Vitamix TSV 22/11/14

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

If anyone has a Costco card,or a friend with one.
From next Monday they have the Blendtec on offer,one jar,£240.
I have the 2 jars but not really necessary.

I often wonder regarding heating up via vitamix, surely it would be cheaper regarding electricity, and quieter, to put the whizzed up liquid in the microwave or on the hob for 3 minutes?

I also wonder:

The running motor without the noise reducing hoods must be incredibly loud

Maybe the reason why they promote liquid dishes is maybe if the raw veg was left bitty or chunky, and eaten that way (after heating in micro) half an hour later, it will make a sharp exit, straight out of your digestive system (won't elaborate)

There must be a reason why people 'normally' peel, top & tail veg, skin onions and garlic, rather than crunching it down and then consuming it.

Needless to say, I don't own one (slap my wrists for being critical without experience) I don't plan on buying one, simply because it seems a little loud for me, and I am not keen that the blade is fixed - must be a nightmare to dry after washing - maybe sticking a microfibre cloth in the device and whacking up to 10 might work :mysmilie_17:

What will JF say if shes presenting the MagiMix TSV in December? Probably the same .. the MagiMix is all you need, after all, she cannot live without her Vitamix!

It just looks so old fashioned doesn't it? There's retro, and then there's bulky and ugly.

Grant it it is a good machine but for me I cannot justify the price .Maybe if the kids were at home and would get used a lot I would maybe consider it but not now.

Have to agree with the rest of you - I'm normally a sucker for a kitchen gadget - my family say I need my own separate feed from the national grid for all the ones I have, but this just doesn't appeal to me a all. Nothing they've produced in bye presentation (I'm just watching the morning repeat now) is something that I'd want to make that I can't already do.
And yes I agree it's ugly. And if Franks says 'Oh wow' once more I may explode.

I'll admit the presentations can be seducing, and if you cook for a family, then all the desserts, ice creams etc as well as the smoothies, and crunching, beating and hot souping making "could' make this worthwhile I suppose, BUT I wonder if this is a gadget that would REALLY get used everyday. I live on my own, and the thought of drinking 'healthy' green smoothies would cost me a lot in veggies, so I'll stick to my healthy cuppa tea, and heat my soup up the old fashioned way - saucepan on top of the cooker !!!! At that price all the ummmmming and aaaaarrrrring in the world by the presenters wouldn't make me buy it, and no doubt they have got staff discount to buy theirs anyway.

to be fair i am still in shock Jill ate the chocolate covered marshmallow!!

Did she really???
:mysmilie_13:

Jill, can just about mentally get away with just the one.
Two might, imo, action 2 hrs treadmill.

Sure Jill is 'fitness-crazed' but she's also seems to be a 'foodie-phobic'

Did she say she was a 'nutritionist' or 'nutritional adviser' away from QVC?

Hmmm.

I'll admit the presentations can be seducing, and if you cook for a family, then all the desserts, ice creams etc as well as the smoothies, and crunching, beating and hot souping making "could' make this worthwhile I suppose, BUT I wonder if this is a gadget that would REALLY get used everyday. I live on my own, and the thought of drinking 'healthy' green smoothies would cost me a lot in veggies, so I'll stick to my healthy cuppa tea, and heat my soup up the old fashioned way - saucepan on top of the cooker !!!! At that price all the ummmmming and aaaaarrrrring in the world by the presenters wouldn't make me buy it, and no doubt they have got staff discount to buy theirs anyway.

Hey Brissles - all that healthy whizzed up high fibre veg, living alone IS an advantage! ;O)

Saucepan - Good for you! I'm with you on that.
My mother said to me 'I will not let your Dad boss me into using that damn microwave! For 58 years I've heated his soup in a saucepan on the cooker, and I'm not going to change' (at this point Dad ruffled his newspaper and moaned to himself, because he knows, when shes made her mind up...)

I use the vitamix a fair amount. I cook the soup on the cooker first though. I really like it. I bought it from QVC around 18 months ago and it has already been back to the factory as the jug developed tiny cracks. Turned out the drive bit thingy was worn. So they picked it up and it was returned with a new jug with a nice silicone handle.
Things just dont seem to last. A DAB radio from John Lewis has lasted just a year with really light use. They gave me my money back but I wanted a replacement really as it has gone up £5. Why should I pay £5 more instead of having a replacement. My current radio are about £18 years old and they don't cost me £5 a year which is what the JL customer service person told me as though it was a benefit.

Just sent mine back today.

Far too loud.

Also, although it HEATS soup up in 5 minutes, it doesn't actually COOK it!

Therefore I had to boil potatoes etc before putting into the machine, so the heating was not needed and I had pans to clean as well as the blender.

And it is NOT as easy to clean as they say, if you have used any greasy or starchy ingredients, and difficult to clean the blades. The jug is also very tall, so difficult to get under the tap to rinse.

There is some leakage through the top, which resulted in me scalding my hand. Also, the top is very difficult and tight to remove, it really needs 3 hands.

It is vastly overpriced, I may buy a soup maker instead now.

Companies do regular staff promotions, for sales personnel, such as offering a product they sell daily at a special price. Whether shopping telly presenters are included in this, I don't know. Colleague discount is usually 10% but, again, this could differ in the world of tv shopping. Even with a saving of 10%, you are still paying for a £400 machine. When it first came out, I bought the magic bullet from QVC, with the two large and small containers, the two blades, an four cups, with coloured rings and lids, all for under £30. I sell the nutri bullet for under £100, and not as many accessories are included. The nutri bullet, by magic bullet, is the same thing by the same company. It is a remarkably powerful machine and at a bagain price.

I bought the Omniblend for £240 on an Ideal World special promotion a few months back and we use it every day. The price is now £349 but no way would I pay that. OH splashed out on a Ninja recently for around £74 incl p&p and for small quantities that would be okay for soups and smoothies, but I don't know if it would do thicker mixtures without added liquid. It's very new to us and I wouldn't have bought it as well as the Omniblend, but there you go. It's the thought that counts. It's also quite a lot louder than the Omniblend and the blades are very sharp, unlike the Omniblend. In our house OH now has to prove its worth by using it, while I can still do my healthy puds in the Omniblend.

Latest posts

Back