The Down Memory Lane thread...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ah 1976, now that was a year to remember - all that lovely sunshine and barmy summer evenings for months!

Three of us use to come off nights and head straight for the beach where we use to swim and sleep, it was wonderful - too hot to sleep during the day in bed!

I waddled through it all, had baby mid august, it was a ****** wake up call at my tender age I can tell you:sweat:

Arrow bars
Spearmint Chews
"the penny tray"
Fruit Salad & Blackjacks
Jubblies (both mentioned earlier, Busy Lizzie I think - only problem with Jubblies, after about five mins you just had a chunk of ice with no orange juice left it in!)
Penny suckers (ice lollies to the posh folks!)
Biscuits sold by weight and broken ones going cheaper
Rainbow Crystals...I mean the stuff in a bag, you licked your finger and stuck it into the crystals, then sucked the finger. Don't tell me about hygiene..! Where I lived it was called (phonetically) kay-lie
Sherbert Fountains
Flying Saucers
Shrimps

Sounds like I had a sweet tooth even then!

What a wonderful thread. I remember cake being sold by the pound in Woolworths, one large slab of sponge cut into 4 pound portions whilst the fruit cake, if memory serves me well cut into 8 portions. Brokes, that meant searching through the tins on the biscuit counter for damaged biccies, all for 15 shillings a day as a Saturday girl. Lacquer in tubes which you transferred into a spray bottle. Your hair was like a solid block but I thought it was wonderful. Shampoo in little sachets, I bought more of those from the Chemist when the Male assistant came to me when I actually wanted sanitory products.....lol . Sayers cake shop, Mums order was 4 shillings worth of assorted cream cakes, that was one huge box full and the least likely ones to squash were put in a bag, probably about 12/14 cakes for Sunday when visitors came. The Greengrocers with these "hoppers" of potatoes which were shovelled into the scales. Nylon sheets being put on our honeymoon bed, I'll keep the details to myself but ye gods it was no fun with static. Mini skirts, elasticated top white boots and a bright orange coat, Was I soooo cool in that !!!! Off to think some more, great laugh for me, thank you all for contributing

Midnight In Paris was made by Bourjois the makeup company.

My mum wore Tweed, Pagan,Coty L'Aimant and sometimes Youth Dew.

My granny had a mangle and made me turn it on washing day!!!!

Our Saturday morning cinema was called The Roy Rogers Club(they never actually showed any of his films LOL).
We used to get old black and white movies Abbot and Costello, Laurel and Hardy etc. Plus the special children's films from the Children's Film Club. It was 3p and then went up to 6p in later years.

I had a cassette recorder and taped TPTPs, my dad used to get up in the middle and ask if anyone wanted tea. Every ****** week!

The Goodies on BBC2 on a Monday night before the High Chapparel (sp). I had to watch in my granny's as our TV did not get BBC2.

Perri Cheese and Onion crisps.

Midnight In Paris was made by Bourjois the makeup company.

My mum wore Tweed, Pagan,Coty L'Aimant and sometimes Youth Dew.

My granny had a mangle and made me turn it on washing day!!!!

Our Saturday morning cinema was called The Roy Rogers Club(they never actually showed any of his films LOL).
We used to get old black and white movies Abbot and Costello, Laurel and Hardy etc. Plus the special children's films from the Children's Film Club. It was 3p and then went up to 6p in later years.

I had a cassette recorder and taped TPTPs, my dad used to get up in the middle and ask if anyone wanted tea. Every ****** week!

The Goodies on BBC2 on a Monday night before the High Chapparel (sp). I had to watch in my granny's as our TV did not get BBC2.

Perri Cheese and Onion crisps.

I remember my mum and dad getting BBC2 you had to have a new ariel so everyone in the street thought we were dead posh (we obviously were) not

That made me laugh. A schoolfriend and I wanted to see the film "Phantom of the Opera" - the one with Herbert Lom - at the cinema but we weren't quite old enough, so we slapped on extra make-up and put on our most grown-up clothes and teetered off for the bus on our kitten-heeled sandals. When the clippie arrived we asked for the children's fare as we usually did on the way to school but he didn't believe us so we had to pay full price. When we arrived at the cinema, they weren't fooled by our attempts to look older and wouldn't let us in - so we lost out all round!

