The One That Got Away

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

mariecat

Registered Shopper
Have thought about starting a thread on this for a while now, and - inspired by Minim on the 'TSVs you miss' thread - decided to take the plunge:

Which item or items from the past on QVC do you wish you'd bought - and kept - at the time, but didn't, to your eternal agony? Here was Minim on the TSV thread about the rose gold morganite ring: "I should have gone for it & it's haunted me ever since". Hope you don't mind me quoting you, Minim, but it sums up exactly how I feel about this: a heavy 18ct yellow gold box chain with a heart-shaped clasp to fasten it - it was around £77 - and here's where the agony comes in - I actually ordered it, tried it on, and thought it was "too gaudy", so I returned it. Apart from anything else, the resale value on this would be worth a fortune at today's gold prices. I'll never see its like again. :doh:

Have you got your own particular regret? Go on, get it off your chest!

Maybe I just need to move forwards and not look back. Maybe this is a jewellery thing...

I regret not buying the silver sweetie bracelet that was a TSV a few years ago. It was only 20 something pounds. I didn't wear silver at the time. I Soooo regret not getting it. I also wish I'd bought the Claudia ring as it was something I intended to buy at a later date but won't be buying now as the price has rocketed.

Yes, it would be jewellery with me too, particularly Diamonique set in gold. I love the one ring and one pair of small stud earrings I have from many years ago and always assumed I would add to them over time.

I certainly agree about Claudia's ring too - out of my league now!

That's it isn't it, Disenchanted? We always, as you put it, assumed we could add to our gold jewellery over time. Remember they were just flinging it at us on all those Gold Day shows?! How I miss those! Like you, I particularly liked the Diamonique set in gold; I'll just have to enjoy and wear the very few pieces I managed to get (probably not a bad thing, since I tend to wear the same little favourites day in day out).

I completely agree with WSO40.

Exactly the two items I regret and for exactly the same reasons.

Also an eek diamonique "holiday" charm bracelet.Was on a summer surprise years back but again didn't wear silver at the time.

I also hanker after a NN flannel set that I saw on a bargain hunter for about £50? My king size is now £75.But it would fit so perfectly in my bedroom.

Would you believe its actually showing as no P&P at the mo and I do have a 3 easy pay code to use...but my DH will really kill me if I buy anymore...and I do want to see what the kipling TSV is.

I've been watching the NN shows in the hope it will come up as 4 easy pay and free and P&P...and with an anniversary price!!! But no luck yet!!!

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.800312.cm_scid.KeywordSearch

That's it isn't it, Disenchanted? We always, as you put it, assumed we could add to our gold jewellery over time. Remember they were just flinging it at us on all those Gold Day shows?! How I miss those! Like you, I particularly liked the Diamonique set in gold; I'll just have to enjoy and wear the very few pieces I managed to get (probably not a bad thing, since I tend to wear the same little favourites day in day out).

Great description Mariecat, they were indeed "flinging" it at us and it was the price and range of the jewellery that made me join in the first place. I remember poring over the website and being very impressed by the choice of gemstones that were available in every possible design.

I've always loved jewellery since I got my first piece as a teenager in the 60s - it was a pendant fob watch on a long chain, pretty groovy then!!

I wear and love silver as well as gold - love the patina uncoated silver gets being worn over time. Sounds like the silver sweetie bracelet was a real miss - and £20 is excellent for a bracelet!

... it was the price and range of the jewellery that made me join in the first place Yes, to that Disenchanted, that's exactly why I joined! Loved going Diamonique crazy at the beginning, then branching out!!

I also hanker after a NN flannel set that I saw on a bargain hunter for about £50? My king size is now £75.But it would fit so perfectly in my bedroom.

Would you believe its actually showing as no P&P at the mo and I do have a 3 easy pay code to use...but my DH will really kill me if I buy anymore...and I do want to see what the kipling TSV is.

I've been watching the NN shows in the hope it will come up as 4 easy pay and free and P&P...and with an anniversary price!!! But no luck yet!!!

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.800312.cm_scid.KeywordSearch
The free p & p is a good saving . You could wait and hope for a one time only or clearance but you may not get the size.

Like you, Disenchanted, I've always loved jewellery. You see your first piece - the pendant fob watch on a long chain? Well, those are bang 'on-trend' - you see them in trendy shops like Urban Outfitters; if you still have it, by chance, you should haul it out and wear it (or go into Topshop or similar and get a real sense of deja vu)! (My first pieces as a teenager in the 70s were little cheap dangling earrings from market stalls - couldn't wait for my new ear piercings to heal up so I could wear them!)

wso40: you're being careful and that's good, but will it be the 'one that got away'? Since your DH would be on the warpath, perhaps really think what you need most: the sheets would be for both of you, so that could sell it to him (LOL!), or, if you already have enough sheets, wait for the kipling. Mind you... a bird in the hand... I'm not really helping, am I? You know what though, if you're in a real quandary, hold off and don't buy yet. (NB check if your 3 easy pay code has an expiry date.)

Like you, Disenchanted, I've always loved jewellery. You see your first piece - the pendant fob watch on a long chain? Well, those are bang 'on-trend' - you see them in trendy shops like Urban Outfitters; if you still have it, by chance, you should haul it out and wear it (or go into Topshop or similar and get a real sense of deja vu)! (My first pieces as a teenager in the 70s were little cheap dangling earrings from market stalls - couldn't wait for my new ear piercings to heal up so I could wear them!)

Well, I was going to say I am surprised the pendant fob watch is back in fashion but then everything goes in cycles. I've been dragging myself round the shops as part of research for a project - how I loathe High Street shops! - and have found that the supposedly "new" colours for Autumn and Winter are plum/berry shades and a rather fetching forest green - in fact, all the dark, dusky shades that Biba popularised way back when. Nothing is ever new.

