Treatments - now clearer?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Any gold pieces I’ve bought from TJC have been hallmarked, they just don’t make a song and dance about it. I can remember Steve Bennett waxing lyrical in the early days about the importance of a hallmark, the first instance of Consumer Protection. If keeping the weights so atrociously low, they don’t need to send them to the Assay Office and they no longer visit the mines, equaling no Middle Men, they are saving money left right and centre. Unless of course it’s a special ‘Coronation Hallmark ‘ when it’s just fine to use it as a USP and charge whatever they like.

They don't have to mention hallmarks - but they should tell you the weight of their metals. Hallmarks are a legal requirement for precious metals over these weights:

• gold 1 gram
  • silver 7.78 grams
  • platinum 0.5 gram
  • palladium 1 gram

Anything below those weights doesn't have to be hallmarked.

surely though an hallmarked piece of jewellery is more valuable ?

surely though an hallmarked piece of jewellery is more valuable ?
Most people probably don't realise that under a certain weight doesn't require a hallmark - so they probably assume that it's hallmarked. I think a lot of people automatically assume that All jewellery is hallmarked. I used to before I became interested in gemstones.

To get the hallmark, it would require extra gold weight to take it up to the qualifying weight and then the cost of paying the Assay office to hallmark it on top - so presumably those costs are more than the 'value' of what they think customers will pay just for having the hallmark.

Any gold pieces I’ve bought from TJC have been hallmarked, they just don’t make a song and dance about it. I can remember Steve Bennett waxing lyrical in the early days about the importance of a hallmark, the first instance of Consumer Protection. If keeping the weights so atrociously low, they don’t need to send them to the Assay Office and they no longer visit the mines, equaling no Middle Men, they are saving money left right and centre. Unless of course it’s a special ‘Coronation Hallmark ‘ when it’s just fine to use it as a USP and charge whatever they like.
Speaking of weights atrociously low, has anyone here seen the Greenland ruby ring with a gold weight of less than a gram (0.93g to be more precise)

thats how I always thought of it and their larger stuff must be hallmarked but I find strange never to mention it

Most people assume that jewellery is hallmarked - so they'll gladly let people carry on assuming that all their jewellery is hallmarked.

If they mention that jewellery over X weight is hallmarked, it'll raise attention to the fact that lower weight jewellery isn't hallmarked (and therefore give the impression to viewers that its inferior).

So, just like when they choose to 'ignore' treatments, it's misleading people by omission.

Illegal? No. Immoral? Yes.

the treatments one is just plain wrong ... it should be explained as to what they have had. It is deep misleading.

Got the point on hallmark now ...
Totally agree. They also need to explain what that treatment does - and not mislead with that too.

For example, they often say that "irradiation stabilises the colour" when selling Kunzite - but that simply isn't true. Irradiation CHANGES the colour of a stone.

They also say "it's had a little beat of heat" when referring to heat treatment. There is no such thing as a 'little bit of heat'. They make it sound like Dave Troth has had it under a candle out the back for half an hour. It's complete nonsense. Those things are heated at extreme temperatures of up to 1900°C!

Totally agree. They also need to explain what that treatment does - and not mislead with that too.

For example, they often say that "irradiation stabilises the colour" when selling Kunzite - but that simply isn't true. Irradiation CHANGES the colour of a stone.

They also say "it's had a little beat of heat" when referring to heat treatment. There is no such thing as a 'little bit of heat'. They make it sound like Dave Troth has had it under a candle out the back for half an hour. It's complete nonsense. Those things are heated at extreme temperatures of up to 1900°C!
yeah if you alter a stone at all thats changing it, fine makes it better to sell but it is not the real thing which would cost much more say same colour

yeah if you alter a stone at all thats changing it, fine makes it better to sell but it is not the real thing which would cost much more say same colour

Spot on. It annoys me when they start talking about the rarity of coloured diamonds and make out they've brought you something almost impossible to get hold of.

What they don't tell you is that their blue, red and green diamonds are irradiated - because that's pretty much the ONLY way people will get them.

Only 20 to 30 untreated red diamonds exist in the entire world. Gemporia don't tell people that part when they're trying to make out that they're irradiated diamonds as as rare as those.

Lindsey has just compared blue-dyed chalcedony to genuine gem silica material. :sick:
I wonder if she'd sell my little "gem silica" grade toad friend for me? 🤔🤣
20240210_123642.jpg

Latest posts

Back