Xmas food - mainly pies

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
Just watched the Wilfred's pie demo, and yes you can get 12 individual pies for £42 ish incl postage, and ok they've got to pack them in a special way as they're frozen, and they work out at about £3.75 each which I guess as they're supposed to be artisan pies with top quality ingredients, yes, alright. Watch the demo, and they look no better than Pukka pies, or anything I've bought from Lidl. They cut into one of them and said they're packed to the brim with quality ingredients - They most certainly were NOT packed to the brim, there was a massive gap between the lid and the filling, but they kept saying just look how packed these are, and to top it all they explained away the tiny chunks of meat as being slow cooked to get the most flavour and of course they're made out of the best WELSH beef, WELSH vegetables, pastry made with WELSH butter. Not knocking Welsh produce in any way shape or form, but if they were made in Sussex, Cornwall, Kent, wherever they'd be harping on about the provenance there, everybody thinks they're the best. The worst is yet to come an 800g salmon en croute an absolute steal at £42, I implore anyone considering this to take a look at Waitrose entertaining and get one that's 100g shy of being twice the size for £26 (which could well be made by the same company) - absolute madness!

Same with the cheese offering with Simon ‘Dairylea’ Biagi. A boring selection which the guest said could be frozen. More expensive than an upmarket cheesemonger in London’s Borough or Leadenhall St markets.

Marks & Spencer have a fab selection of cheeses for Christmas, a range of biscuits and port including some tiny little gift sets which I usually buy for my brother who lives alone and loves cheese.

I don’t dislike mince pies but find them all far too sweet. A few years ago Marks did frangipani mince pies which were to die for- I stocked the freezer to take me through to the following year! However they didn’t do them for 3 or 4 years but I found they have them again this year. Used to be in 6’s but now in 4’s and I don’t know how much I paid but I’m hoping they are as good as I remember.

Just watched the Wilfred's pie demo, and yes you can get 12 individual pies for £42 ish incl postage, and ok they've got to pack them in a special way as they're frozen, and they work out at about £3.75 each which I guess as they're supposed to be artisan pies with top quality ingredients, yes, alright. Watch the demo, and they look no better than Pukka pies, or anything I've bought from Lidl. They cut into one of them and said they're packed to the brim with quality ingredients - They most certainly were NOT packed to the brim, there was a massive gap between the lid and the filling, but they kept saying just look how packed these are, and to top it all they explained away the tiny chunks of meat as being slow cooked to get the most flavour and of course they're made out of the best WELSH beef, WELSH vegetables, pastry made with WELSH butter. Not knocking Welsh produce in any way shape or form, but if they were made in Sussex, Cornwall, Kent, wherever they'd be harping on about the provenance there, everybody thinks they're the best. The worst is yet to come an 800g salmon en croute an absolute steal at £42, I implore anyone considering this to take a look at Waitrose entertaining and get one that's 100g shy of being twice the size for £26 (which could well be made by the same company) - absolute madness!
Wilf's better to look at than his pies.

I don’t dislike mince pies but find them all far too sweet. A few years ago Marks did frangipani mince pies which were to die for- I stocked the freezer to take me through to the following year! However they didn’t do them for 3 or 4 years but I found they have them again this year. Used to be in 6’s but now in 4’s and I don’t know how much I paid but I’m hoping they are as good as I remember.
Just happens that I’m popping to our M&S food hall this afternoon. Frangipani anything has my name on it. Hope they’re in stock.

Found them. Had to try 2 to make doubly sure that I ❤️ them. £3 for 4 puts them in the luxury treat category but they are worth every penny.

While in Marks I checked out their choc and biscuit aisles and they have some fab bits & bobs at mostly reasonable prices.
Did you heat them? When I first got them years ago I ate them straight from the pack but on about the 3rd pack I read the directions and sort of thought they had to be cooked so I may have been eating raw pastry!

Asda used to do packets of frangipani tarts individually wrapped and we must have bought their entire stock but they haven’t had them for years but then again our Asda isn’t great.

I can’t believe the price of the postage for the food, an £18 cake, selection of Godminster cheese about £27 & Nana Lily’s Chutneys about £26 postage on all 3 is £5.95 yet Philip Schofield’s Gin advent calendar costing £95 only £3.95 postage. What planet are they on?

The price of food on QVC is ludicrous. I’d rather go to the shops and choose my food myself, especially for Christmas. At least I then know that we will be eating on Christmas Day, rather than chasing up a product that hasn’t been delivered.

I bought some pies from QVC the worse ones I have ever seen anywhere. They were teeny tiny with two very small pieces of diced chicken. And a dessertspoon of a congealed white unseasoned sauce. They were not even baked properly no colour to the pastry. All made to scam the QVC customer.Cost a fortune. I phoned QVC in disgust got a full refund and told I can do what I wanted with the vile pies.

Oh dear..It’s Mouthpiece v Mouthpiece on the Peter Andies show. ‘I can‘t stop opening my mouth and letting hot air come out‘ v ‘The world will be a worse place without the sound of my voice every ten seconds.‘ Marvellous..

Oh my God! now it's ******** Till Gauntlett flogging crap. Dear god, could this programme get any worse? At least we can't see her dreadful footwear ! Honestly, the prices are totally ridiculous. Marks and Spencer and Waitrose aren't this expensive. Who is buying this ********??? I ask myself.!

I bought some pies from QVC the worse ones I have ever seen anywhere. They were teeny tiny with two very small pieces of diced chicken. And a dessertspoon of a congealed white unseasoned sauce. They were not even baked properly no colour to the pastry. All made to scam the QVC customer.Cost a fortune. I phoned QVC in disgust got a full refund and told I can do what I wanted with the vile pies.
Are you gonna name and shame the brand Boffy? We need to know!!!

These prices are totally ludicrous why anyone would want to buy from QVC is totally beyond me. Wait for the ‘gushing money no object ‘ reviews from the Qurio faithful.

Living on my own, my Christmas treat is buying a jar of M & S cherries in Kirsch, warmed up in a saucepan and poured over vanilla ice cream !!! bellissamo ! and buying the small iced Christmas cake which I open around New Year.
The warm cherries over vanilla ice cream sound sublime. I can't find vanilla ice cream here. Too simple for Italians in gelato land. Every other flavour you can think of. Crema is the closest. Although I'm no cook I'm going to try to bake the online Sainsbury's rich fruit cake recipe. It takes 9 hours to bake at a very low heat. I don't think (hope) I could ruin such a simple recipe. My only fear is that all the fruit will drop to the bottom of the cake. This has always happened to me in the past. Still edible, though. I can buy marzipan on line and I'll try some royal icing. Adventurous. Living Big!!

Latest posts

Back