary obviously but like Bexi I have to be extremely careful what I use on my face. Someone who believes this twaddle could end up with allergic reastions & spots, it's a BODY CREAM how difficult can that be to understand??! If presenters on Bid don't get that simple fact they shouldn't be let loose to sell it!

I would like to say that I agree with a lot of the points made on here, but is it really fair on Peter Sherlock to put him through the wringer on this one, when all he's done is come on here to try and find out what perfumes and beauty products we'd like to see on the channels. If I bumped into him in pub, I might ask him why this presenter or that presenter is a such a lying Shyster, and ask why the p&p's out of line with literally every internet shopping concern there is, but this is a public forum, and he's much safer saying nothing at all. I work for a company myself that was, a few years back the subject of numerous newspaper articles saying how staff habitually slagged off their customers on Facebook. Jobs were lost because of that, and lessons learned.

I think Peter knows that a lot of us on here wouldn't buy a perfume without having tried it first, think the prices aren't competitive enough, especially with p&p, but along with the suggestions on how they could sell fragrance and beauty products in a fairer way, could we not at least afford him the courtesy of answering the question he so cheerfully asked us?

...And for saying that he needs to leave his job to gain any credibility, perhaps he loves his job, loves the people he works with. I could probably get myself a better job with my qualifications,but I enjoy selling cake!

Some good points here amongst the "Bid sells overpriced crap" comments. (That surely goes without saying?)

Put another way, Bid can never hope to compete with the cheapest internet-based sellers so the very best it can do is to source exclusives that nobody else has, but they will always have an uphill struggle to be treated seriously given the dodgy sales tactics that most presenters seem to use and the dodgy goods that seem to predominate on the channel (worry angels, knockoff watches, poor quality bed linen, etc.).

Peter Sherlock may be trying his hardest to please but his best attempts will always encounter this credibility problem as long as the channels continue to behave as they do. At this stage I recommend that he jumps ship ASAP otherwise it's likely that he will be out of a job anyway sometime next year; you don't want to be circulating your CV in competition with Steve McDonald and James Russell, do you? :wink:

Had a look on cheapsmells.com guys & Lalique is still being sold on there at amazing prices but alas nearer 45%-50% off rather than the 70%+ off I managed to get this time last year. Having said that they are still incredibly well priced. They do have other 60%-70% off deals tho on brands like Agent provocateur, massage oil from £32 to around a tenner & Karl Largerfield EDT for about £11 all with no p&p.

I actually have bought perfume without smelling it but only if it's a great price as Price Plunge said.

My personal view is that whilst we know Peter, you poor man, can't instruct the way Bid should present their goods you are the person who sources the skin care & fragrances & as such see nothing wrong with requesting that you have some kind of governance over how his items are portrayed on tv because believe me, it can't get much worse! AND The number of times Peter Sherlock's name is dropped into the pitch followed by a real clanger is all too frequent. Just like when Mike Mason said the other nite, "I shouldn't really be telling you this but Peter Sherlock told me that JPD is in discussions with Debenhams to sell their perfumes there" . I'm sure Debenhams are delighted that their private business negotiations are being declared on TV NOT! & Dare I say it Peter you yourself do sometimes make cheap fragrances sound like they're the elixir of life itself. OK you're selling the stuff but it's all getting a tad ridiculous but comical to watch in an Eldorado kind of a way.

You could always set up your own dedicated fragrance & skin care channel with much cheaper p&p and no silly £1.53 call charges?? Just a thought...

It is safe to say that there are very, very few good deals on genuine, branded fragrances and beauty products on Bid when additional costs are added. I have seen some really good deals on Dr Lewinns on Bid and the Elizabeth Grant product is cheaper than Ideal World if you need 2 x 200ml tubs. Of course I accept you sometimes pay more for convenience though.

I take issue with one thing Peter Sherlock keeps saying about Rapport though, I am a similar age to Peter (just a couple of years younger), i'm even from the same town and no way do I ever remember it costing £15-£20 a bottle, no way (around the same time you could get 50ml of YSL Kouros in Beatties for less than £20, you know that store well Peter!). I vividly recall Rapport costing between £5-£10 for a big bottle and that was in mainstream shops on the highstreet like Boots.

I fancy you are exaggerating somewhat Peter Sherlock although perhaps you are going by Harrods prices as you used to work there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back