Umm I thought the presenters were wealthy?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

V

Vivalas

Guest Shopper
Just got the impression from reading posts here and the way some of them talk that they must do quite well.

Well Catherine's often saying about living in rent accommodation so I knew that, but on HRH's blog I read tonight that she had a problem and had to call her 'landlord' as she rents her home! I know she has a pad in Spain but surprised if she rents her home!! Maybe that not that well paid . . . . if the got negotiate a cut of the p&p they'd be millionaires :grin:

its a very strange phenomenon in this country that people who own their homes are considered higher up the wealth scale/social ladder than people who rent.
that's maggie thatcher for you.

in most european countries renting is the norm, and tenants get many more rights than they do here.

i often wonder why i bothered buying. i certainly dont want my estate to go to any family members when i pop it. when you take inheritance out of the equation what's the point?

Julia moved recently so maybe they are having to rent for a while till the place they are buying is ready.

Well Burlz I think that most people do want their estate to go to their families (of course like yourself there are exceptions.

I also think that home ownership gives people control over where they live and for how long. Renters are always subject to a landlord selling and them having to find a home elsewhere. You are also far more inclined to turn you're house into a home if its for you.

I wasn't implying social ladders etc just thought that someone like JR would value her own home.

Julia moved recently so maybe they are having to rent for a while till the place they are buying is ready.

Yep: she's had to slum it a bit in this tiny pile until the new place is ready:

linderhof-castle.jpg

Last edited:
Well Burlz I think that most people do want their estate to go to their families (of course like yourself there are exceptions.

I also think that home ownership gives people control over where they live and for how long. Renters are always subject to a landlord selling and them having to find a home elsewhere. You are also far more inclined to turn you're house into a home if its for you.

I wasn't implying social ladders etc just thought that someone like JR would value her own home.

youre right of course as far as the UK is concerned, but in many countries when a property changes hands the tenants maintain their right to stay. i think im right in saying that tenancy can also be passed down through families. thats what i meant about tenants getting more rights than they do here.

as for families i need to find a pet charity and make a will! :handshake:

youre right of course as far as the UK is concerned, but in many countries when a property changes hands the tenants maintain their right to stay. i think im right in saying that tenancy can also be passed down through families. thats what i meant about tenants getting more rights than they do here.

as for families i need to find a pet charity and make a will! :handshake:

Did someone watch that prog 'You can't take it with you'? :wink: Me thinks the sale of wills will be soaring around the country very soon. Now.... what pet charity can I leave my money to?!

i often wonder why i bothered buying. i certainly dont want my estate to go to any family members when i pop it. when you take inheritance out of the equation what's the point?
Release the equity later on and enjoy it Burlz. That's what I intend to do and what's left when I peg out will be left to various animal charities.
mysmilie_55.gif

Did someone watch that prog 'You can't take it with you'? :wink: Me thinks the sale of wills will be soaring around the country very soon. Now.... what pet charity can I leave my money to?!

leave it to the ericsmum charitable foundation for waif and stray cats.

(My Eric is always bringing home his little pals for a good feed, it costs me a fortune).

I saw that prog too, both couples were oddballs.

its a very strange phenomenon in this country that people who own their homes are considered higher up the wealth scale/social ladder than people who rent.
that's maggie thatcher for you.

in most european countries renting is the norm, and tenants get many more rights than they do here.

Having been mortgage free since October I am enjoying an extra £1,000 - yippeee we actually own lock stock and barrel our home. That's 1,000 reasons each month. The fact that my kids will inherit it is a bonus.

Franks must be loaded. I didn't watch Elemis yesterday but happened to turn over twice and each time I did, I heard her say "I've got this set in all of my bathrooms." She may have said it more often. Fair enough, some people have more than others but it does grate when you keep having it thrown at you like that. Why do they feel the need to constantly tell us? She could have just said she has the set and left it at that. Of course we know she has because she has everything! You don't hear the presenters on the "other side" doing this all the time; there are no over inflated egos there.

Franks must be loaded. I didn't watch Elemis yesterday but happened to turn over twice and each time I did, I heard her say "I've got this set in all of my bathrooms." She may have said it more often. Fair enough, some people have more than others but it does grate when you keep having it thrown at you like that. Why do they feel the need to constantly tell us? She could have just said she has the set and left it at that. Of course we know she has because she has everything! You don't hear the presenters on the "other side" doing this all the time; there are no over inflated egos there.

Maybe she isn't trying to show off - she is only stating a fact about having more than one bathroom and may not see herself as being insensitive.

I have more than some and less than others and when I talk about something it isn't necessarily to rub anyone's nose it it; it is purely because it is relevant to the subject.

I have friends that have vastly more than me and I don't take offence when they talk about their second homes etc - it's part of their lives so why shouldn't they say it?

Can't we just live and let live and not be so critcal of those that have more? JF seems to work hard so why can't she enjoy the spoils?

Having been mortgage free since October I am enjoying an extra £1,000 - yippeee we actually own lock stock and barrel our home. That's 1,000 reasons each month. The fact that my kids will inherit it is a bonus.

