Viorelli

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It does appear to be that way. Just looked in today but as I can no longer watch any of Gems presenters. It was a quick visit which is a shame like you and lots of people I enjoyed watching. I did see he was selling one of those skin gadgets but I think he's slow to this market so many out there already and on Amazon where they are really cheap. I was hoping gems would make some kind of recovery with Steve's help but I think he's moved on now. Shame......

But then when channels start to go down the "lets sell a bit of everything" route, their competitor becomes Amazon - and the likes of TJC, Gemporia, etc will never compete with them either.

There's no reason why Gemporia can't survive as solely a Jewellery channel still - but not in its current form. They really need to go back to basics - create nice designs again, stick to Silver, Gold or Platinum without the tacky 'tone' junk, offer good quality jewellery, at reasonable prices (where there's profit to be made but without blatantly taking customers for mugs), cut out the dubious sales tactics and just let the products sell themselves without the waffle and BS.

Most importantly, just be content with a website and two channels. Their downfall in the past has been wasting money trying out short-sighted projects and getting a bit too big for their boots. Stop attempting world domination by setting up other channels abroad. Stop trying to flog jewellery in Virgin Atlantic flight brochures. Stop trying to flog jewellery in shops like their ill-fated attempt before. Stop wasting money on vanity projects like studio revamps and on-air graphics. I've lost count of how many revamped studios Jewellery Maker and Gem Collector have had - in addition to studio sets being created for The Lounge, Diamond Room and Rocks TV, only for them to close those channels down again.

Even when their business was healthy, they didn't seem content with just making a profit. They seemed to want to branch out with overseas channels and other sales outlets. Then when it all backfired, Steve seemed to lose interest.

They started their own decline needlessly in my opinion by trying to grow too quickly, too fast - and then their bread and butter UK channels and customer service started suffering in addition to the 'new' channels being unsuccessful.

Get your main bread and butter part of the business 100% right before attempting world domination with everything running at 60%.

I don't think for one minute TJC think they have a chance in hell in competing with Amazon (very few do) what they have done which is clever is make the website look a little alike, introduce a delivery service like Prime (they often refer on air it is like Amazon)

Not that TJC is Pepsi to Amazon's Coke but the old premise remains the companies underneath the number 1 can always refer to the number 1 and not the other way round.

Why do TJC sell thousands of items a day the majority of which you can get cheaper on Amazon or very rarely slightly higher (and delivered quicker)? Because they have created a good community with the viewers they read good and bad feedback on air don't pretend they are always correct and interact with the customers nearly every hour of the day (and night)

I highly doubt the people buying from TJC are unaware of Amazon but plenty of people A, don't agree with Amazon and some of the very questionable methods and/or are happy to pay the same or slightly more in exchange for an entertaining and fun TV show and at times a 2-way correspondence.

You can take the above even further a high % of items on Amazon you can buy as a consumer direct from Alibaba and similar sites for a fraction of the trading price even on Amazon. Why do most people not do that? Price is not everything if it was shopping Tv would be completely dead years ago.

I don't think for a minute TJC wanted to go away from just jewellery (in fact various guests have spoken on air that if they still could they would love to sell the high-end pieces 24/7) but as they diversified they have only got busier and busier and the range of products has got wider.

Based on the feedback on here do Gems have the customer loyalty and trust at the moment to do that? It doesn't look likely but they are giving it a go.

I don't think for one minute TJC think they have a chance in hell in competing with Amazon (very few do) what they have done which is clever is make the website look a little alike, introduce a delivery service like Prime (they often refer on air it is like Amazon)

Not that TJC is Pepsi to Amazon's Coke but the old premise remains the companies underneath the number 1 can always refer to the number 1 and not the other way round.

Why do TJC sell thousands of items a day the majority of which you can get cheaper on Amazon or very rarely slightly higher (and delivered quicker)? Because they have created a good community with the viewers they read good and bad feedback on air don't pretend they are always correct and interact with the customers nearly every hour of the day (and night)

I highly doubt the people buying from TJC are unaware of Amazon but plenty of people A, don't agree with Amazon and some of the very questionable methods and/or are happy to pay the same or slightly more in exchange for an entertaining and fun TV show and at times a 2-way correspondence.

You can take the above even further a high % of items on Amazon you can buy as a consumer direct from Alibaba and similar sites for a fraction of the trading price even on Amazon. Why do most people not do that? Price is not everything.

I don't think for a minute TJC wanted to go away from just jewellery (in fact various guests have spoken on air that if they still could they would love to sell the high-end pieces 24/7) but as they diversified they have only got busier and busier and the range of products has got wider.
I agree.

And unlike Gemporia, TJC have a far more flexible business model. If something isn't selling, TJC will park it and move on to something else. TJC presenters will even canvass their audience to see what they're looking for instead. And we've all seen presenters merrily continue showing an item for as long as is needed if it's proving to be especially popular with the viewers.

