'The' letter

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

quibble Usage Examples
Object
guarantee: This is backed by our no quibble lowest price guarantee.
policy: You have the security of knowing this is backed by a no quibbles return policy.
Converse of object
have: We also have a minor quibble with the price.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/quibble

Hi there, I got the "call" today rather than the "letter". :eek: Because I could tell the woman why I sent so much back - skincare that didn't list ingredients, fragrance I didn't like, sizes that were wrong, info listed that was incorrect etc., she was a bit forthcoming. Apparently they are being asked to contact everyone who returns more than 50% of their purchases. The company is struggling a bit because they are losing money on these purchases and on people who cancel cheque holds - there are admin costs there. They feel they can manage 50% returns, but will be looking into limiting or closing accounts of people who return more than that. She also said the studios were being told to stop the "buy them all and return the ones you don't like" sales pitch. Claim is they just can't afford it anymore.

Hi there, I got the "call" today rather than the "letter". :eek: Because I could tell the woman why I sent so much back - skincare that didn't list ingredients, fragrance I didn't like, sizes that were wrong, info listed that was incorrect etc., she was a bit forthcoming. Apparently they are being asked to contact everyone who returns more than 50% of their purchases. The company is struggling a bit because they are losing money on these purchases and on people who cancel cheque holds - there are admin costs there. They feel they can manage 50% returns, but will be looking into limiting or closing accounts of people who return more than that. She also said the studios were being told to stop the "buy them all and return the ones you don't like" sales pitch. Claim is they just can't afford it anymore.

Thanks - that's very interesting. I don't buy much from QVC and have never returned anything, but it's an interesting statistic. I can't imagine another company (or any company!) that could cope with half it's stuff being returned on a regular basis! Of course, not everyone returns half the items they buy, and I'm sure we'll be on the lookout for accurate descriptions of the 30 MBG!
'You can return this within 30 days and get your money back, but if you return half or more of the purchases you'll make, we'll get tetchy.'

I can kinda see their point, anyone who returns half their purchases will cost QVC money/profits. Do they make any distinction between people who return unused products for the reasons that you mention, and anyone who consistently returns well-used products after 29 days?!

I am sure that I have heard presenters - especially AY - say that companies who sell on QVC must be very confident of their products because those companies are the ones that must take the loss is the product is returned - not QVC - so what exactly do they mean by that?

If they didn't lie in their presentations, or let's be charitable and say if they were not so economical with the truth, there would not be so many returns. I for one don't expect an eau de parfum described as elegant and sophisticated to smell like fly spray, but that's me and my fussy nature for you.

I think I must be due for "the letter" soon, but cos I'm a bit sad I'm now quite looking forward to it! With all the preparation I've had from reading this thread I'm quite hopeful I will be able to kick bottom!

That's all very interesting, I tend to have little flurries of sending things back for perfectly good reasons but I do think it might trigger "the letter" or worse if you send several things back close together. Well QVC is going to have to either rein the presenters in or accept the returns rates that follow all the urging to use the 30 day MBG that goes on.

im sirprised i havent had a phone call or letter yet most of the things i buy go back due to quality issues.

The other thing i was wondering about if you wanted an account after your's got closed is there anything stopping you setting up another account under a close relative's name and sending them to your address?

These letters only seemed to surface a few years ago when the ownership of QVC changed. So i don't buy the credit crunch angle.

The Letter

Really ticked off at this as I thought they'd stopped doing this. From what you say, you keep more than you send back or it averages out over the time. Here is my experience of 'the letter' which I received a few years. Most important thing to remember is, you are the buyer, QVC are the seller, this automatically means that you are more use to them than they are to you. Without QVC, Sally can still buy from other TV channels for her her crafting supplies or visit local shops, internet etc Ok, not with 30day MBG, could involve trip into town, wiping out savings (if any made) Which is why the start of this paragraph is important. You are the client, they need you more than you need them. Before calling them, check out your account on you web site and total the items bought and kept and write down and keep handy. To digress I had bought my last PC's, last 4 printers, my surround sound system, 3 freeview boxes and 3 2 DVD recorders. All of which I kept. I then made the mistake of ordering some craft item totalling over £250 of which I reurned about £30 worth as it was substandard/damaged on arrive. This obviously set the alarm bells ringing and I got 'The Letter'. The resulting converation started out pleasant enough but it soon became apparant that my returns were the issue. So, I pointed out the total of goods I had kept which outweighed to stuff I'd returned and asked if they'd prefer me take my business elsewhere as there were plenty of places selling their products. QVC, I pointed out should consider me a valued customer even if I'd only bought from them once before because If I'm happy with a retailer, I tend to stick with them and the things I was hapiest with them were their excellent CS, the letter I got a few months after I'd bought a product telling me that it was being relaunched and I was therefore getting a refund of the difference between the new lower price and the one I'd originally paid AND the fact that I can try the items in my home and return for a full refund if dissatisfied. I guess that (maybe) becuse I kept my cool and didn't shout or scream, the QVC guy was able to see that losing my patronage would be a bad thing. Ok, I had bought a lot of 'high end' goods and spent some serious dosh BUT, it's my opinion, and should be all of yours too, that a purchase is a sale, a return means there is something wrong with the goods and no self respecting company would want their customers to accept unacceptable goods, they'd want you to be happy with so that you'd stay loyal to them. Since then, If I have to return anything, I always phobe to ask for a pre payment label to save me the postage and right now, I have a major prolem with an item bought over 18 months ago which I promise I will tell you about (if you're still awake after this post), once it has been sorted to the satisfacton of both myself & QVC. After all, we are a partnership and occasionally your partner needs reminding of that - in a nice way of course. Hope you find this helpful Sally. Be firm, be determined, believe in your right to return anything that does suit but above all believe me when I tell you that even the biggest shopping channel can soon become the smallests if they end up losing 1000's of customers every month. Good luck with your problem, I really hope you can get a suitable outcome but at the end of the, it'll be their loss, not your. Please post again to tell us how you got on. BTW, sorry for ranting on but I wanted to try to get everything down that your needed to consider.:)

