Michael Perry Garden TSV 07/03/21

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yes RJ is becoming a bit monotonous, he needs a new script.

I didn't know magnolias took 7 years to flower, I must have had mine nearly that long and it's a small standard type in a pot. It's definitely going to flower this year though so can't wait to see it. I did have a magnolia stellata in my old house that did a good impression of a dead stick for years and then it had one flower on it and the next year it was glorious.

T&M are the worst I've had from QVC, slightly better direct from T&M. De Jager bulbs are lovely but a lot only last one year, except the lilies which flower every year.

I'll be sorting out my apricot shades tubers this morning, something I've never had much success with but maybe this time will be different.

CC

I didn't know magnolias took 7 years to flower, I must have had mine nearly that long and it's a small standard type in a pot. It's definitely going to flower this year though so can't wait to see it. I did have a magnolia stellata in my old house that did a good impression of a dead stick for years and then it had one flower on it and the next year it was glorious.

T&M are the worst I've had from QVC, slightly better direct from T&M. De Jager bulbs are lovely but a lot only last one year, except the lilies which flower every year.

I'll be sorting out my apricot shades tubers this morning, something I've never had much success with but maybe this time will be different.

CC
I dont like the Begonia tubers your lucky to get half of them to flower. I much rather the plants

If anyone is interested in roses you can’t do better than buying directly fromDavidAustin. Expensive yes but the service is second to none and the plants are wonderful. Also the description of plants is accurate unlike many suppliers.
Their nursery is about 15 miles away from us, it's a lovely place & always a good day out. I've never had one of their roses fail & my sister says I'm like a Bisto kid when we go into the marquee Chelsea & get near to their stand.

To me a rose that doesn’t smell isn’t a rose at all it’s just flowers on a thorny stick.

I love it when the garden is filled with the scent of flowers. I try to grow as many scented plants as possible.

CC
We've got two magnolia stellata & obviously they didn't read the page in the book that told them not to flower until in double figures. Our soil is slightly acidic going into neutral but I mulch the areas around these two with leaf mould to increase the acid level. I love their furry little buds & the way they suddenly produce random flowers in early autumn.

Thompson & Morgan Tall Dark & Handsome Geranium 3x 1L Pots with Tower Planter
Item Number: 715360
QVC Price £44.00
Todays Special Value Price £27.99
P&P £4.95
Advanced Orders for 24/05/21

This variety of Tall, Dark & Handsome Geranium blooms from Thompson & Morgan features striking dark leaves that create a wonderful backdrop for the vivid colour display that comes from its stunning pink flowers. Complete with a tower planter perfectly suited to their upright columnar habit, these beautiful flowers are ideal for any outdoor space, whether you have a grand garden, perfectly proportioned patio or a boutique balcony.

*A great saving: If you were to buy this collection directly from Thompson & Morgan you’d pay £49.98, plus P&P. So for our Today Special Value price of just £27.99, plus P&P, you’re saving £22.03.
Delivered directly from Thompson & Morgan - please allow 7 - 10 working days for delivery to UK only (excluding Northern Ireland).

Long lasting blooms - the brand new Tall Dark & Handsome Geranium variety is the result of six years' breeding by Thompson & Morgan. This variety boasts almost-black glossy leaves that contrast beautifully against the vibrant pink flowers, and it climbs up to 120cm (3' 9"), giving an impressive six-foot display of colour when planted in the tower planter. The blooms are completely pollenless, meaning they will have a longer flowering period, from late Spring until the first frosts.

A perfect pairing - the tower planter display is a perfect size for any outdoor space, adding colour to patios, balconies and even raised beds. The plant also flowers across the entire stem, not just the terminal shoots, to provide more flowers and brighter colours to decorate the tower.

Ready to grow - delivered in late May / early June the geranium plants are supplied in 1 litre pots meaning when they arrive, they can be put instantly in the tower planter ready to grow and provide a fantastic display of colour to your outdoor space all summer long.