Those tube/vacuum contraptions in shops for whizzing money to the accounts staff, American tan tights from Martin Ford to replace the stockings and suspenders - oh what joy! - Lucky Bags, weekly wage packets, keeping a hanky up your knicker leg, stamp collecting, tadpoles in jars on the kitchen window sill, Round the Horne, The Navy Lark, Two-Way Family Favourites, Juke Box Jury, hiding behind the settee trying not to watch Quatermass.

i remember all of it! ths struck a chord because we used to do the same - only successfully! go into town on the bus half fare, then go in to see the x films. could get the last bus home and walk home from the bus stop with no fear.

when i was a child, i remember mum always having california poppy perfume but when she was elserly, she used to say how she wished she could have a bottle of evening in paris as it was the perfume of her youth. eventually i decided she had to have some and went to the ends of the earth to get some (pre internet). i finally found some and gave it to her in great anticipation, only for her to say it didn't smell the same. sigh.

i definitely remember max factor panstick - went orange on everyone. the posh department store, a branch of john lewis used to have glass pots of face powder all different colours which used to fascinate me. i think they made your own colour from them. they also used to have expensive violet choks in glass cases with crystallised violets on top.

the wooden tops was the best watch with mother with spot the dog and the bald baby.

american tan tights were a big no no - it had to be mink. lol

Every Abba song getting to the top of the charts, Radio Caroline, taking picnics and a radio to the park and not having to worry about paedos and dog poo, building dens and climbing trees.
Watching Ivor the Engine, Camberwick Green, The Mole, Mr. Ben, the Herb Garden, the Wombles, collecting bottles and cardboard tubes for Blue Peter projects - being a bit too emotional over the lack of sticky backed plastic in our house.
Pretending to know what all the very rude swear words meant, school discos, youth clubs, going badge mad in Brownies and Guides.
Being a mod with a diagonal fringe, being a sweat (heavy metal fan) with long crimped hair, being a punk fan when it all started and having really short and spiky red and blue hair. Fab times :)

I remember space dust and ice breaker chocolate bars, watching Blakes 7 and fancying Avon, summer holiday tv including Belle and Sebastian, the Flashing Blade, White Horses, Robinson Crusoe and Casey Jones. Earliest tv memories were of Marine Boy with his oxygum and his dolphin.

Perfumes 5am, Jovan and Andron, with Denim and Old Spice for the boys.

Yes - climbing trees! I used to go egg collecting with Colin Chambers who sent me up the trees while he steadied our bikes that I'd used for leverage to get onto the branches. You'd never think it to look at me now! He kept the eggs cocooned in cotton wool in shoe boxes under his bed and catalogued them but I never knew why.....

We used to do a thing with our bus tickets - by adding up the numbers on them, over and over again until you were left with a number under 36, you could work out the initial of the man you would marry!! Of course it was different every trip!

Aqua Manda perfume; Miners make-up; greasy cream eyeshadows; going to bed with flick-ups pinned inside a hairnet so they would bounce back to life in the morning when released; summer coats that were mandatory attire for travelling to work; full size umbrellas that I'd always leave on the train - seemed like years before the telescopic ones arrived.

Meccano.....I'm not a tomboy but I loved my brother's sets more than he did!

Ainiseed Balls

Camp Coffee

Stockings and Suspender Belts before the arrival of tights!

I used to love to go shopping in Blackpool with Mum and Big Sis, we always (well that's what I remember) had egg sandwiches in Hills (dept store long since closed) not egg mayo, just sliced egg in the thinnest possible white sliced bread. I suspect because it was the cheapest sandwich they sold in their cafeteria (never called a coffee shop!).

Later I'd go with Mandy (bezzie mate) to buy outfits for the Cricket/Tennis/Rugby Club disco, usually from Paige, Chelsea Girl (now River Island), Van Allen or Top Shop followed by something sugary at the Tennessee Pancake House (is it still there? corner of Bank Hey St?). Quite often went to Beat Night at the Pleasure Beach Ice Rink, skating v fast to v loud music, even had my own skates. I remember trying to impress a group of lads by launching myself gracefully onto the ice, only to go arse over tit because I'd left the plastic guards on the blades! Still mortified!

By the time we were 16 we could (sometimes) get into nightclubs: Sands, Man Fridays (alternative night was tuesday), The Adam & Eve or (personal favourite) the 007 (full title Brian London's 007). Years earlier my sis was at the Lemon Tree (now flats) when a man was stabbed and everyone had to be interviewed by the police....boy did she get a rollicking cos she was 17 and s'posed to be revising with her mate Julie for their A Levels. Busted big time! I suspect anyone on holiday in Blackpool in the 70s and early 80s may remember some of these clubs, though many gave out locals only membership cards to keep out the grockles (didn't work). Local boys used to ask if you were on holiday and if you lived in the Fylde they'd move on to find a girl on her hols and looking for....er..."romance".