Your kids 'might' inherit.

My dad owned his own home and had a fair bit of savings but had to go into a home about 18 months ago due to his dementia which set in after my mum died. We are now spending £2500 a month to keep him there and it one of the most reasonable priced care homes in the area. By the end of this year we will have no savings left and will have to sell the house just to pay the bill. So any inheritance that I might have got will all be gone. The good thing is it is keeping him well looked after but the bad thing is there are people in the next rooms who had nothing and are being paid for by the State!!!

My dad owned his own home and had a fair bit of savings but had to go into a home about 18 months ago due to his dementia which set in after my mum died. We are now spending £2500 a month to keep him there and it one of the most reasonable priced care homes in the area. By the end of this year we will have no savings left and will have to sell the house just to pay the bill. So any inheritance that I might have got will all be gone. The good thing is it is keeping him well looked after but the bad thing is there are people in the next rooms who had nothing and are being paid for by the State!!!

i'm glad the people who had nothing are being looked after... there but for the grace of god etc... but the fact that your father must have worked and probably paid hundreds of thousands in tax and national insurance into the system over the years should qualify him for free care in his twilight years, or at least some kind of contribution from the state. its grossly unfair.

Having at the very least two homes one in this country and one in USA she will have bathrooms, rather than a bathroom.

Maybe she isn't trying to show off - she is only stating a fact about having more than one bathroom and may not see herself as being insensitive.

I have more than some and less than others and when I talk about something it isn't necessarily to rub anyone's nose it it; it is purely because it is relevant to the subject.

I have friends that have vastly more than me and I don't take offence when they talk about their second homes etc - it's part of their lives so why shouldn't they say it?

Can't we just live and let live and not be so critcal of those that have more? JF seems to work hard so why can't she enjoy the spoils?

I agree with most of your post, even the fact that JF is raking it in but I'd argue about it's because she is working 'hard'...working lots, yes. She never seems to be off for long. Give someonelse a turn for Gawd's sake, and give your lungs (and my ears) a rest. woman!

That's a fair point but, as far as I'm concerned, her choice of words is utter pretentiousness. You don't have to be loaded to have more than one bathroom. I have two at home, so that proves that point, but I don't go around pointing things out to people and saying things along the lines of "I have that in both of my bathrooms." It just makes it obvious that you want to emphasise that point. She could have more bathrooms than brain cells and I wouldn't care less, but I hate the showing off.

Dear rosey, I know exactly how you are feeling. Both my parents worked very hard all of their lives. My dear dad served six years in the Royal Navy during WW2 and then afterwards worked all over the country on power stations, cooling towers and bridges. He worked up until six weeks before he died, and got nothing from the state. My dear mum suffered from dementia and spent the last two years of her life in a nursing home. All of my parents hard earned savings went in the first year of her stay there. When all that was gone we were approached about selling her home. It was a very heart wrenching and emotional time, and it took it's toll on me and my husband, trying to fight it. It made matters worse, when, as you mentioned, other residents who hadn't any savings were getting everything my dear mum was having to pay for, right down to her hand wash. The warden would go down to Matalan and M&S every week and come back with bags full of underwear, sleepwear, clothing, and toiletries.

I know this may sound cruel. But in a way I was glad that my dear mum wasn't aware of what was going on, as this would have really upset her.

I'm sorry if this sounds mean. But why should people be treated like this for working hard all of their lives and saving their hard earned money, when others get it all for nothing? It sickens me.

Dear rosey, I know exactly how you are feeling. Both my parents worked very hard all of their lives. My dear dad served six years in the Royal Navy during WW2 and then afterwards worked all over the country on power stations, cooling towers and bridges. He worked up until six weeks before he died, and got nothing from the state. My dear mum suffered from dementia and spent the last two years of her life in a nursing home. All of my parents hard earned savings went in the first year of her stay there. When all that was gone we were approached about selling her home. It was a very heart wrenching and emotional time, and it took it's toll on me and my husband, trying to fight it. It made matters worse, when, as you mentioned, other residents who hadn't any savings were getting everything my dear mum was having to pay for, right down to her hand wash. The warden would go down to Matalan and M&S every week and come back with bags full of underwear, sleepwear, clothing, and toiletries.

I know this may sound cruel. But in a way I was glad that my dear mum wasn't aware of what was going on, as this would have really upset her.

I'm sorry if this sounds mean. But why should people be treated like this for working hard all of their lives and saving their hard earned money, when others get it all for nothing? It sickens me.
I feel for you Maria. This heartbreaking scenario happens all the time in England and it truly is sickening and forcing people to sell their homes should be stopped. :angry: I believe residential care is free for anyone who needs it in Scotland (please correct me if I'm wrong) so why can it be made available there and not south of the border?? This is why I am determined to use the equity in my house whilst I am still young enough to benefit from it and if the day comes when I need care then the State can provide it. I've paid taxes since I was 16 and as far as I'm concerned I am entitled.

Latest posts

Back