Now, if only I could lay my hands on that watch........

I don't have a QVC "one that got away" but I didn't buy a gold daisy/flower ring on holiday a few years ago. I had my sensible head on at the time. I could afford it but I told myself I didn't need it ... who ever needs a piece of jewellery eh?!

I regretted it from the word go and have hunted for something similar for years. It's started an obsession with daisy jewellery ... Crazy Daisy, Daisy Stacking Rings, amongst others ... but never THAT ring until Christmas 2011 when I found the Alex Monroe daisy ring. Cost me three times what the original would have. The original was gold this one is silver.

So don't let them get away!!! I have my sensible head on these days as we all have to but if a piece captured my heart the way that ring did I would absolutely buy it.

And I now have the Alex Montoe earrings to match the ring with a pendant on my Christmas list.

Last edited:
I bought a Vegas blue sapphire ring about 4 years ago, the pave set sapphires were a stunning royal blue with great sparkle. I had also bought a ring from elsewhere, I couldn't affford to keep both so sent it back. Have always regretted it. :sad:

Now ladies, take heart. There was a reason you did not buy, or decided to return those items, maybe you have forgotton what it was and what your money bought instead. Now, I am ruthless, brutal even when it comes to selling, or chucking, or returning stuff. There have only been a small handful of occasions when I have regretted it, but que sera sera.

Remember, all you eek lovers, whilstI count myself amongst your number, I know it is very cheap to produce for QVC , whereas the gold it is set in is expentive now. You know this trend for selling gold? Well I didn't do this, but instead, I gathered up all my broken gold, sll the eek set in gold that I never wore and all the heavy gold I no longer or rarely wore. I had a piece from my childhood that I really really loved- remember the gold blend gold coffee bean? Well- I had one from Argos that was hollow and paper thin, my aunt bought it when the ads were on the telly and I wore it to death and totally loved it. I have never loved a piece of jewelery more, save for wedding/ engagement ring and charm bracelet. Anyhow, my hollow pendant got squished and the chain broke, I was heartbroken. I kept the bean all these years. 3 years ago I was having one of my brutal "clear outs" and decided to take all my broken gold bits and bobs and unworn eek to my favourite jeweller, ( a proper one who makes jewelery rather than just put batteries in watches). He made a mould out of my hollow pendant and melted down all my old gold, to make a solid coffee bean, matching solid coffee bean studs, a set in both white and yellow gold. I never eben liked freshly groung coffee! Anyhow, totally loved my set of gold earings . Wear either pendant or earings or both most days,

So why not have something you have always wanted made for you, especially if you know what it is you want.

Now ladies, take heart. There was a reason you did not buy, or decided to return those items, maybe you have forgotton what it was and what your money bought instead. Now, I am ruthless, brutal even when it comes to selling, or chucking, or returning stuff. There have only been a small handful of occasions when I have regretted it, but que sera sera.

Remember, all you eek lovers, whilstI count myself amongst your number, I know it is very cheap to produce for QVC , whereas the gold it is set in is expentive now. You know this trend for selling gold? Well I didn't do this, but instead, I gathered up all my broken gold, sll the eek set in gold that I never wore and all the heavy gold I no longer or rarely wore. I had a piece from my childhood that I really really loved- remember the gold blend gold coffee bean? Well- I had one from Argos that was hollow and paper thin, my aunt bought it when the ads were on the telly and I wore it to death and totally loved it. I have never loved a piece of jewelery more, save for wedding/ engagement ring and charm bracelet. Anyhow, my hollow pendant got squished and the chain broke, I was heartbroken. I kept the bean all these years. 3 years ago I was having one of my brutal "clear outs" and decided to take all my broken gold bits and bobs and unworn eek to my favourite jeweller, ( a proper one who makes jewelery rather than just put batteries in watches). He made a mould out of my hollow pendant and melted down all my old gold, to make a solid coffee bean, matching solid coffee bean studs, a set in both white and yellow gold. I never eben liked freshly groung coffee! Anyhow, totally loved my set of gold earings . Wear either pendant or earings or both most days,

So why not have something you have always wanted made for you, especially if you know what it is you want.

One of my sisters did something similar. She had a lot of gold - far more than she could ever wear. So she also went to a local jewellers and had it all melted down and made into 4 slave bangles, one for each of her daughters.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I had a solid gold coffee bean charm on a bracelet in the 1980s. It was handmade and I loved it. But I lost it. Mine was inspired by a childhood lust after my godmother's charm bracelet. That was a single charm ... Mexican hat not a coffee bean though. I am such a lucky girl though. I never replaced the coffee bean but I did inherit the original Mexican hat bracelet. :eek:)

My friend had a bangle/bracelet made using the gold (and some!) set with all the stones from the pieces she could no longer wear. It's a lovely memory piece.

I had a brooch made into a ring. It was a simple solitaire garnet in a gold bar.

I must admit I did look into getting my "one that got away" ring designed for me but because it was from scratch it would have been quite an investment.

Looks as if another one got away :doh:

I saw & lusted after an Epiphany Platinum Ring (item number was 6000469) I dillied and dallied and of course, my size sold out so I contacted Q who replied on 17 May
"I (sic) pleased to advise that the Epiphany Platinum Clad Diamond Accent Band Ring in size J is a regular item and is expected to become available in the near future .... can confirm this ring in size J should now be available to order on Waitlist on our website"

I checked my account today. It read "cancelled"

In the past, they've e-mailed me to say my 90 days are up, do I want to go back on the waitlist.
... CUSTOMER CARE DIDN'T DO THAT THIS TIME - DID YOU LAWRENCE!

Latest posts

Back