Teacher's gift

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

To be honest it looks like a cheap piece of market jewellery, unless the teacher knows the brand then she will probably think along the same lines. I think the teacher gift thing is getting out of hand, when my sons were in junior school they took the teacher a box of chocolates or a scented candle, just a supermarket one nothing expensive. Once in high school that stopped, maybe next year when the youngest leaves I may buy something for his form teacher, he's had the same one now for 3 years.

To be honest it looks like a cheap piece of market jewellery, unless the teacher knows the brand then she will probably think along the same lines. I think the teacher gift thing is getting out of hand, when my sons were in junior school they took the teacher a box of chocolates or a scented candle, just a supermarket one nothing expensive. Once in high school that stopped, maybe next year when the youngest leaves I may buy something for his form teacher, he's had the same one now for 3 years.

I agree, that's what I always used to say. I used to buy my daughter in laws presents from QVC (years ago) I knew the price but they didn't know the brands with not being QVC customers, so they must've thought I'd paid Boots and Superdrugs prices, don't get me wrong they were grateful, but I'd say things like "have you heard of Perfect Formula? ABC? SBC?" and every....single....time....they'd say no. So I started buying them high street beauty products, well priced and things they'd actually heard of and liked.

well at my granddaughters school they wanted £20 for teachers christmas giftcards...my daughter openly declined

Poundland have lots of chunky looking gold necklaces at the moment! :mysmilie_19:

I wonder whether she feels under pressure to spend this much; there can be a lot of pressure from the mammary mafia to keep up with current spending trends. The teacher might be relieved not to get another candle, box of cheap choccies or Bayliss & Harding liquid soap. :mysmilie_17:

My kids stopped giving teacher presents when they left first school (after Yr3). We mostly made homemade cards and cookies (they washed their hands honest!) but some would give big bouquets or bottles of spirits.

There was always a huge candle stall at the school's summer fete! :mysmilie_19:

giving fat store cards for john lewis seems to be the new trend so as not to offend the teachers :cash:

Sorry but I don`t agree with giving teachers any gifts. By all means let kids give them cards but if parents and children want to show appreciation for teachers and schools, then head teachers should gather their staff, ask them to choose a Charity they`d all like to support (preferably one from the local community) and then send out a letter to all parents saying the teachers would prefer not to receive gifts, no matter how small or large and that teachers have opted to support a local cause and IF any parent wishes to donate then please enclose donation in a plain envelope and hand it into reception or place it into some kind of collection box around school.
That way parents don`t feel obliged to give but if they do wish to donate, then they can give whatever they can afford and without feeling pressured to compete. The teachers get to choose the cause and they can then thank the school as a whole for helping whatever Charity they gave to.

I went to school in the 50's and my mum bought a gift (bath salts and the like) for teachers, brownie leader, Sunday school teachers so it's not entirely a new concept.

I have no idea why she did this but we did have a friend who managed a chemist wholesalers so it obviously was at a good price but nevertheless our family wasn't well off.

really i never knew that even chocs etc
Everything was supposed to be declared, in reality though I don't think chocolates would have been seen as a bribe but that is what the policy as all about, as you can imaging, local authorities give out quite large contacts and that leaves people wide open to inducements. I've had the odd bar of chocolate or bottle of beer but then again I was never in a position to give out contracts or influence things financially. I do know of people that have lost their job over if though.

Latest posts

Back