Top twenty best winter coats

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Grizelda

ShoppingTelly Supporter
One of today's newspapers showed pictures. Not one of them was in animal print. No parkers with fur collars a la Ruth Langsford. None were long puffers like Centigrade offer. One was a Seasalt jacket and many were reminiscent of Helene Berman's overcoats, but not with her label. Interesting, I thought.

I will stick up for the likes of centigrade puffers/parkas etc though. As nice as it is to have a well made, stylish warm coat for Autumn/Winter, in our country it isn't those that we reach for time and time again! I've got a lovely HB checked overcoat, and a lovely long mustard coloured boucle one, but they're only really good on those rare crisp bright days when it's unlikely to start peeing down with rain, or an evening out when you're not gonna be exposed to the elements for long. I also cycle a fair bit, so a it needs to be parka/puffer or a waterproof anyway. It's a lot harder to look stylish in the winter. Like I say people have to forgo style and end up looking like the abominable snowman 'cause it's preferable to the look and feel of a drowned rat! My coats get most wear in Spring/early Autumn, and that isn't a lot!
I'd not expect to see anything from the Q stable advertised in a fashion magazine or newspaper, so I can't say I'm surprised!

I keep saying I will NOT buy another cloth coat but then see a nice one and before I know it it is in the cupboard with the others I never get an opportunity to wear. It’s usually raining so the first thing I reach for is something waterproof with a hood as there is nothing worse than a wet wool coat slapping around you.

I also own coats that are waiting for the 'right' weather !! Its either too hot or too wet. In my area we escape the worst of 'weather', so warm winter coats plus 3 fur coats have only been worn a handful of times in the past few years, because of the mild weather. Temperatures have constantly been in double figures even in December, and I long for a bit of frost to walk the dog - it kills the flies that seem to hang around for much longer now.

I also own coats that are waiting for the 'right' weather !! Its either too hot or too wet. In my area we escape the worst of 'weather', so warm winter coats plus 3 fur coats have only been worn a handful of times in the past few years, because of the mild weather. Temperatures have constantly been in double figures even in December, and I long for a bit of frost to walk the dog - it kills the flies that seem to hang around for much longer now.

My favourite coat is a Dennis Basso faux fur short zip up jacket with a hood (I know, I know). I had a black one and I wore it out so I got a navy blue one which is still going strong. It's so warm and not too dressed up so I can wear it anywhere. I also have a gorgeous Joe Browns long coat which is the sort of thing you'd wear to go skating in Central Park - one day.

CC

Where do you live Brissles?
30 miles north of London in the Home Counties. When the rest of the country is knee deep in snow, we only have a light dusting. If we do get a fall that needs the drive clearing it will only be around for 2 days max. Equally when there are 80mph winds we just have a couple of hours of strong 'gusts', flooding doesn't affect this area, but we get our fair share of good downpours. So by the time we've reached single figure temperatures and had a week of frost, we've put the clocks forward and its back to Spring again.

My favourite coat is a Dennis Basso faux fur short zip up jacket with a hood (I know, I know). I had a black one and I wore it out so I got a navy blue one which is still going strong. It's so warm and not too dressed up so I can wear it anywhere. I also have a gorgeous Joe Browns long coat which is the sort of thing you'd wear to go skating in Central Park - one day.

CC

Its clearly not 'appropriate' to admit to owning a Dennis Basso, but yes I too bought a pale blue shearling jacket, it was lovely - even had its own dustbag. He also did a striking tsv, some may remember it. A shiny sateen fabric raincoat with hood in 4 colours - a cobalt blue (which I bought), a citrine yellow, a pink the shade I cant describe, and a lime green. I loved it - sorry.

Its clearly not 'appropriate' to admit to owning a Dennis Basso, but yes I too bought a pale blue shearling jacket, it was lovely - even had its own dustbag. He also did a striking tsv, some may remember it. A shiny sateen fabric raincoat with hood in 4 colours - a cobalt blue (which I bought), a citrine yellow, a pink the shade I cant describe, and a lime green. I loved it - sorry.
I have a few of his coats they are good quality. Wonder why he was dropped from QVC his clothes always sold well.

