Surprising Comment

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Dream Girl

Registered Shopper
Wednesday evening I caught the L’Occitane young brand ambassador standing in for Alexis as she’s gone up to Scotland on holiday. Nothing new there she has said in the past all the family go to Scotland for the summer.
At the start of the L’Occitane Precious Divine cream presentation Alison Young at home, with product placement of holding the pot, who was sat at her kitchen table with the doors to her patio and field behind.
Anyway they go to the young L’Occitane guest on link too, to which she loud, proud and giggling announces. Something like It’s lovely to see you with your pot of cream, Alison. We must make sure we provide you with some more, as we don’t want you running out of a supply.
After chatting about this and that, they go to Ali at home holding the pot, who then declares something like, I dip in and out of using this cream.

I can honestly say I have never seen or heard anything so very blatant other than in the past when presenters have asked for something to be given free on air. Or when they have said they have been provided say with a TSV to use prior to a launch.
Yes we know it may well go on loads but so in your face 😱😲😮

I can't see anything wrong with it, it's a perk of the job. Some companies I've worked at have given freebies to employees, all gratefully received!

I acknowledge that some people enjoy perks of the job. They receive them, take them home, end of. The difference with some QVC employees is that they boast about them to the customers who obviously have to buy them. This happens frequently and for some of us it is uncomfortable viewing. Some presenters, especially in the past, drop hints that they would like to be given a product! It’s pretty clear that they do read comments on this forum so they have now started referring to freebies as samples to try at home, “ I’ve been lucky enough to have tried a sample “, “I’ve been lucky enough to have trialled this at home”. For me it displays poor judgement and greed. They can comment on their experience of a product without making it abundantly clear that their homes are full of freebies that we have had to pay for.

Some may not agree with my view but I confess that I do think a lot of presenters are overpaid, of limited talent and greedy. Sorry, just the conclusion I have reached.

I may have misunderstood the situation, but from what you have said, I'm gathering that it was the guest who started that conversation? Which isn't really Alison boasting about what she gets given. Perhaps a more experienced guest might not have said this, but I agree that it's no big deal - a very common occurrence in many businesses, lucky for those who work for them!

I accept that freebies are bound to be handed out so I wouldn’t say I‘m envious but I don’t really want to hear it boasted about. That is crass.

It’s one thing when presenters talk about receiving the odd product to try, but what I did find irksome was that social media post by Amanda Holden (who I can usually take in smallish doses) when she first started with her range at QVC and apparently received a huge beauty hamper. Talk about rubbing it in. Obviously done to get her to praise items on social media for free advertising so yes, we know it happens - just don’t shout about it. Actually, if she does start saying how wonderful something is, anyone sensible (like us) would just think, “Yeah, she’s going to say that when she got it for nothing, isn’t she?” and ignore it. Are you listening, Flinty’s BFF Shaz?

Last edited:
Well, if you get provided with 'loadsastuff' for free, - and none of it is 'cheap' ! then not having to fork out for it like the rest of us, means money saved, which in turn means more salary money to spend on those beautiful houses and apartments with park and river views, in which to house your Yankee Candles, Kelly Hoppen bedding, Kipling bags, Dyson products, Butler & Wilson jewellery, and every other product that Q sells on air.

Yep, there's a world of difference between getting a free diary or pen from the salesman pitching up at your place of work, and having the pick of a department store to take home and "trial" :sneaky:

I didn’t start this to judge anyone for getting a freebie I consider that another conversation.
It was that the brand ambassador clearly started the presentation by saying and I’m able to now quote exactly what Milly said as I have it saved.
So Ali starts by Beauty Bible winner quoting price, easy pay, top of the range cream, best seller etc. Then says showing opened bottom of the pot. “Milly this is one I go back to awful lot you can see I’m down to nearly the ‘bottum‘ of the jar on this particular one, sometimes when you want I really easy anti ageing moisterising and hydrating cream that you can put on morning and night it can be so quick and easy but it is very luxurious to use but still has anti ageing benefits.“

Milly, “Completely and it makes me so happy to see you sitting there with your pot because I know how much you love it, so we will need to get you another one soon because we need to get you another one because you can’t be running out anytime soon.

So they both chat on about the cream and L’Occitane and Ali goes on to say when Milly will be back later at midnight.

Then finishing off she says, “Get your orders in for the Immortelle Divine cream its something I repeat used several times over the years and gone back to and each time I‘ve gone back to I go back to and go oh this is a lovely cream, I enjoy this cream, my skin loves this cream, so if you do have a dry skin and ageing skin like me definitely recommend it for you and of course the beauty bible it’s won awards in every single of the beauty bibles as well.“

Yes I completely understand presenters get stuff and Ali has openly said she gets stuff to test out. And says to guests such but then to some says she’s been trying out stuff but is glad to get back to x that they are then selling etc etc etc
It just was the right in your face we can’t have you without this cream Ali must get you some more. Then Ali singing its praises had me shouting at the screen you will be saying all that because you have just been promised live on air you’ll be given a fresh pot. I’ve never witnessed that before I’ve heard Ali say this is something I repeat purchase myself, I’ve even gone to x store when QVC didn’t have it or I used this before QVC had it.
Just never heard her be promised fresh stock at the start of a sale and then her have to wax lyrical about said item, just didn’t sit right with me thats all.

Last edited:
I have no problem with presenters being given products to try. If it’s a new product like a moisturiser how do they sell it if they haven’t tried it. However if they try to get something by saying the one they have is nearly finished that does annoy me. I would prefer a presenter say that they were given something to try than them claim to use that product all the time after telling us a week previously that they use a different product all the time.

Can't remember what it was in reference to but I saw a picture of AY's bathroom and every surface,including the windowsill ,was full of creams etc available at QVC.
Quite a few years ago I recall QJ saying that when AY first started at QVC she went into her dressing room,threw out all her creams and said she would give her some better ones. I seem to recall she was singing the praises of Elemis or whatever not long after. I don't for one minute think the presenters pay for much at all, cynic, moi???

I have witnessed presenters saying to guests - “ I really like this “ followed by a knowing nod. One is particularly bad at doing this.
Disgraceful in my opinion.
We all know who that one is 🤨

Ooh, not sure I know. I don't watch enough / need to get out more (delete as appropriate). Could you give us a teeny clue?

I can't see anything wrong with it, it's a perk of the job. Some companies I've worked at have given freebies to employees, all gratefully received!

At the end of the day it’s the QVC customer that pays for those freebies, and again if we’re being honest who would give an honest opinion of a product that they got for free, certainly not Alison Young the resident beauty sales woman and that’s her job. The gloating I also find sickening, especially now when money for most people is tight. The freebies or “perks” should stop, it’s bad enough the presenters getting free TSVs if they’re presenting which could run in to hundreds of pounds, let alone adding AY getting a freebie of every single beauty product and top ups when she’s running short, technically brands are bribing AY to keep in her good books and get good reviews, must be a law against that sort of retail deceit somewhere.

Latest posts

Back