Stop telling me how to wear it

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Susie Wusie

Registered Shopper
I am so fed up of watching fashion shows or shoe shows, jewellery shows etc etc and being told what I can wear it with and how to wear it with a pair of jeans and a little white T-shirt blah d blah d blah d blah. If I'm going to buy the item I don't need to be told the basics of how to get dressed and what I can wear it with , same with the earrings on links of London today when we were being told how we could wear those as well, for crying out loud do you think we are all a bunch of morons that don't know what we can wear and what we can't wear and at the end of the day what we wear them with is entirely up to us and nothing whatsoever to do with what you suggest so please please please stop suggesting how to wear things it just puts me off of watching. Another person who drives me mad telling people what they can and can't wear with things is Glen Campbell, he comes on looking like a scruff that's just woken up on the streets of London and wandered into the studio so who on earth would take advice from this man! On another tack the model Piro???? was wearing a £16 Matalan dress on the Lorraine show this morning and it looked as equally good if not better than any of the items on QVC that we are asked to spend megabucks on.

'I am so fed up of watching fashion shows or shoe shows, jewellery shows etc etc and being told what I can wear it with and how to wear it..'
Me too & I've told the powers that be but nothing changes. Meanwhile the presenter & stylist are wittering on about themselves or having a private joke instead of giving out measurements, fabric information & care instructions. I know that all the info is available online or by phoning Liverpool, as the lazier presenters always tell us to do, but it's not good enough in fact it's cheap & tatty service & downright rude in my opinion.

Gone are the days when the presenters sat behind a desk and measured everything before your eyes, as already said some are too lazy to read measurements off a card. Another thing that drives me mad is when they are showing a top/dress... there are lots of colours but they show us the darkest colour.I am always suspicious when they do that.

I agree. I've been getting myself dressed for long enough to know what suits me and what should go with it. I feel the same way about some of the beauty shows when they spend the whole hour demonstrating how to apply a cream while a model earns money by lying on a couch.

We are all intelligent and so don't need step by step waffle about fashion or anti-ageing creams ..... we just need the sizing in the former and I'm sure that most of us can put a cream on without needing an 'expert' telling us what to do..

I've no doubt that the presenters and guests think that by telling us all about their lives, 'funny' stories and promoting their books and retreats that it will endear them to us. Well I, for one, turn off as soon as they wander off track (which is 95% of the time.)

It always cracks me up when, having gone through the 'ways to wear', they graciously end with, 'of course, it's up to you how you wear it'.

I always make sure to thank the presenter, for their generosity, in allowing us all that freewill.

Where would we be without QVC, 'Guardians of the Fashion Galaxy'?

:mysmilie_19: :mysmilie_19: :mysmilie_19:

I don't bother watching Q 'fashion' but similarly they have models spraying perfume, and washing hands in bowls of water. We can't smell the shower gels etc. so why do this with every different one that they show.

I don't bother watching Q 'fashion' but similarly they have models spraying perfume, and washing hands in bowls of water. We can't smell the shower gels etc. so why do this with every different one that they show.

So true, as if their rapturous expression whilst fondling soapy bath lilies somehow conveys the scent - absolute nonsense :mysmilie_17:

Days are a changing, how many High St. shops are learning this?OK for me I am no longer on the ‘tread mill’ but everyone has to be ahead of the game, are. QVC?I do shop online but when clothes/ footwear it has to be free delivery & returns.Q allow me to try beauty products & then return but I pay heavily for that.They are promoting the ezpays heavily which does attract me but I could pay upfront it doesn’t mean I buy more.

I suspect they would have to offer far more products in the hour, if they only said "this is "24.99, it comes in sky blue and fuschia pink, and sizes range from 10 - 22" - yes that's all the info we need, but it would take less than a minute to say that (yesssss!), but with that ratio of speed, the amount of products would be 30 - 40 in an hour and I suppose that's not feasible.

But aside from that, it IS annoying to constantly hear that we can wear it on a cruise, dress it up dress it down, and generally treat us like we only have a single brain cell, and as someone who is of an age and rarely wears denim, everything can be worn with 'denim' apparently. If this is to cater for the 'yoof' audience, then hello, any self respecting 'yoof' would run a mile before admitting to watching a shopping channel let alone buy fashion from one.

I think the majority of time they are filling in, because they cannot think of anything intelligent and useful to say about the products as they've not done the homework.

For clothing, I would far rather they gave the information which we cannot glean by looking at the garment on the model:

1) measurements
2) fit - is it snug to the arms/legs, and if so what are the diameter measurements for these
3) fabric composition
4) does it need a camisole/slip/shapewear to look its best? Yes, this needs a bit of unaccustomed honesty, but please try!
5) washing instructions - can we wash it, at what temperature?

