Summer fashion - its dire

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

iloveshopping

Registered Shopper
Where have they found all this horrible stuff? They just said the Pomodoro botanical skirt was very Christian Dior and they put it with the shabby Yong Kim crumpled over shirt. The Liz Claiborne is a poor selection. I prefer my 15 years old clothes that I have just dug out!

I agree, it's awful, I don't know why they bother, most of the brands could not be classed as fashion and I just can't see their appeal at all, even for the less fashion minded, Chloe's enthusiasm for it all is quite amusing, who buys it all?!

I agree, it's awful, I don't know why they bother, most of the brands could not be classed as fashion and I just can't see their appeal at all, even for the less fashion minded, Chloe's enthusiasm for it all is quite amusing, who buys it all?!

Out of interest what do those that go on about FASHION actually mean? Do you mean the latest trends? For me clothes I wear are clothes I like, feel comfortable in and that suit my figure, maybe it's because I'm getting older but I'm not interested in what I assume is fashion because it's what I perceive as what teenagers wear, which makes me feel old before my time :wonder:

It is dreadful :( Chloe said,"If you turn up for work in this (a Yon Kim cardigan thing) then people are going to be wondering where you got it from."
Yeah, right Chloe & they'll be wondering charity shop or jumble sale. Once they've finished wondering about that they'll be wondering what made you so late that you didn't have time to get the iron out & why you slept in your clothes the night before.
QVC need to take a look at Ideal World who have improved their fashion ranges a lot lately. They now have Bonmarche & several other lines which feature high street prices & up to date styles.

I have to agree with you Murgatroyd. Ideal World have really upped their game with their clothing. Most of it looks very wearable and is reasonably priced. I am not interested in wearing the current trends. In fact a lot of stuff on the High Street this summer is not for me but I have to say I wouldn't touch QVC's offerings apart from maybe the 'Fashion by Together' range which I quite like. I very much know what I like and have my own style and QVC fashions definitely are not it.

Out of interest what do those that go on about FASHION actually mean? Do you mean the latest trends? For me clothes I wear are clothes I like, feel comfortable in and that suit my figure, maybe it's because I'm getting older but I'm not interested in what I assume is fashion because it's what I perceive as what teenagers wear, which makes me feel old before my time :wonder:

I know what you mean Jw2, I dont really mean the really up to date trends. I just think that a lot of the clothes Q sells are in my opinion pretty unappealing whatever age or size ladies are, the clingy materials and styles would not have most people I know rushing to the phones. I turned 50 this year and feel like most of us I would imagine that I pay far more attention to what I wear now than I used to as I don't want to look like lamb dressed as mutton ( to coin an old phrase) but I don't want to look really old fashioned either,

Website is revolting!

It seems the "fashion" has broken the website! I'm getting half-blank pages, others refusing to load and several "page not found" messages!

I don't think QVC 'fashion' could ever be taken to mean the latest trends as worn by teens ;) Quite often my 62 year old mum says it's too old for her!
When I talk about their fashion I just mean the range of styles, though I do personally like a nod to what's 'in' - not high fashion but of the moment too... And just wouldn't consider qvc as somewhere to see that.
Plus I really resent the postage and returns policy - to me online shopping especially for clothing you *have* to be able to try a few different items on and want to return it without paying a bomb!

Excuse the waffle!

I agree the tsv maxi dress isn't bad at all, though I hate the print called tropical something which is selling out. Maybe I'm just contrary! But I don't think £40 plus £5 pandp for a single item is a bargain - and it's in my personal bugbear: 95% poly!

The Kim tsv is a style and fabric you can find on the high street, nothing special at all. I was in Peacocks yesterday and they had almost identical dresses, around £18 to £20 and with 20% off. The difference is Q offers sizes up to 3xl whereas the Peacocks dresses stopped at a size 22 I think. I also saw similar in Mc & Co, Bonne Marche and other shops. It`s a bog standard empire line and I saw much nicer colourways and patterns than the tsv dress.

The Kim tsv is a style and fabric you can find on the high street, nothing special at all. I was in Peacocks yesterday and they had almost identical dresses, around £18 to £20 and with 20% off. The difference is Q offers sizes up to 3xl whereas the Peacocks dresses stopped at a size 22 I think. I also saw similar in Mc & Co, Bonne Marche and other shops. It`s a bog standard empire line and I saw much nicer colourways and patterns than the tsv dress.
In defense of Kimmie, her fabrics are good quality. A few years ago, I bought a lovely maxi dress from Peacock, trouble was that it shrank by 4 inches when I washed it and as I am 6ft that mattered. Had to go back. I rarely go the High street so cannot comment on current quality. There is a little M&co in our tiny high street will nip in there today and check them out.

Anyone remember the Renee Martin range from about 10 years ago ???? If you think todays offerings don't hit the mark, you should have seen THAT range ! it was aimed at the older mature woman but how much older was anyone's guess., seeing as how my Mum in her 80's wouldn't wear it.

