Summer fashion - its dire

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I haven't a clue what the latest fashions are because I pick and choose from what I see in the shops and very, very occasionally now, from QVC. It is a matter of style - your style and what suits you. What someone thinks is stylish won't appeal to everyone, so style = what's right for you.

I taught myself to sew when I was a teenager because my mother hated anything to do with a needle and we had no money, so if I wanted a new dress I had to make it. Luckily that was the sixties and seventies and mini skirts and shift dresses were in, so very easy. Never say never, JW2. There are patterns marked "Very easy" in the shops and with some cheapish material so you don't feel too threatened if it goes wrong, and the help you can get on youtube, I'm sure you'll be able to manage something. If I could, so could anyone.

I learnt to sew mainly at school, although my Mum was an excellent dressmaker and tailor. We had to make our summer uniform dress during the Autumn term and nothing makes you pay attention in class like the knowledge that you'd be wearing the damn thing everyday for months in full view of the boys' school next door!

I am useless at all things practical. I have 2 left hands and was the only girl in my year at school who began making her domestic science apron in my first year and still hadn`t finished it by my last year.
When I was pregnant with my first baby I began knitting a matinee coat. It still isn`t finished and hes 40 next year.
Ironically my Mother made almost everything we wore. She sewed, knitted, embroidered, darned and crocheted and my sister did the same before she became disabled. TBH I think growing up with nothing but homemade clothes ( even our vests ! ) made me hate sewing etc, especially as a teen in the 60`s and my friends all bought fashionable clothes and I still had to wear homemade ones. Looking back they were probably better made than bought items but I kind of stuck out in my group of friends.
Anyway I have a mental block regarding sewing and over the years I`ve regretted never bothering to learn, especially when needing something shortening or altering. It`s cost me a fortune !

I know what you mean Vienna, about the home made/shop bought thing in the 60s when I was at school! My mum always worked full time and by the time I came along she was too busy to sew and I had all shop-bought clothes and a few hand-me down home made from my older sister. My bestest friends all had stay at home mums and I envied their homemade dresses (still with big flared skirts from 1950s patterns)...it was all part and parcel of envying them having Mums at home "looking after them". But they, in turn envied my shop-bought clothes and having a career mum!
My Grandma was a seamstress and she'd take me around Leeds or Pontefract markets for a yard of fabric (for pennies) and run something up in an hour or so.

I am another one who has to wear tailored clothes at work but resent paying for it. I only work part time now so only buy a few cheaper items and expect them to last years and years.

With my clothes for home and limited social life I just buy what I like and wear it all to death. Must have worn my favourite Yong Kim tunic well over 100 times.

I don't think all Q clothing for the summer is dire. I have just ordered the diane gilman cropped white jeggings and a Yong Kim fuscia v necked sleeveless crinkle tunic for the summer. And for the late summer/Autumn a Yong Kim v necked hooded tunic in heather grey and white stripe that is the same style as my hundred times worn top. It will go great with my grey jeggings.

having said that there is very little else clothing wise I like from Q. I don't call it "fashion" as I don't give a toss what some celebrity is wearing or some magazine says everyone is wearing. I hate changing rooms too so rarely bother in the high street unless I can make a beeline for the exact item I am after.

Latest posts

Back