• Flowering period: June - October
  • Plant position: full sun or part-shade
  • Soil type: fertile, well-drained
  • Mature size (h x w): 180cm x 60cm (5' 9" x 1' 9")

Contains:

• 3 x Geranium Tall Dark & Handsome Hot Pink (in 1L pots) - not scented, with pink flowers and dark chocolate leaves with green margins
  • 1 x Tower Pot Kit - includes 1 x frame; 1 x saucer; 1 x pot (h x w): 30cm x 36cm (12" x 14.5"), total height with frame: 1.3m (4' 2")
  • 1 x cultural instruction booklet

All measurements are approximate

You need a terrier cross, they soon see off the deer🦌🦌

Attachments

• IMG_0060.JPG
    IMG_0060.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 87
You need a terrier cross, they soon see off the deer🦌🦌
Very cute pooch!

I have a JRT but she's an old lady now.

The deer are bold I scare them off, they jump over the fence hang around, looking at me from between the trees in the wood, as soon as I'm out of the way they're back in the garden, they're vermin.

My nephew sometimes drives home at 3am (police officer in the Met) along an A road that takes him from busy London out to his village in the sticks. Twice in the last three years he’s been in a collision with a deer that’s leapt out of the woods and across the road. Both times he’s escaped injury but his cars have been written off. Very dangerous.

I love our gardens, spend a lot of time & some money on them & my idea of bliss is a day at an RHS flower show. However, I'd rather have a patch of scrubland with deer & other animals than a show garden. We have a fox who skips down our road at 10 o'clock every night & during the colder months I put cat food & peanuts at the end of the drive for him, earlier this week he'd left behind a small amount & a hardy hedgehog finished it off, it was my highlight of this miserable year.

If anyone is interested in roses you can’t do better than buying directly fromDavidAustin. Expensive yes but the service is second to none and the plants are wonderful. Also the description of plants is accurate unlike many suppliers.
I bought a "Fairy" rose bush for £3.00 last winter in B&Q. Its putting out some tremendous growth. Very excited. My lovely neighbour planted a beautiful Magnolia tree 26 years ago. She had to move away not long after she planted it sadly. The last 10/15 years it blooms beautifully. I get tremendous pleasure seeing it. reminds me of her.

I love our gardens, spend a lot of time & some money on them & my idea of bliss is a day at an RHS flower show. However, I'd rather have a patch of scrubland with deer & other animals than a show garden. We have a fox who skips down our road at 10 o'clock every night & during the colder months I put cat food & peanuts at the end of the drive for him, earlier this week he'd left behind a small amount & a hardy hedgehog finished it off, it was my highlight of this miserable year.
You'd love my garden then, it's huge and scrubland describes it perfectly, I've given up spending money on it, I might as well feed £20 notes to the deer.

It does have a lot of wildlife though, in the summer I see lizards, slow worms, toads, all sorts of bees and butterflies, deer, rabbits and other mammals.

I don't see foxes, the gamekeepers shoot them to protect the pheasants.

Last edited:
I wish I had a garden like that. My little Oasis is a very little oasis. living so near to central London my garden is teeny tiny.

IIs nice enough its west facing so gets the sun but teeny tiny. The last few years I have been updating the fencing and have a lot of new hardwood trellis put along all the fencing. I have invested in a lot of new trailing plants to hopefully have a living wall of colour and scent for much of the year. The space is tight so every inch is planted up. Loads of haniging baskets along all the walls. Large window boxes on all the windows. Not a lot of planters on the floor as I dont want it to look cluttered. The Borders are teeny tiny and crammed. One is in deep shade but still full of plants that are shade loving. Go for stuff with fancy leaves, berries etc for interest.

Added to all our problems over here we now can’t get plants as ANYTHING with soil on it is not allowed in because of Brexit/Protocol . Yes even a second hand tractor on a trailer with a tiny bit of soil on the wheels .

It’s such a pity that garden centres buy in all their summer bedding now whereas years ago they used to grow their own plants, maybe some of the small ones will go back to this.

Lets hope my seeds come to something otherwise it will be a dull summer.

IIs nice enough its west facing so gets the sun but teeny tiny. The last few years I have been updating the fencing and have a lot of new hardwood trellis put along all the fencing. I have invested in a lot of new trailing plants to hopefully have a living wall of colour and scent for much of the year. The space is tight so every inch is planted up. Loads of haniging baskets along all the walls. Large window boxes on all the windows. Not a lot of planters on the floor as I dont want it to look cluttered. The Borders are teeny tiny and crammed. One is in deep shade but still full of plants that are shade loving. Go for stuff with fancy leaves, berries etc for interest.
It sounds wonderful.

Latest posts

Back