But look at Gemporia: wall-to-wall jade and naff gold tone, with brain-numbing lecture after lecture from the buyers, and presenters who get annoyed and defensive if the viewers dare to question Gemporia's stock and presentation decisions.

TJC seems to be able to gauge what their customers are interested in, and can switch to different categories of products when necessary. With Gemporia, you get what you're given, and if you don't like it then it's tough. Also, you're very, very wrong for not liking what they're showing you.

Also, shopping is less stressful with TJC because items don't sell out before they come to screen as they aren't stuck on pre-order three hours before their supposed on-air presentations

I agree.

And unlike Gemporia, TJC have a far more flexible business model. If something isn't selling, TJC will park it and move on to something else. TJC presenters will even canvass their audience to see what they're looking for instead. And we've all seen presenters merrily continue showing an item for as long as is needed if it's proving to be especially popular with the viewers.

But look at Gemporia: wall-to-wall jade and naff gold tone, with brain-numbing lecture after lecture from the buyers, and presenters who get annoyed and defensive if the viewers dare to question Gemporia's stock and presentation decisions.

TJC seems to be able to gauge what their customers are interested in, and can switch to different categories of products when necessary. With Gemporia, you get what you're given, and if you don't like it then it's tough. Also, you're very, very wrong for not liking what they're showing you.

Also, shopping is less stressful with TJC because items don't sell out before they come to screen as they aren't stuck on pre-order three hours before their supposed on-air presentations

It is chalk and cheese I should have mentioned what you did the flexibility is the one massive edge TJC seems to have over any other channel.

It seems so obvious but if someone isn't selling they don't sit on it for an hour they either chop the price a lot and try and sell the lot or move on.

Again this has no doubt alienated some customers (especially high-end collectors) with even days that have been advertised for days changing on the day or even the hour.

You can't please everybody whatever way you go but it needs to make business sense first and foremost

I agree.

For me the biggest draw to TJC has to be budget pay. They offer it on the majority of items even the lower priced ones. I rarely make large purchases anymore but for the lower end purchase price having budget pay makes me more likely to buy from them.

For me the biggest draw to TJC has to be budget pay. They offer it on the majority of items even the lower priced ones. I rarely make large purchases anymore but for the lower end purchase price having budget pay makes me more likely to buy from them.
Budget pay on the less expensive items also means that people are probably going to buy more products ather than buy one or two things that are within their budgets.

You can take the above even further a high % of items on Amazon you can buy as a consumer direct from Alibaba and similar sites for a fraction of the trading price even on Amazon. Why do most people not do that? Price is not everything if it was shopping Tv would be completely dead years ago.

Based on the feedback on here do Gems have the customer loyalty and trust at the moment to do that? It doesn't look likely but they are giving it a go.
wondered where you had got to! I agree with all the above apart from loyalty to Gems! I no longer use them just peek in a few times but can't stand the presenters and feel Steve has jumped ship.

wondered where you had got to! I agree with all the above apart from loyalty to Gems! I no longer use them just peek in a few times but can't stand the presenters and feel Steve has jumped ship.
haha! I tried to take a day away from the forum and shopping tv but it always lures me back :)

I am sure some of the Gems regulars will buy anything but will it be enough?

haha! I tried to take a day away from the forum and shopping tv but it always lures me back :)

I am sure some of the Gems regulars will buy anything but will it be enough?
Not for me! I value my sanity and the presenters are a threat to that! There are two on tjc which have me racing for the remote control!

I'm not in the office today so checked in on what Steve is flogging - a giant light therapy dome that looks like your own personal MRI machine. Hmm, not sure the phone lines will be going ballistic for those, but who knows...!

I'm not in the office today so checked in on what Steve is flogging - a giant light therapy dome that looks like your own personal MRI machine. Hmm, not sure the phone lines will be going ballistic for those, but who knows...!
TJC have a similar device which they shift for £1600, £20k direct from Opatra ! Steve has spotted another bandwagon to jump on!!!

I'm sure Steve's hair was a different colour when he was on the other day too, if it anti-ages hair as well as skin, I reckon I will get one!
I thought his hair looked less grey today, obviously makes him look a little younger and may be due to the big light ball.....but he's not mentioned it haha......hasn't done much for his face though 🤔

He said you can take it away in your suitcase....honestly!! What are you going to wear? 😅

I'm sure Steve's hair was a different colour when he was on the other day too, if it anti-ages hair as well as skin, I reckon I will get one!

I can confirm that Gemporia products do change hair colour.

Since Dave Troth has been giving 40 minute lectures before Jadeite sales, my hair has turned from black to grey.

I saw on the FB group that his odd hair colour was the result of an attempt to produce a hair colour kit - I didn't hear him say that as I switched on late. At least he tries out this stuff before he unleashes it on us I guess!

Latest posts

Back