Gemporia - struggling financially?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I did wonder about him having any experience ........this forum is quite eye an opener to the goings on at gemporia, some of the things I have read about make me feel quite foolish now. I have spent a lot of money with them especially in the early days when I thought it was a good company but now well......

Don't get me wrong - I'm not 'in the know' at all. I'm a disgruntled customer.

I'm just going by information that is available freely online. Jake and Colin's LinkedIn profiles are both available online - and their CV's aren't exactly glowing. Both appear to have been in the right place, at the right time, with the right connections, to get to where they've got.

Jake has gone from working in Little Chef and the Gemporia warehouse, to somehow being Managing Director of a multi-million pound turnover business - https://uk.linkedin.com/in/jake-thompson-894308132

Colin has gone from being a Marketing Manager to a Managing Director of numerous companies (all of which appear to have gone into decline under his 'leadership') - https://uk.linkedin.com/in/colin-wagstaffe-0bb07512

Dave Troth's is a bit vague - https://uk.linkedin.com/in/david-troth-90b081177

Toby Cavill's refers more to his Prolife CBD business than Gemporia - https://uk.linkedin.com/in/toby-cavill-1298864b

Don't get me wrong - I'm not 'in the know' at all. I'm a disgruntled customer.

I'm just going by information that is available freely online. Jake and Colin's LinkedIn profiles are both available online - and their CV's aren't exactly glowing. Both appear to have been in the right place, at the right time, with the right connections, to get to where they've got.

Jake has gone from working in Little Chef and the Gemporia warehouse, to somehow being Managing Director of a multi-million pound turnover business - https://uk.linkedin.com/in/jake-thompson-894308132

Colin has gone from being a Marketing Manager to a Managing Director of numerous companies (all of which appear to have gone into decline under his 'leadership') - https://uk.linkedin.com/in/colin-wagstaffe-0bb07512

Dave Troth's is a bit vague - https://uk.linkedin.com/in/david-troth-90b081177

Toby Cavill's refers more to his Prolife CBD business than Gemporia - https://uk.linkedin.com/in/toby-cavill-1298864b
I miss Little Chef

It's funny how "Jainey" AKA "HistoryMystery" only turns up when there are posts telling truths that Gemporia would not want people to know. I think the plan is to troll and flame so that people respond in droves and the original posts get swamped with flame wars and junk so people cannot be bothered to read through them. My thinking would be the good old "Do not feed the troll". Ignore them, do not rise to them, do not respond them and then they will just look daft or get themselves banned.
As I said she might have had her account deleted, but she was still reading. Either this poster is deliberately trying to change the subject to a flame war to cheapen the points we have made, or has some kind of issue. I am not going to rise to such cheap tracks. Flame on, you crazy diamond. I see right through you sweetie.
Just Ignore the forthcoing trolling and flaming, it's trolling and a load of old codswallop. It's not even imaginative or novel trolling. It's trolling 101 and we've all seen it before elsewhere. :)

Don't forget there is the option to "ignore" posters on this site. I have just availed myself of it. ;)

I'd say its a step sideways based on:

a) Jake having no experience of running a company.
b) Jake being part of the problem that got Gemporia to the stage it's at now.
c) Jake was reported to the ASA for making misleading claims on-air - which the ASA investigated and upheld (I know this because it was me that reported him - and the ASA told me of their decision).

Jake is part of the problem - not the cure.
This is soo bad. I'm glad I joined the forum it's pointed out so many things and I've learnt so much from it. Not a lot of it good!!!

I had a look at the Glassdoor reviews of Gemporia as a place to work. They were not joyous reading There were one or two that were good but the majority were pretty awful and left me feeling like I had been a total mug to accept the "one big family" line. This latest saga at Gemporia has really made me see things in a whole new light - and it ain't pretty. However, over the years I did collect a few nice pieces of jewellery and I am glad of that.
By the way, Lindsay has Jade on at the moment again - don't all rush at once to pre-order it - especially after Townieland's revelations. ;)

I had a look at the Glassdoor reviews of Gemporia as a place to work. They were not joyous reading There were one or two that were good but the majority were pretty awful and left me feeling like I had been a total mug to accept the "one big family" line. This latest saga at Gemporia has really made me see things in a whole new light - and it ain't pretty. However, over the years I did collect a few nice pieces of jewellery and I am glad of that.
By the way, Lindsay has Jade on at the moment again - don't all rush at once to pre-order it - especially after Townieland's revelations. ;)
To be to honest if any company was struggling, it would be suicide to sell Jade, if the value was described, at the prices they are doing. They would be to Aspreys like a shot. Like others feeling I have been taken in by the Gemporia spin but I think if you were an early customer and did get some great deals then, the company has relied and possibly exploited trust since then. The people I feel for most are the staff who rely on Gemporia for their jobs. Hopefully things can be turned round for their sake.

It might have been like that once, but a company can turn bad very quickly if the culture or working practices change and the employees are not on board. I've seen it happen more than once. It's usually down to one or more upper management or above tier decisions made by people without much experience in dealing with the customers and knowing what it is they want. They make unreasonable demands of middle management, who push the frontline staff, who become miserable. Presenteeism and absenteeism goes up, productivity goes down, management react by doubling down and pushing staff even harder instead of taking the blame with their silly antics, and the company goes to pot. A whole company can be sacrificed for the grand "vision" of a single berk with too much power and not enough sense.

The presenters do look genuinely happy Steve is back, so hopefully he can turn things around.

It's funny how "Jainey" AKA "HistoryMystery" only turns up when there are posts telling truths that Gemporia would not want people to know. I think the plan is to troll and flame so that people respond in droves and the original posts get swamped with flame wars and junk so people cannot be bothered to read through them. My thinking would be the good old "Do not feed the troll". Ignore them, do not rise to them, do not respond them and then they will just look daft or get themselves banned.
As I said she might have had her account deleted, but she was still reading. Either this poster is deliberately trying to change the subject to a flame war to cheapen the points we have made, or has some kind of issue. I am not going to rise to such cheap tracks. Flame on, you crazy diamond. I see right through you sweetie.
Just Ignore the forthcoing trolling and flaming, it's trolling and a load of old codswallop. It's not even imaginative or novel trolling. It's trolling 101 and we've all seen it before elsewhere. :)
Calm down, dear, it's only a forum, not the United Nations. Get a hobby that doesn't involve dictating to other people.

Apology accepted. Might be an idea to calm down before you hit the keyboard warrior button? Just makes you look rather foolish.
This I know, and I have apologised and you have accepted for which I am grateful. However, it could be an idea to learn not to rub salt into the wounds or patronise people. I made a mistake and I have apologised and I will apologise for that again but it does not mean I have to be insulted and patronised by you either. Are we moving on now ? Or do you want to chuck another couple of barbs on. Because after this I won't be rising to them if you do.

This I know, and I have apologised and you have accepted for which I am grateful. However, it could be an idea to learn not to rub salt into the wounds or patronise people. I made a mistake and I have apologised and I will apologise for that again but it does not mean I have to be insulted and patronised by you either. Are we moving on now ? Or do you want to chuck another couple of barbs on. Because after this I won't be rising to them if you do.
Oh I see - only you are permitted to make comments? If you can dish it out, you have to be able to take it, dear.

Oh I see - only you are permitted to make comments? If you can dish it out, you have to be able to take it, dear.
Maybe everyone needs to calm down.

Not sure if this is related. I see that this weekends promotion is based on the fact that Gemporia is not going to the Hong Kong trade show this year. Has it been announced why?

Latest posts

Back