Today's "oldies" danced around their handbags in mini skirts, so pleated skirts and Bon Marche knitted tops with pearls and embroidery are not going to adorn the body of any self respecting lover of the Kinks thank you very much !!!!

I suppose I just don't and won't get fashion lol! I don't often go to the high street, if I do it's more HoF etc not the stores people have mentioned not really heard of some, I just for one don't have the time as it's a long drive for me and can't be bothered. I suppose I just don't understand what makes an item fashionable as for me a dress is a dress a top is a top I'm not sure how you can change the style of such items much, I don't like these high low things they, to me, are just ridiculous or these shark bite type tops with the extra additions on the hips, they just make me chuckle but I get we all like different things. I did wear ra ra skirts in my early teens lol! So what is the current fashions, I think I need help on this :confused:

I wasn't going to get the K&C TSV but ordered two as I thought they looked nice on air, easy to wear everyday dress, I thought, in particular, that Joy looked fab in them thought she looked stunning showed why she is a model making a quite normal maxi dress look gorgeous.

Oh if anyone spots a nice purple (deep blue purple) maxi dress on your shopping travels can you let me know I've been looking for one for the last couple of years to no avail!

Last edited:
Agree JW, I have no idea of today's fashion but I did work with a young one for a while and she would make comments like "that is last season's fashion" so probably most youngsters have a good idea what is in and what is out.

Funnily enough, someone on the market was flogging similar maxi dresses for a fiver. I chickened out because I hardly ever wear the maxi dresses I do have, but maybe I should have got one just to see how good they were. Back of a lorry comes to mind, though.

Us oldies do not like to be seen in "old women's clothes" so there's no point in a designer targeting the older market, thank you very much. I think by now we know what we like and what we can get away with and if we don't, well, you go girls!

It isn't 'fashion' that counts....................but 'style' does. It all depends on 'how' you wear your clothes and the accessories that you put with them. I have a 3/4 black linen jacket from the Jessica Holbrook range (anybody remember them) haven't worn it for years but I dragged it out last week and wore it with some red linen trousers from N..t and a recent TSV top from Kim and co. and it looked fine. I have also just altered two Casual and co cotton dresses from 3 years ago. Just cut the tops off and turned in a hem and added 1" elastic and I have 2 maxi skirts for nothing. I am wearing one as I type with a black shoestring vest top from my club book purchased last year. Another of my up-cycling creations was plain mid green maxi dress from a range that hasn't been around for ages. Can't remember the name - they made jackets in patchwork patterns - the designer had a thick Bronx accent and the lady who presented them went on to design her own nightwear range - which didn't sell very well - it's name was Rosy cheeks I think. Well anyway back to the maxi dress - it is now a maxi skirt - and being plain goes with most tops. Oh! and btw I will be 76 in 2 weeks time and wouldn't dream of wearing anything remotely like the Renee Martine range. Having said that some people dress 'old' even in their 40's.

Poppy you are so right. I am the oldest person in my office and I consider myself more stylish than most of them. Several of them dress so old and the others are drab.

However I think it may because they will only put money into casual clothes and as we have to dress smartly they do the least they can get away with whereas I find it more difficult to do "casual" having spent my entire life in suit type clothes.

Mind you I am often surprised how common it is for young women to be mini me to their mother in regards to things like interior design and outlook on aspects of life.

It isn't 'fashion' that counts....................but 'style' does. It all depends on 'how' you wear your clothes and the accessories that you put with them. I have a 3/4 black linen jacket from the Jessica Holbrook range (anybody remember them) haven't worn it for years but I dragged it out last week and wore it with some red linen trousers from N..t and a recent TSV top from Kim and co. and it looked fine. I have also just altered two Casual and co cotton dresses from 3 years ago. Just cut the tops off and turned in a hem and added 1" elastic and I have 2 maxi skirts for nothing. I am wearing one as I type with a black shoestring vest top from my club book purchased last year. Another of my up-cycling creations was plain mid green maxi dress from a range that hasn't been around for ages. Can't remember the name - they made jackets in patchwork patterns - the designer had a thick Bronx accent and the lady who presented them went on to design her own nightwear range - which didn't sell very well - it's name was Rosy cheeks I think. Well anyway back to the maxi dress - it is now a maxi skirt - and being plain goes with most tops. Oh! and btw I will be 76 in 2 weeks time and wouldn't dream of wearing anything remotely like the Renee Martine range. Having said that some people dress 'old' even in their 40's.

I'm soo jealous of your talent to alter your clothes, I am useless at it, I remember doing a little at school but clearly not enough, I can't even put a button back on and actually know what I'm doing or do it properly, my mum is 73 so similar to you and she can do most things although now she is no longer well enough to do much. It's always been a family joke that I nearly sent my nan mad when she tried her hardest to teach me to knit lol! I think sadly along with a lack of being taught I'm just no good at it. I have a dress which I love the pattern but don't like the dress much so want to try to make it into a tunic so I'm off to my seamstress shortly I wish I could do it myself especially after being hooked on sewing bee and reading your post!

Just for interest what are the latest fashions?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back