Xmas food - mainly pies

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Did you heat them? When I first got them years ago I ate them straight from the pack but on about the 3rd pack I read the directions and sort of thought they had to be cooked so I may have been eating raw pastry!

Asda used to do packets of frangipani tarts individually wrapped and we must have bought their entire stock but they haven’t had them for years but then again our Asda isn’t great.
I warmed them through. They don’t need thorough cooking though.

A while back I used to buy the meat hampers every year and to be fair they were always good quality although if you bought the smaller pack the cuts of meat were significantly smaller. Now we've moved to the sticks we get meat from the local farmer and it's miles better. It's still not cheap though, I just paid £100 for half a lamb but it will last until well into the New Year.

I make my own mince pies and they never last more than a couple of days 🐷

CC

J
I can’t believe the price of the postage for the food, an £18 cake, selection of Godminster cheese about £27 & Nana Lily’s Chutneys about £26 postage on all 3 is £5.95 yet Philip Schofield’s Gin advent calendar costing £95 only £3.95 postage. What planet are they on?
ust watching the finale🙄. 4 packets of marshmallows p and p £5.95!!! Is Tom Cruise delivering them in a helicopter I wonder? Ridiculous.

The warm cherries over vanilla ice cream sound sublime. I can't find vanilla ice cream here. Too simple for Italians in gelato land. Every other flavour you can think of. Crema is the closest. Although I'm no cook I'm going to try to bake the online Sainsbury's rich fruit cake recipe. It takes 9 hours to bake at a very low heat. I don't think (hope) I could ruin such a simple recipe. My only fear is that all the fruit will drop to the bottom of the cake. This has always happened to me in the past. Still edible, though. I can buy marzipan on line and I'll try some royal icing. Adventurous. Living Big!!
A small tip for sinking fruit in cakes Add an extra ounce or two of plain flour and make sure you fold the flour in gently

The Real Pie Company..

I agree with you Boffy. A few years ago when I had a hip replacement and was housebound for a few weeks, I sent for some pies to freeze. Oh my Lord, they were awful. I know some people will eat 'anything', but I'm a bit more discerning in what goes in my mouth. Years ago I tried Tesco's ready meals, before they brought out the Best range, the shepherds pie could only be described as 'slop' - so never again. Even in this climate the price of this dish could be made more nutritious being home made and more tasty.

I can't buy pies where I live. Folks prefer focaccia around here. QVC don't ship out of UK. However, despite the bad reviews, some of those pies do look mouthwatering, except the Chunk of Devon pies. They look dry and as if they have too much pastry. I wouldn’t turn one down though.

I like pastry and I like meat but I’m not that fussed about pies other than my late mothers S&K pie. She was a very basic cook but her S&K pie was to die for and I don’t even like kidneys. She did the filling in the pressure cooker which meant it was very tender and it made the basis of great gravy which was her other specialty.

Latest posts

Back