Jude xx

Last edited:
Tom Jones bows in the hair
Cheek kiss curls sellotaped in before bed
Sleeping in rollers (I DON'T miss!)
Quilted housecoats
Frilly shower caps (except we didn't have a shower!)

Where are the blokes, now Busy's mentioned Meccano...come on, we can stand hearing about your Hornby Dublo's, your forts and toy soldiers et al!

We used to do a thing with our bus tickets - by adding up the numbers on them, over and over again until you were left with a number under 36, you could work out the initial of the man you would marry!

I hope it's allowed to correct your own mistakes later because I didn't actually have 10 spare letters of the alphabet!

Wonderful thread.

Identify with a fair few of these, particularly Merryones recollection of the teen mags - My Guy and Blue Jeans - which I had completely forgotten about until reminded, but now I can see them as plain as day.

My most vivid recolletions are of Sunday teas. Crab paste sandwiches, jelly with tinned fruit and evaporated milk, followed by cakes. And all to the sounds of "Sing Something Simple" on the radio. No tellys in the kitchen in those days.

On the subject of food, can remember when Alpen first came on the scene. We though we were so posh having muesli for breakfast.

Does anyone remember the little flat dolls that were in vogue briefly... a sort of rubbery affair ,with long hair of varying bright colours - think they were called "Flatsy" or something. Everybody I've ever asked has looked at me as though i was nuts. and shaken their heads sadly before sidling away with a concerned look. ButI can deffo remember having one, which I used to keep in the top pocket of my coat with her head peeping out. Well, I did 'til i lost it, which was probably all of two weeks.

Do kids still play "kerbie"...... the hours we spent chucking balls at kerbs and shed walls, trying ever more convoluted ways of getting extra bounces.

Anyone remember collecting Green shield stamps and the dreadful nylon shirts that the guys got free with petrol..sorry if they have been mentioned already. It's a great thread but I haven't had time to read it all the way through yet...

Anyone remember collecting Green shield stamps ...

Yep - and pink ones too. I also remember going to what I think were called "redemption" shops to get the goodies - bit like Argos are now.

Wine shops in Norway were exactly the same when we visited 25 years ago - nothing on display, just a man behind a counter who disappeared out the back with your order and returned with an exorbitantly priced bottle. There were restrcitions on how many you could have. We saw a man sobbing on the steps outside because he'd dropped his bottle as he was leaving the shop. Beer, however, was unrestricted, cheap as chips and could be bought at supermarkets.

Wonderful thread.

Identify with a fair few of these, particularly Merryones recollection of the teen mags - My Guy and Blue Jeans - which I had completely forgotten about until reminded, but now I can see them as plain as day.

My most vivid recolletions are of Sunday teas. Crab paste sandwiches, jelly with tinned fruit and evaporated milk, followed by cakes. And all to the sounds of "Sing Something Simple" on the radio. No tellys in the kitchen in those days.

On the subject of food, can remember when Alpen first came on the scene. We though we were so posh having muesli for breakfast.

Does anyone remember the little flat dolls that were in vogue briefly... a sort of rubbery affair ,with long hair of varying bright colours - think they were called "Flatsy" or something. Everybody I've ever asked has looked at me as though i was nuts. and shaken their heads sadly before sidling away with a concerned look. ButI can deffo remember having one, which I used to keep in the top pocket of my coat with her head peeping out. Well, I did 'til i lost it, which was probably all of two weeks.

Do kids still play "kerbie"...... the hours we spent chucking balls at kerbs and shed walls, trying ever more convoluted ways of getting extra bounces.

gawd i hated sunday tea. it haunts me to this day. mandarin orages and evaporated milk. yuk!

don't remember flatsys. i remember when trolls became a craze, we used to make little felt utfits for them.

alpen - 70's?

how about wimpy bars? you could have a limp burger or a frankfurter that was cut so it curled into a circle.

how about wimpy bars? you could have a limp burger or a frankfurter that was cut so it curled into a circle.

Benders - made me snigger then and, apparently, still does today for some inexplicable reason.

Last edited:
Don't think Wimpys have changed that much.
They stillhave one in my favorite holiday town in Dorset- and everything still much the same. Though I am convinced that the "knickerbocker glorys" are half the size they used to be. :grin: And not half as exciting.

Latest posts

Back