Very interesting post Wolfie. [I'm only up this late/early because the athletics have started at the Olympics and I'm a great fan!]

I've stated before here that I've never actually returned anything, and I'm buying more than ever mainly because I don't really enjoy shopping around town. I've never had any quallity issues so I've been really lucky, compared to many of you. I'm not easily persuaded to buy so that could also have something to do with it!

The only phrase which I would question from the above post is "a return means there is something wrong with the goods". Is that really true? I'm sure many people just change their mind. I can't really understand why viewers return as many as 50% of their purchases UNLESS they're faulty. Just think of the wasted P&P!! And that is probably why the P&P is so high - to compensate for the returns. I appreciate that they push the 30 days MBG and that's why viewers get annoyed with 'the letter'.

I'm probably tempting fate now! Maybe the next few orders will disappoint!

But surely it shouldn't matter if people return items because they've changed their minds as I've heard all presenters use this as an important selling hook and that's why the unconditional part of the 30 day mbg should be stressed to CS when discussing The Letter. It's either unconditional or it's not and if it isn't then QVC need to spell this out on air in every show so that everybody is clear there are conditions in force with regard to returns. :pPC:

QVC website

Returns

QVC will happily refund or replace any damaged or faulty item within a period of six months from delivery. Simply call Customer Services to return an item on 0800 51 41 31 for a pre-paid label for items sent via Royal Mail. For any items that are too large to send, you'll need to arrange for collection by courier.

Every product purchased is backed by our 30-day money-back guarantee for extra peace of mind. So, if you decide you'd prefer a different colour, size or a refund, just return it to us within 30 days of receipt using the enclosed returns label. The postage and packaging however, will not be refunded. You'll need to include your QVC membership details and order number too.

This is straight from the QVC website, so surely they have no grounds for moaning about returns.

When speaking calmly to the CS person the other day, she asked me why I returned so many things. I asked her if there was a system that recorded the reasons and comments put down on the returns slip with the item. She said no. I asked why on a number of occassions when I asked for a replacement I was just given a refund. She said the staff in returns don't read the slips. I then asked if it would make sense for the company to have this information, it might influence their buying in future. She said she would pass the idea on. Well it was their idea in the first place, why have the slips if they don't read them? :confused:
I return very few things because I have changed my mind. Usually it's because they don't fit or they smell awful or breakouts...when trying cosmetics or clothing or anything new without seeing in the flesh they must expect returns. I said nothing about the number of times I received used goods, faulty goods or just the wrong goods! :D

Hi
I'v not posted before but have been lurking for ages ,I to have had the letter once when my credit card had expired between easy pays and then again because I was returning to many of the items that I ordered, I have to agree that if they continue to plug the 30 day money back guarantee then they must expect a certain amount of returns. I only buy from them knowing that I can always return the item if I dont like it or it is so different from wha was described a the time.

But surely it shouldn't matter if people return items because they've changed their minds as I've heard all presenters use this as an important selling hook and that's why the unconditional part of the 30 day mbg should be stressed to CS when discussing The Letter. It's either unconditional or it's not and if it isn't then QVC need to spell this out on air in every show so that everybody is clear there are conditions in force with regard to returns. :pPC:

I agree, it shouldn't matter under the current conditions! All I said was that I couldn't understand why some people return such a high percentage of items, because of the wasted P&P. And I still think that this contributes to the high P&P that QVC charge. I also think that it's perfectly reasonable for QVC to ask politely why customers send so many items back IF the feedback is used constructively to address issues such as fit, quality, lists of ingredients, etc.

Latest posts

Back