Todays Top Tech with Ring TSV 17/09/20

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

2nd gen Cheaper on amazon £89- if you don’t need the extra battery ( I.e you already have a wired door bell and want to replace it )

I suppose if you live in big house that’s vulnerable to break ins etc, you’re out/away a lot so need to make sure deliveries are put in appropriate places, intruders aren’t lurking etc etc. But a regular doorbell all we need as semi retired living in a terrace near a town centre. Can see it being one of those things that we all think we need- So will buy into, a bit like satnav for people who never leave their home town! Very costly indeed - and more expensive than any package pinched from behind my bin or door step- and it still won’t guarantee catching the culprit!

Neighbour of mine across road has one of these and really don't like the fact they can watch back live feed, something happened recently and they knew it had happened before I told them, turned out they knew as they saw it on their live view. Kinda feel like you are being spied on!!! :cautious:

Neighbour of mine across road has one of these and really don't like the fact they can watch back live feed, something happened recently and they knew it had happened before I told them, turned out they knew as they saw it on their live view. Kinda feel like you are being spied on!!! :cautious:

Yes, "Big Brother is watching you". These doorbells have their place, and it's not in my street...funnily enough one of my friends (yes that one!) had got one, but she didn't go on too much about it because it was faulty and she's waiting for a replacement. Some years ago I had my bike stolen from our staff carpark at work and the culprit was caught on CCTV, pic was as clear as day, but he was never caught and I never got my bike back, so don't have much faith in this sort of thing anyway. But in some circumstances might make a potential burglar decide not to bother!

I love mine. I can tell parcel guy to leave it by the door or wait until I can get there as I'm really slow.

It's definitely a deterrent, too. My OH got an alert when he was at work and when I was out so he asked if he could help and the hoody-baseball-cap bloke scarpered. It caught some very suspicious behaviour but got rid of him pretty quick.

We tried it a year or so ago but no matter which device we used it drained the battery in no time at all so we sent it back - for once Q 30 days was useful.

My neighbour has just installed a camera as someone sent anonymous letters to them and the council accusing them of mistreating their dog. I’ve got to say I’m a bit uneasy as I don’t know how much of our garden they are able to see and video, not that I’m doing anything but it does put a dampener on being outside. Still I suppose if we were having trouble with unsavoury characters I would be glad of it.

Lots of construction type work went on in our street since lockdown and I’m always saying to Mr L I’m going to get a Drone to have a nosy!

I did not realize my neighbour had one of these installed till I was out gardening and I heard it being rung and it had the same ring as the advert.

I did not realize my neighbour had one of these installed till I was out gardening and I heard it being rung and it had the same ring as the advert.

That's the one thing I hate about it. It's a horrible tone that sets my teeth on edge. You can alter the tone that comes through the phone and the chime but you can't alter the actual ding dong ring. Annoying.

We tried it a year or so ago but no matter which device we used it drained the battery in no time at all so we sent it back - for once Q 30 days was useful.

My neighbour has just installed a camera as someone sent anonymous letters to them and the council accusing them of mistreating their dog. I’ve got to say I’m a bit uneasy as I don’t know how much of our garden they are able to see and video, not that I’m doing anything but it does put a dampener on being outside. Still I suppose if we were having trouble with unsavoury characters I would be glad of it.

Lots of construction type work went on in our street since lockdown and I’m always saying to Mr L I’m going to get a Drone to have a nosy!

You should ask if they have a privacy mode on what's recording. Our neighbour showed us his on his phone when we asked. It just blacks out areas on screen. Or you can ask them to put a physical blind thing on it.

What were the settings on your Ring? It doesn't drain ours but I don't have it on when my OH is around as he's my butler for all things front door and phone related.

I said before in another post about Ring, my downstairs neighbour has one. She is a pensioner and her grandson lives with her and it was him who bought and put it up. Now he did come and tell me it covers part of my front garden and path in the filming.

He has a very flashy car parked at the front door and a woman and man turned up saying they were from the council and asking if she had a new back door put on as well as the front. Yes, she did. She even offers to show them. But they spotted the Ring and suddenly oh no that is fine. Turns out this couple has been in the area very interested in new cars people saw them looking at different cars. So the call can we check at the front door and then grabbing car keys without being noticed. Most people drop their car keys beside the door it seems.

That's the one thing I hate about it. It's a horrible tone that sets my teeth on edge. You can alter the tone that comes through the phone and the chime but you can't alter the actual ding dong ring. Annoying.

You should ask if they have a privacy mode on what's recording. Our neighbour showed us his on his phone when we asked. It just blacks out areas on screen. Or you can ask them to put a physical blind thing on it.

What were the settings on your Ring? It doesn't drain ours but I don't have it on when my OH is around as he's my butler for all things front door and phone related.
He speaks occasionaly, so I won't be asking.

Latest posts

Back