Where are Debbie Greenwood & Julian Ballantyne?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Either can be used, however one is more correct than the other. The reason for this is that "gardening leave" implies that the time is given for employees to pursue non work-related activity (such as gardening) and "garden leave" more accurately describes the situation - i.e that they are still connected with the "house" (on the payroll / in contract) but are not "in" the house (they are not welcome or are slightly outside of the main goings on) hence they are in the garden, and on "garden leave" and not "gardening leave." Of course they may do some gardening while they are in the garden, and they may not" There are some subtle nuances that make the two terms different. They are certainly not synonymous with each other!

It's amazing how the word garden can create such enthusiasm on a topic :)

Adviser or advisor eh?

Cream on top of jam, or jam on top of cream?

Scone or scone? (Second one is pronounced scon)

Many things we could debate :heart:

It's always been "garden leave" to me, but my husband calls it "gardening leave" which always sounds odd to me.

What a load of rubbish. This thread has become silly in the extreme. Who the hell cares what sort of leave they are on, surely it is no ones business wether they are in the ****** garden or anywhere else. It's all conjecture and supposition.

As regards to the Presenters, some may well be salaried or contracted, but more likely they are self employed and freelance if they have other income outlets. The Inland Revenue will not let them be self employed if Q is there only source of income (or almost all their income). It all changed a few years ago because of tradesmen. If however they have different forms of income they will undoubtedly be self employed.

Advantage - tax efficiency! Disadvantage - easier to be got rid of!

They could of course be registered as a Limited Company which is what I'd imagine they are.

It's amazing how the word garden can create such enthusiasm on a topic :)

Adviser or advisor eh?

Cream on top of jam, or jam on top of cream?

Scone or scone? (Second one is pronounced scon)

Many things we could debate :heart:

Don't get me started on those! ;-) :cheeky: I'm a stickler for things being the right way, but only if there's a definitive answer. On the bright side, it's taken the focus off Debbie, Julian and the QVC are-they-or-aren't-they saga for 5 minutes. And that can't be a bad thing!:happy

What a load of rubbish. This thread has become silly in the extreme. Who the hell cares what sort of leave they are on, surely it is no ones business wether they are in the ****** garden or anywhere else. It's all conjecture and supposition.

That was, kind of, my point! I only mentioned the garden/gardening debate because there really is no answer and so no-one should be made to feel they have done something wrong when they haven't. But you're right. Way off topic. And a topic which is, as I have said a number of times, rather pointless since we know nothing other than that we don't know anything! And I, for one, am certainly not wasting any more time on it.
In fact, I've deleted one of my posts on the subject, but am unable to do so with the others since someone has commented on them (I think).

Last edited:
That was, kind of, my point! I only mentioned the garden/gardening debate because there really is no answer and so no-one should be made to feel they have done something wrong when they haven't. But you're right. Way off topic. And a topic which is, as I have said a number of times, rather pointless since we know nothing other than that we don't know anything! And I, for one, am certainly not wasting any more time on it.
In fact, I've deleted one of my posts on the subject, but am unable to do so with the others since someone has commented on them (I think).

I tried to click LIKE on your deleted post, because I liked the reason you gave for deleting it, but I couldn't find the LIKE button (because the post had been deleted lol)

As regards to the Presenters, some may well be salaried or contracted, but more likely they are self employed and freelance if they have other income outlets. The Inland Revenue will not let them be self employed if Q is there only source of income (or almost all their income). It all changed a few years ago because of tradesmen. If however they have different forms of income they will undoubtedly be self employed.

Advantage - tax efficiency! Disadvantage - easier to be got rid of!

They could of course be registered as a Limited Company which is what I'd imagine they are.

Big Dave, I am a foster carer and we are only allowed to be registered with one agency but we are treated as self -employed by HMRC

Betty we were just discussing two variants of a phrase commonly used in the world of HR and employment. I guess as someone that has worked in translation for some time I get very into the nuances and subtle differences between certain words and phrases. "Gardening leave" is 1) more American English and 2) more positive and suggestive of compassionate leave. "Garden leave" is more British English and indicative of a company's willingness to distance themself from an employee or a situation pertaining that employee. I am fairly sure that were indeed the reasons surrounding Greenwood and Ballantyne's departure more positive there would be less of a silence / cover-up. The general circumstances and geographical location of QVC (UK) mean that "garden leave" is more suitable than "gardening leave." Both variants of the phrase are slightly odd anyway, however one is more suitable than the other! Furthermore the whole thread has been largely conjecture and supposition due to the lack of any official announcement or even acknowledgement of the absence of two long-serving presenters from our screens. QVC try to project a family image however their actions smack of a corporate cover-up. This is a discussion thread and people are quite within their rights to discuss it!

Last edited:
Interesting to see Anna and Carmel are now removed from QVC presenter's blogs page now but Debbie and Julian are still there. Just saying.

Can't help wonder just how long QVC are going to pretend nothing is going on!!! They going to keep the blogs there even if Debbie or Julian appear working elsewhere???

I have this vision of twenty years from now they will still be there. People will say, "Oh, I remember them. Whatever happened to them?" People keep asking on the FB page with no reply.

bet QVC are loving this - people tuning in to see if DG or JB are on and then maybe buying stuff !

Betty we were just discussing two variants of a phrase commonly used in the world of HR and employment. I guess as someone that has worked in translation for some time I get very into the nuances and subtle differences between certain words and phrases. "Gardening leave" is 1) more American English and 2) more positive and suggestive of compassionate leave. "Garden leave" is more British English and indicative of a company's willingness to distance themself from an employee or a situation pertaining that employee. I am fairly sure that were indeed the reasons surrounding Greenwood and Ballantyne's departure more positive there would be less of a silence / cover-up. The general circumstances and geographical location of QVC (UK) mean that "garden leave" is more suitable than "gardening leave." Both variants of the phrase are slightly odd anyway, however one is more suitable than the other! Furthermore the whole thread has been largely conjecture and supposition due to the lack of any official announcement or even acknowledgement of the absence of two long-serving presenters from our screens. QVC try to project a family image however their actions smack of a corporate cover-up. This is a discussion thread and people are quite within their rights to discuss it!
Julius please do not talk down/ preach to me I find the above a load of drivel and couldn't care less about what kind of leave is being referred to. I have not missed any of these presenters as they are not important in my life.

I'm not talking down to or preaching to anyone. I stated my point clearly. There isn't a great deal more that can be said, other than that your comments betray a touch of arrogance! I find it strange that someone should object to people discussing things on a discussion thread. Maybe you couldn't care less, but you certainly cared enough to post your points, didn't you?! You are quite within your rights not to care. You are quite within your rights to say so but you may wish to be aware of the possibility that other people do care. At least I would imagine they do, otherwise that thread would not have been so popular.
Julius please do not talk down/ preach to me I find the above a load of drivel and couldn't care less about what kind of leave is being referred to. I have not missed any of these presenters as they are not important in my life.

Latest posts

Back