The last time i looked, i was not a guy !

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Whilst i agree that there has been a decline in standards over the years it's not just parents that are at fault. Teachers used to be able to discipline children when they misbehaved in school. Having worked in a school the norm was to reward bad behaviour and largely ignore the good students, that can't be helpful in later life. It's also not just young people who are always on mobiles during meals of going out causing fights whilst drunk. Calling someone guys, folks or mate is not something that bothers me but a lot of other anti social behaviour does.

I love that language evolves, it's not all just Americanisms. Take the brilliant word 'Omnishambles' from 'The Thick Of It' a couple of years ago, now widely used in politics and the media. It's a great word.

I have an aversion to being referred to as "you guys " - mainly an affectation used by anyone under 55, and used more and more by presenters. Chloe says it A LOT , and used the term in her hour with YBF!

This term is used constantly on other tv progs - particularly where members of the public are involved ie Escape to the Country.

I have even been called a 'guy' by the M'aitre d when attending a dinner at a local top hotel. My friend and I walked in and was immediately asked "do you guys have a reservation ?" He finished up grovelling by the time I finished with him. (for years I wouldn't say boo to a goose, but boy how times have changed)

Well done brissels! He should have known how to address customers politely .

It's easy to look upon the 'good old days' as times when people were better people. I was born in the 80s and look at the 70s with horror and disgust at the acceptance (from some) of child abuse and sexism. Everything isn't great now, just as everything wasn't great then. Ok manners might not be as good now as they used to be, but there are a lot of things that are a damn sight better.

I will happily take a world where women, different sexualities and different races are all judged as equals, rather than a world 40 or 50 years ago where there may have been a few more P's and Q's but there was a terrible attitude to those groups of people.

But can't we have both?

I'm sure I speak for the majority on here who treat others with equality AND politeness. I'm over 60 and I still call people Mr or Mrs if they are not a personal friend until such times as they tell me to do otherwise and even then there are some older folk I want to give them their place and respect and would never presume to call them by their Christian name.

Mind you we all too often say meaningless phrases, the U.S. "have a nice day" when they honestly couldn't care less if you dropped down dead in front of them or the till operator saying "sorry to keep you waiting" the minute you get to till even though you haven't waited even a second is what I call "only a word in their mouth" it means nothing, they don't even realise they are saying it.
Even saying "how are you doing" when the last thing you want to know is anything of their trials and tribulations. Polite but meaningless.

But can't we have both?

I'm sure I speak for the majority on here who treat others with equality AND politeness. I'm over 60 and I still call people Mr or Mrs if they are not a personal friend until such times as they tell me to do otherwise and even then there are some older folk I want to give them their place and respect and would never presume to call them by their Christian name.
Mind you we all too often say meaningless phrases, the U.S. "have a nice day" when they honestly couldn't care less if you dropped down dead in front of them or the till operator saying "sorry to keep you waiting" the minute you get to till even though you haven't waited even a second is what I call "only a word in their mouth" it means nothing, they don't even realise they are saying it.
Even saying "how are you doing" when the last thing you want to know is anything of their trials and tribulations. Polite but meaningless.

Me too, which goes to show its a generational 'age' thing; and the sad part is, this will die out when we do.

Referring to the poster who mentioned her continental guests being bemused/bewildered at the antics of the 'Saturday nighters' in a city centre; for a few years recently I was a frequent visitor to Switzerland and surrounding countries - and YES the attitude of young people across the Channel is so far removed from here that its like being on another planet, and they wear winter coats in freezing temperatures on a night out !

Latest posts

Back