What phrases annoy you most?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I meant AB - sorry, I am getting typing dyslexia! thats the trouble with me, i type quicker than my brain can think!! lol. Also yesterday, heard someone mentioning something about an item being pricier! i have looked up said word in the theasaurus, and its not listed! lol xxx

Sorry to have to break this to you PG but "pricier" is in the dictionary. A thesaurus is only a guide for alternative words and is very limited, and not to be relied on for correct vocabulary and grammar. The word is however listed as "informal" in the dictionary, so doesn't have a good pedigree - lol. I'd not thought about it before your post and have probably used it myself (sorry) so being a language lover had to have a peak. xxxxxxxx

Sorry to have to break this to you PG but "pricier" is in the dictionary. A thesaurus is only a guide for alternative words and is very limited, and not to be relied on for correct vocabulary and grammar. The word is however listed as "informal" in the dictionary, so doesn't have a good pedigree - lol. I'd not thought about it before your post and have probably used it myself (sorry) so being a language lover had to have a peak. xxxxxxxx

AB, that serves me right! lol, it just didnt sound right when it was said. I dont know what is up with me lately! shouldnt just rely on the laptop theasaurus! lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:wink2::happy:

AB, that serves me right! lol, it just didnt sound right when it was said. I dont know what is up with me lately! shouldnt just rely on the laptop theasaurus! lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:wink2::happy:

You're right there PG a very strange sounding word. Now if it had been "more pricier" you might have had a winning ticket - lol. :thinking2: xxxxxxx

whenever an item is shown.... "there is already so much interest on the phone"
B@llocks! The game ends and not all items are sold.
We have never gone so low on xxx stone as today
B@ollocks 2!
When they open the box and every time you have to hear: Ohhhhh, boootiful! Like they see a 10kt pink diamond and in the box is a MOP turtle pendant
There are already collectors on the line: It reminds me of stamp collectors lol.

I wanted to mention something which really annoys me (and my mother) when they say there are 20 in the game, what game. A game is something you play surely. If I worked at gems I just couldn't say it myself I think its just stupid.

Stick your games...

It annoys me too..I am not a player, I haven't entered a competition, therefore I am not a winner or a loser, I am a customer. A customer who can choose when and where to spend her money. So take note jewellery channels..The more you hype up your 'games' the more you put some people off..its naff and cheapens your products.

"Buy into" - I've heard this a lot in the last hour and is now the cause of me about to do my chores so not all bad. This relates to share dealing and its usage in the context of making a purchase of a piece of jewellery is ridiculous and just plain silly, unless of course we are getting shares with our gems? I do wish certain presenters would stop trying to be "clever" and learn a decent vocabulary rather than just grabbing phrases out of the air that they like the sound of. That's better! xxx

Not just on the jewellery channels.....but I hate it when they say "STOP THE MUSIC" to emphasise the low price something has dropped to!

"No!, this must be a mistake"...let me just contact the gallery"....No, I've just heard this is the price!

"Mum, if you're watching, can you order me one of these?"....."No, I'm serious!"

"Oooooh, this is very regal looking (cheapo amethyst ring)"

"Pure gold" - this is I'm sure not a deliberate attempt to deceive but used as an emphasis. However it is completely incorrect and very naughty. Also "solid gold". xxx

Not just on the jewellery channels.....but I hate it when they say "STOP THE MUSIC" to emphasise the low price something has dropped to!

"No!, this must be a mistake"...let me just contact the gallery"....No, I've just heard this is the price!

"Mum, if you're watching, can you order me one of these?"....."No, I'm serious!"

The real root of our loathing of these phrases is that they are quite simply knackered, and say more about the unimaginative contempt in which we are held by presenters. That we are expected to believe or tolerate all this guff is insulting to say the least.

I really think it's time all shopping channels reconsidered their presenting methods. As this is no longer a new selling method, the audience is much more savvy. Wouldn't it be refreshing for a presenter to come along and just say this is what it is, this is what it is made of, this is what you may see better at home (in truth), and this is how much it costs (as and when a change occurs as in dropping prices), with a laugh along the way. Most of us are shopping by this method because it's easier and more comfortable for a variety of reasons, and will remain as customers unless chased off by bad presentation, a drop in product standards or overly increasing prices. xxx

I agree with all of the above...I haven't watched gems for a while but the one thing that used to get on my nerves along with all the other stuff was the reminding us that
" This (please feel free to insert any gem that is blue here...) looks just like lady Diana's engagement ring"
ummmmm does it really? me thinks not! :)

It's a shame all the posts have come under the Gems TV section because they're applicable to all 3 channels although mainly Rocks & Co and Gems. Actually come to think of it - it's not really a shame because most of them actually apply to Gems so I'll just shut up now!

Anyway, one of the most stupid things I've heard presenters say (mainly on Gems I have to say) is when they have a diamond ring coming up and they say "Do your homework now. Look up 0.50 carat diamond ring on the internet and see what the High Street are charging". They haven't told you what the colour or clarity of their ring is but they expect you to compare prices on the internet! I think they're hoping that you see the prices for VS diamonds, E colour and think you're getting a fabulous bargain when theirs is so much cheaper. What a lot of people won't have a clue about is that the one the tv channel are selling is probably I2 and K/L colour!!! Why aren't they just honest about it and tell people to compare like for like - they'll probably still come out cheaper than the High Street anyway so surely it's better to be honest than to deliberately mislead?

Merryone - i totally agree with you on that one! as if stopping the music is going to grab us by the short and curlies even further! besides which I hate that music! whem gemstv2 was running, the music used to have like a little sleigh bell running through, used to drive me m A d i tells ya! lol.

just thought of a few more (hey, i am on a roll now! lol) Uber! that word really does chaff me up the wrong way! "Oh we are going so UBER low on this one" "We are having an UBER sale!" arrrrrrrgh! and then we have the "oh this is so Tiffanyesque (i assume thats how its spelt! lol) this is so art deco-esque, this is chanel-esque, art noveau-esque! so many esque's, (or is it esk??) I donot know, all i do know, its tres annoying! lol xx

Latest posts

Back