Treatments - now clearer?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

In fairness to Gemporia, at least they disclose treatments, not like a certain other channel who disclose absolutely nothing. Apparently, everything they sell is perfect! šŸ¤”
I wonder how many viewers actually read all available information in the graphics while they're being whipped into a frenzy to get on the phone, the website or the app and buy, buy, buy!

Gemporia presenters and buyers hardly ever mention treatments while they're doing their "not for like" comparisons with priceless specimens sold at auction or being proudly exhibited in large and famous museums. They certainly don't mention them when they're bigging up a particular location or source.

So I wonder just how many buyers are surprised when their purchases arrive and they read the accompanying gem details in full.

Months later............

Everyone has gone home. The bride and groom have divorced. The dad has passed away from old age. The mum has grown a beard.......... Troth is still standing there, his suit starting to smell slightly musty, the left overs of the buffet has gone mouldy, the fish and chip demo sample have become fossilised.........
Jade wins. Flawless victory. Fatality.

jade-wins.gif

In fairness to Gemporia, at least they disclose treatments, not like a certain other channel who disclose absolutely nothing. Apparently, everything they sell is perfect! šŸ¤”

I suspect that Gemporia regret ever doing this - and I bet that if they could, they'd stop doing it tomorrow, in the knowledge that they seem to be getting more and more inferior quality stones than in previous years.

The problem is, it's too late for them to stop disclosing treatments now. If they stop disclosing them now, they'd have a lot of people questioning why they've stopped doing it and it would lead to further questions of "well what have you got to hide" at a time when trust is already very low amongst a lot of customers.

They can't use the excuse that untreated version of certain stones are unavailable now because other other retailers seem to be able to get them easily enough (such as GemSelect - they're constantly getting untreated supplies of stones like Lapis Lazuli, Amazonite, etc).

Personally, I am of the opinion that they're only buy so many treated stones because they are cheaper to buy (for them) - but they're not passing those savings onto customers (such as the filled Emeralds that have been on over the past few days, but sold for around the same prices as untreated or oiled Emeralds).

I wonder how many viewers actually read all available information in the graphics while they're being whipped into a frenzy to get on the phone, the website or the app and buy, buy, buy!
I suspect it depends on the presenter. If its someone like Hattie, she'll zap through things in seconds - whereas if Dave Troth is on, he waffles for so long, someone can read the on-screen graphics, an entire newspaper, pop down to their local 'Harvester' for a meal, go back home to read all 1440 pages of 'War and Peace' by Leo Tolstoy - and still have time to read the graphics of the first item for a second time to make doubly sure.

I suspect that Gemporia regret ever doing this - and I bet that if they could, they'd stop doing it tomorrow, in the knowledge that they seem to be getting more and more inferior quality stones than in previous years.

The problem is, it's too late for them to stop disclosing treatments now. If they stop disclosing them now, they'd have a lot of people questioning why they've stopped doing it and it would lead to further questions of "well what have you got to hide" at a time when trust is already very low amongst a lot of customers.

They can't use the excuse that untreated version of certain stones are unavailable now because other other retailers seem to be able to get them easily enough (such as GemSelect - they're constantly getting untreated supplies of stones like Lapis Lazuli, Amazonite, etc).

Personally, I am of the opinion that they're only buy so many treated stones because they are cheaper to buy (for them) - but they're not passing those savings onto customers (such as the filled Emeralds that have been on over the past few days, but sold for around the same prices as untreated or oiled Emeralds).
You're absolutely right. They're in a pickle now, & have no way out! šŸ˜‚

Yup, at time of writing they also have available in pre-order a freshwater cultured pearl necklace. In "more details" size is given in MM but also in carat weight. Dunno if that is legal or not - but it shows both.
Yeah that's allowed because the carat weight is just acting as a 'guide' - but when its JUST carat weight, its meaningless and not allowed.

Just found this too - which totally contradicts what Dave Troth said a day or two ago:

• The Gemmological Association of Great Britain (Gem-A) recommends that organic gems be sold by their dimensions (e.g., millimeters) rather than carat weight. This is because carat weight is primarily used for diamonds and other hard gemstones with consistent density, while organic gems can have varying densities and therefore their size may not directly correlate to their weight.

Oh dear. 8x8mm, 1.84g gold (average) and, yep, Irradiated. Yes, it was shown in the second segment of the scrolling text in the description screen object, but AAA? Really? Doesn't that utterly trash any meaningful use of this type of grading? Oh well šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Screenshot_2024-01-31-05-43-44-051.jpeg

A classic, very sadly.

1. Tucson phone camera update from Jake about the finer points of difference in tone of blue in strands of Lapis Lazuli. Talk of "investment" and "rare, high end ultramarine".

2. Stephanie then bigged this up further in the usual way ("we bought well", "we bought before the craze", "we pass on the savings", "can't believe the price", "Collector in outer Mongolia has bought two. Well done!").

Dyed. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø Fully declared, so that's ok...

I can, apparently, wear it with a white shirt and jeans in the summer. Hmmm. Better be a Ā£2 shirt number from Schein, then, so it doesn't matter if the neckline ends up looking like a 4th Form attempt at tie-dye.

(But it is the first time I have ever heard a presenter compare Gemporia to Amazon...)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-02-06-27-21-268.jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-02-02-06-27-21-268.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 24
Is it even hallmarked? In the UK it's not mandatory to hallmark gold items weighing less than 1 gram.
You just answered your own question. Guess why it's less than 1 gram ;)

Nothing screams out "we've got money problems" more than trying anything they can to minimise their expenses. No hallmark - no need to send it to the assay office.

You just answered your own question. Guess why it's less than 1 gram ;)

Nothing screams out "we've got money problems" more than trying anything they can to minimise their expenses. No hallmark - no need to send it to the assay office.

you seem very knowledgable but if I see gold especially on TJC they never mention hallmarks. Coming from Brum with an uncle who used to work in the JQ then hallmarks are key.

I see deals I may think are a steal but are they properly hallmarked as I would know it ?

you seem very knowledgable but if I see gold especially on TJC they never mention hallmarks. Coming from Brum with an uncle who used to work in the JQ then hallmarks are key.

I see deals I may think are a steal but are they properly hallmarked as I would know it ?

They don't have to mention hallmarks - but they should tell you the weight of their metals. Hallmarks are a legal requirement for precious metals over these weights:

• gold 1 gram
  • silver 7.78 grams
  • platinum 0.5 gram
  • palladium 1 gram

Anything below those weights doesn't have to be hallmarked.

They don't have to mention hallmarks - but they should tell you the weight of their metals. Hallmarks are a legal requirement for precious metals over these weights:

• gold 1 gram
  • silver 7.78 grams
  • platinum 0.5 gram
  • palladium 1 gram

Anything below those weights doesn't have to be hallmarked.
Polish law is a bit different. Hallmarks are compulsory for:

• gold items weighing 1 gram or more
  • silver items weighing 5 grams or more
  • platinum items weighing 1 gram or more

Hallmarking of palladium goods is voluntary.

Latest posts

Back