Suggestions for where to buy loose gemstones?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

historymystery

Registered Shopper
Sorry if people have posted this information many times before, but can anyone suggest good reliable companies if I want to buy loose gemstones? Prices are just ridiculous on Gemporia's Gem Collector. I seem to recall the name Gem Select being mentioned? Thanks.

Sorry if people have posted this information many times before, but can anyone suggest good reliable companies if I want to buy loose gemstones? Prices are just ridiculous on Gemporia's Gem Collector. I seem to recall the name Gem Select being mentioned? Thanks.

Yep, I'm a big fan of Gem Select. Comparable clarity and cut quality (slightly better perhaps). Wider selection of stones in 'untreated' form that Gem Collector tend to have only treated versions of (Morganite for example).

EVERY detail is listed on the Gem Select page - from EXACT sizes, through to clarity grading, origin, treatments, etc. Each come with a certificate of authenticity too - and you get the actual stone shown in the photo.

Shipping is a little more expensive because they come from Thailand (around £6 for 2 or 3 stones) - but their service is excellent. They dispatch on the same day - and you usually get your order around 7 to 9 days after ordering.

I also had a rare stone go missing in the post once - which Gem Select refunded without hesitation. The stone then turned up around 2 months later - and I offered to pay Gem Select back out of honesty. They told me to keep the stone for free and thanked me for my honesty.

Just one thing to remember - keep any overseas orders below £135. Orders over that amount will face a customs fee when they enter the country.

I forgot once and placed an expensive order - and got hit with a hefty VAT / customs charge when they entered the country.

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

I've been buying from Gem Select for 10 years or so - and never had any issues (apart from this customs fee - which was 100% my fault for forgetting to keep my order value lower).

If you want to place a high value order, then split it over a number of orders so that they're all packaged separately to avoid any customs charges. Wait until Gem Select dispatch the first order though - otherwise they might think they're doing you a favour by combining the orders.

I've also bought from MultiColour Gems Ltd before. They're great for ultra-rare stuff. I once bought a Benitoite from them, complete with GIA authenticity certificate, for a very good price for such a rare stone and GIA cert. Some of their stones are VERY expensive though.

Thanks very much for your very informative reply, as ever, and for the tip-offs, always good to know, especially as I've not bought from abroad before and not sure what to be aware of. And what a great tip about placing several orders rather than one big one, no doubt many people have been caught out by customs charges, something you don't think about.

I'll have a look at the MultiColour Gems website too (I can dream, even if I don't buy!).

Many thanks.

Thank you for posting this question. I was wondering the same thing as the prices on Gem Collector increased so massively that I stopped buying from them.

Latest posts

Back