What has happened to Sleeves?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I love sleeveless clothes - my arms aren't the best and yes I am overweight, but if I'm hot my cardigan comes off - if other people don't like the look of my arms then they can turn away, but I am not going to suffer being hot for the sake of vanity.
I am what I am and I look like what I look like - you have to try and be happy with the body you have - I do always cover my tummy and legs though, unless on a hot beach abroad !!
I think people should be a bit more happier with the body we have - we are all different shapes and sizes, life would be boring if we were all a size 8 !!

I think some elbows , (even of those lovely models on the Q) look wrinkly and not so nice to see and they are best covered.
I dislike those up to the elbow because they bring attention to the elbows. Yesterday Julia has a red Yong Kim with elbow length sleeved dress and it looked awful on her:doh:
I like sleeves on clothes and if they do not have them, I wear a shrug. I have shrugs of all kind of colours .
Long sleeves give us the choice of pushing them up or leaving them as they are and people who think they have good elbows can fold them up to where they want.

I'm glad you like shrugs - personally I don't. Each to their own, and I'm also guessing both the posters above me, are much younger than me.

Tinkywinky - I don't give a jot what people think of me, so that's not why I dislike sleeveless clothes, it's a personal thing, just like yours is your personal thing.

Most women do prefer a sleeve, I'm not talking about long sleeves, but short ones. What bothers me is not sleeveless dresses in the main as some people like them and look good in them, it is not have the choice to buy a sleeveless dress and one with short sleeves - for me it is as simple as that. Heaven knows companies make huge profits, as do designers. What I hate more than any of this, is that it's all done with cheap labour in the main, as so much is made in China which bothers me greatly, if I have a choice, I will not buy something made in China, so for those who argue that it costs a designer more to put sleeves into a garment, i.e. extra material - the latter I agree with, but hey it's all made in China, they can well afford to give those who want a sleeve, a sleeve!!

I am afraid that 'Sleeves' have been cut as part of the austerity measures, you will now need a permit for a sleeve by filling in a means tested application, and that is just for one sleeve! Trouser pockets are to follow shortly.:mysmilie_17:

Re: the embellishments round the neckline of items, I think they look awful, and put me off buying the garment, not at all sure why this is a new trend.

Well, I don't care what I look like today. It's hot and stuffy, I'm sweaty, so it's a floaty floral skirt (£2 off ebay) and a Sainsburys vest top from several years ago. And no shoes until I go out. I'm worth every penny of it.

I suspect no one is wearing shape-wear today either, inspite of Janey (slim n lump) or Carla (Varicella Vita) claiming to won't make you sweaty even on a hot day!

On a hot day like today don't worry about my arms and legs or whatever...just peel off the layers and keep cool. :sun::whew:

I think you all know perfectly well that I began this topic because I dislike sleeveless dresses in particular. When we travel abroad which thankfully I no longer do, or when we stay here and have a so-called 'heatwave' of course wearing sleeveless in biological terms helps cool the body, so even I will wear sleeveless as I am today, despite being warm it is not as warm in my neck of the woods as it is in some parts of the UK but it is oh so muggy and it's really the humidity that goes for me.

In general terms, summer or winter, we do not need to only be offered sleeveless clothing, I don't care what the designer says or his/her worth, give us sleeves every time.

I don't know why thatu felt it necessary to throw in 'I'm worth every penny of it', I don't see the relevance, particularly since you said you were wearing a £2 skirt from ebay!!!

I'm worth every penny of what I spend on clothing, because I have standards, and I look well made, well cut clothing, whether I am a size 12 or a size 22 I want the choice.

On the topic of summer, we are not at all used to temperatures as seen now and in the recent past, but the temperatures are it seems, getting warmer year by year. My friends in the USA don't understand why we don't have air-con, and I try to explain to them, much as we would enjoy the comfort it brings in our hottest days, that there is in general, no need for it in this climate, although I am thinking of putting it in.

I don't know why thatu felt it necessary to throw in 'I'm worth every penny of it', I don't see the relevance, particularly since you said you were wearing a £2 skirt from ebay!!!

And I do know why ohnonotshoppingagain felt it necessary to throw in that comment. It's all to do witha sense of humour, or whatever else he or she didn't have when they made that comment. Lighten up, for goodness sake. Nobody is saying you're not worth spending £x,000 on. I couldn't care less how much you spend on clothes, as long as you like them, I couldn't care less what your opinion of yourself or me is, so my comment was tongue in cheek because I'm obviously worth more than the few pounds that that outfit cost me. Normally people making a comment like "I'm worth it" refer to a helluva lot more money than my outfit cost, so please, don't take everything literally and do try to see the lighter side of life now and again. You don't like sleeveless dresses, and whether I do or not isn't important.

Why am I even bothering to try to explain irony to someone who doesn't appreciate it?

Precisely you don't have to explain, I got it from the first, and I do have a terrific sense of humour incidentally, and I stand by what I said. You don't have to justify yourself (or me) to anyone - be happy.

Latest posts

Back