Rather than hearing someone drivel on about wearing it with a boot/shoe/jean etc (whatever plurals they can singularise to sound extra stupid)... here's an idea - why don't the stylists show it in different ways it can be worn? Last time I looked, TV was a visual medium, and the rule is to show, not tell, wherever possible.

For fragrance I'm afraid they need to bite the bullet, talk about fragrance families and try the "if you like [insert well-known fragrance], this is in the same family so you might like it", even if shock-horror, they don't sell the one it's supposed to be similar to. They might have to cite more than one non-QVC well-known fragrance to be more helpful.
I know whenever I go and ask for assistance at a fragrance counter, the first thing they ask is what kind of fragrance do you like so they can point out ones which might also be appealing. As QVC is essentially a retailer, they should try to use some of the best of the sales training given to staff at stores... not all of it is passé for selly telly!

With the beauty products, apart from the fact that they need to be showing them on air less, they could do with using models with different skin types for different ranges, and get them to use them for a period of time... I dare say that means they need different models, and more of them. What is the point of demonstrating skincare for dry skins on someone with an oily skin, or vice versa? And when the same models show up on umpteen different beauty shows swearing X has made such a difference, we know fine well they are saying it because that's what they're paid to do.

In real life sales, rather than the antiquated world of QVC, there is a clear direction towards selling the experience of buying from the particular vendor. I can't say I'll be leaping to the phones when I get an offhand "phone Liverpool for details", and wait for ever (or until the product is limited stock) to hear relevant information.

Rant over.

Styling advice in itself is not a bad thing, many clothing websites do that and as do some retailers.

Not everyone is confident in knowing what colours go with others or what styles might suit their body shape etc so QVC are right to cater for those people but it needs to be done properly.

The trouble is some of the stylists used by QVC just come out with banal comments which help no one. Some look like a dogs dinner which does not inspire confidence or just look like they are trying too hard.

"You could always wear it with a little pant" (loooooooooooool) I always laugh when I hear that one. I suppose they have to pad out the hours with something. Good old Glen Campbell and his Birkenstocks, mix n match, nautical look, safari look, little detail / story running through there at this price point.

On the very rare occasions I see any Q fashion, as soon as they start to rattle.off the suggestions I always mutter skinny jeans and a white T shirt. And sure enough.....

Styling advice in itself is not a bad thing, many clothing websites do that and as do some retailers.

Not everyone is confident in knowing what colours go with others or what styles might suit their body shape etc so QVC are right to cater for those people but it needs to be done properly.

The trouble is some of the stylists used by QVC just come out with banal comments which help no one. Some look like a dogs dinner which does not inspire confidence or just look like they are trying too hard.[/QUOTE]

So true. I just wonder where these 'stylists' learned their trade - certainly not high end stores that's for sure. More like the corner shop. If I ever needed one and Katy - the vocabulary strangulator, came heading towards me, I'd run a mile.

"You could always wear it with a little pant" (loooooooooooool) I always laugh when I hear that one. I suppose they have to pad out the hours with something. Good old Glen Campbell and his Birkenstocks, mix n match, nautical look, safari look, little detail / story running through there at this price point.

Like when you are only mildly out of breath!!

Like when you are only mildly out of breath!!

Can't imagine anyone panting over Michele Hope's naff old garms, that is unless they have a fetish for synthetic fibres and dusky pink stretchy lace.

Jill Franks often has a little pant....well more like a wheezing gasp!

I think the whole styling advice thing is just a way of them padding out time. It's like when you buy a food from the supermarket and the picture shows a "serving suggestion," it doesn't necessarily mean you have to stick a bit of parsley on top, or serve it with custard, or whatever it shows in the picture. It's just they're trying to show the product in what they see as the best way.

I wonder if when Glen Campbell makes a lasagne if he insists on a little bit of parsley as a sort of "culinary corsage" or a frond of fennel just to have "that little bit of additional detail there" and make it look "so much more attractive at that price point?"

i think qvc spend too much money on three or four models and a presenter or two and then the brand ambassador the screen is so busy with bodies all taking over each other its a real mess sometimes

Totally agree Boffy ! There's Kathy's morning style (odd play on words) with 3 bodies, Jacksons gardening with 3 or more, cookery, and why the Pie Co and Camouflage Co have to pitch up with TWO guests is beyond me.

I hope I'm not going to offend anyone but, I've got the Danielle Nicole show on in the background, who on earth would wear any of those garish Disney bags? I can understand little girls wanting one but surely adults wouldn't? The current guest is waxing lyrical about how fashionable they are, in which case I'm well out of date with regards to the current trends.

Latest posts

Back