I love my coats & jackets & have a cupboard just for them. My hair gets affected by damp, misty & even muggy weather so I like the protection of a hood but my favourites are 'proper' coats that look smart & make me walk tall. We went Salisbury for the weekend & visited Marlborough on the way home; I was wearing jeans & a red wool snowboarding shirt that I call a jacket. I must have been stopped 10 times in those two lovely, & posh, places to be asked where I bought it, as with my eBay Helene Berman jacket it's an instant confidence garment.

I too have loads of coats from a denim jacket, biker jacket, a couple of parkas, duffel coat, Regatta winter coat, Regatta rain jacket and rain coat with detachable quilted lining that can be worn as a jacket. A couple of "smart" wool winter coats that were absolute bargains, one was half price at £37.50 when I worked in the department store plus I had discount and the other is cream that I wore to youngest Twirlettes winter wedding - 75% reduction from Very so was a steal at £17.50. But my absolute favourite was another department store buy, it is by Dash and is reversible - one side is a grey flannel type of material and the other is black velour.

I too have loads of coats from a denim jacket, biker jacket, a couple of parkas, duffel coat, Regatta winter coat, Regatta rain jacket and rain coat with detachable quilted lining that can be worn as a jacket. A couple of "smart" wool winter coats that were absolute bargains, one was half price at £37.50 when I worked in the department store plus I had discount and the other is cream that I wore to youngest Twirlettes winter wedding - 75% reduction from Very so was a steal at £17.50. But my absolute favourite was another department store buy, it is by Dash and is reversible - one side is a grey flannel type of material and the other is black velour.
Where do you keep all your coats Twirl? I have a few, but they still take up so much hanging space.

Where do you keep all your coats Twirl? I have a few, but they still take up so much hanging space.
Well since youngest Twirlette married and moved out I inherited her large double wardrobe in the, now, spare room. Plus our house is a very old terraced house that has rather grandly named walk in wardrobes in both bedrooms. Which reminds me that I also have a leather coat, a suede coat, a very thick fleece and a very old sheepskin tucked away in them. I am sure that there are others that haven't seen the light of day for many years as well 😳
Oh and I completely forgot my favourite padded coat with a nipped in waist that takes away the bulkiness from it, I think it was half price at £50 from Littlewoods or Very.

I passed on to Goodwill two Basso faux fur coats recently. Old fashioned and frumpy now after wearing them for four winters. BTW, the hang tags in his coats are/were exactly the same as Ruth Langsford's, so she should stop banging on about hers. He got there first.
Joules do them as well.

Well since youngest Twirlette married and moved out I inherited her large double wardrobe in the, now, spare room. Plus our house is a very old terraced house that has rather grandly named walk in wardrobes in both bedrooms. Which reminds me that I also have a leather coat, a suede coat, a very thick fleece and a very old sheepskin tucked away in them. I am sure that there are others that haven't seen the light of day for many years as well 😳
Oh and I completely forgot my favourite padded coat with a nipped in waist that takes away the bulkiness from it, I think it was half price at £50 from Littlewoods or Very.
A lot of coats. Someone -I think it was Carla said that a coat like Ruth Langsford's faux astrakhan could be handed down from mother to daughter!! Would you pass on a coat to your daughters, or do you agree with me that most kids do not want their mothers clothes? Jewellery maybe, but not coats.

A lot of coats. Someone -I think it was Carla said that a coat like Ruth Langsford's faux astrakhan could be handed down from mother to daughter!! Would you pass on a coat to your daughters, or do you agree with me that most kids do not want their mothers clothes? Jewellery maybe, but not coats.
I have actually passed on a coat to both of my Twirlettes. 1 was because I had lost weight and the coat was too big and Twirlette 1 was in need of a coat. She did wear it as well. Twirlette 2 had 1 of my parkas after she had given birth to her first son and didn't have a winter coat that she could fasten. By the time winter was over it was too big for me so she kept it.
They both used to borrow my clothes when they were younger and, I must say, smaller than they are now.
I don't see anything wrong in it if they are in need and I, obviously, have a surfeit of clothes. But as I say they are both quite a bit bigger than me now so my stash is safe 😄

Latest posts

Back