Dualit toaster

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
Just watched this - - -

The BA works for Dualit. Eilidh specifically asked her if the toaster has any knobs to adjust it The BA said NO, nothing to adjust. Eilidh was impreesed by this, and said something like "that's good, so it just does its own thing".

But you can clearly see a calibrated knob on it to adjust it. So even the BA doesn't know anything about her £205 toaster!

EDIT, just watched the KR shears, the BA said the sheath over the blades was new. Rubbish, I bought these years ago, with the sheath.

Last edited:
Just watched this - - -

The BA works for Dualit. Eilidh specifically asked her if the toaster has any knobs to adjust it The BA said NO, nothing to adjust. Eilidh was impreesed by this, and said something like "that's good, so it just does its own thing".

But you can clearly see a calibrated knob on it to adjust it. So even the BA doesn't know anything about her £205 toaster!

EDIT, just watched the KR shears, the BA said the sheath over the blades was new. Rubbish, I bought these years ago, with the sheath.
It makes you wonder how much they prepare for their demonstrations beforehand. Shouldn't the presenter have looked over the product and seen the adjustment knob, or read the instruction pamphlet? Perhaps the BA was filling in at the last minute, but this is certainly no excuse. If they just wing it, QVC are losing their credibility.

Never mind that, look at the price! I bought mine (4 slot Dualit Lite retro design) on a Harts of Stur sale a few months back for around the £100 mark and amazon are selling it for £108. I love mine. Unlike so many modern designs, it toasts two slices at a time, instead of having to toast all four slices when you only want two, saving on electricity. Expensive, yes, but nowhere near the QVC price. And it looks good in the kitchen, too. So shop around if you're interested.

I absolutely hate these toasters. We use them in the self service bit of our work canteen and I've never been able to get on with the controls and I don't like the idea that it doesn't pop up of its own accord. In my experience the toast is either hideously underdone or burned to the point of threatening to set the fire alarms off. Too much guesswork involved for my liking. Ok if it was my own toaster I'd be able to read the manual and get to grips with it, but at work, you're on a short break and I can't be doing with having to fiddle around with the dial and then have to put it back in cause its underdone. I don't think I've had a decent bit of toast from it ever. You know when somebody's doing toast 'cause you call smell it as soon as you open the door of the canteen....and sod paying over £100 for the horrible thing - Well that's off me chest!!!

Last edited:
Mr CC has got one of the Dualit toasters for the caravan, cost him over £100 and I had nothing to do with it - far too much money. However, two years in it is still going and you can lift the bread up half way through to see if it's nearly done/overdone and it has a dial that you can adjust the browning of the bread. I just bought a new Haden toaster with a matching kettle, both for £85 and they are quite smart. You can toast just 2 slices at a time, not 4.

CC

I bought a Russell Hobbs toaster in black (all my kitchen gadgets are black) when I moved here. It cost me £16. After 14 years it’s still going strong. I personally couldn’t justify spending the price that Dualit charges for theirs when mine does everything that I need it to do. I can adjust the heat setting and toast crumpets in it too if I buy them. It only does two slices at a time but that’s the most I would eat anyway.

I have never yet found a toaster that will take a full size slice of bread the "correct" way around.

That is, with the long side down. So you have to put it with the short side down, then about a third of the bread sticks out of the top, so it doesn't toast.

So I have to keep turning it upside down many time to get the whole slice toasted all over.

I've tried many toasters, from the cheapest to very expensive, they've all been the same.

What is the point of a toaster that won't take a slice from a standard supermarket large sliced loaf?

Totally agree with you Strato and i have returned many toasters because of that. However, our Dualit does take the bread long side down. It's one of the vintage style ones (apparently Mr CC's ancient relatives had one after toasting forks went out of style).

C

I have never yet found a toaster that will take a full size slice of bread the "correct" way around.

That is, with the long side down. So you have to put it with the short side down, then about a third of the bread sticks out of the top, so it doesn't toast.

So I have to keep turning it upside down many time to get the whole slice toasted all over.

I've tried many toasters, from the cheapest to very expensive, they've all been the same.

What is the point of a toaster that won't take a slice from a standard supermarket large sliced loaf?

My cheap Russell Hobbs one does. 😉

I do not own a toaster, never have. Just use the grill and get the colour etc I want.

Things like bagels or hot cross buns I don't want toasted on both sides.
I measured a round of sliced bread, wrote it down, then went around the electrical shops with a tape measure. None of the toasters would accept the slice fully.

Knowing me, it's surprising I didn't go around the shops with an actual slice of bread ;)

There are so many toasters that you can't put the bread in sideways and if you put the bread in upright and push the slot down, half the bread sticks out the top so you have to turn it halfway through or toast twice. Totally useless. Don't forget the different sizes of bread as well. Some slices are tiny and some are big. The tiny ones burn quickly and the bigger ones don't fit in the slot properly. Buying a toaster isn't as easy as you think!

Teapots are another thing. I knew someone that used to have to fill up a teapot in the shop and pour it before buying as so many of them just pour the water everywhere.

CC

There are so many toasters that you can't put the bread in sideways and if you put the bread in upright and push the slot down, half the bread sticks out the top so you have to turn it halfway through or toast twice. Totally useless. Don't forget the different sizes of bread as well. Some slices are tiny and some are big. The tiny ones burn quickly and the bigger ones don't fit in the slot properly. Buying a toaster isn't as easy as you think!

Teapots are another thing. I knew someone that used to have to fill up a teapot in the shop and pour it before buying as so many of them just pour the water everywhere.

CC
And the tiny rounds shoot right out of the top of the toaster and can go anywhere, sometimes into the bowl of washing up water !

Last edited:
Totally agree with you Strato and i have returned many toasters because of that. However, our Dualit does take the bread long side down. It's one of the vintage style ones (apparently Mr CC's ancient relatives had one after toasting forks went out of style).

C

Ahhhh. The good old days.

Never mind, I'm sure toasting forks will come back in fashion soon. Along with Measles! Oh...

I remember toasting bread on a fork in front of my nan's fire. I also remember the adults talking of the not-so-good-old-days when an infection would kill you, gangrene was a whispered word, and the wondrous new-fangled vaccinations were saving children's lives that would be lost to diseases like TB, Tetanus, Polio and Measles.

I'm not that old but my mum was nearly 50 having me so I spent a lot of my early days with older people that respected things like good hygiene in order to prevent infections that might prove deadly like sepsis. A bread poulitce saved my mum's hand. It was pretty unattractive to look at due to the ravages of infection but at least she lived.

Yep, the good old days.

Teapots! I still use one every day. I wish I'd been able to try them out in the shop as I've sent many to a charity shop (for some other unfortunate soul to mop up after).

And the tiny rounds shoot right out of the top of the toaster and can go anywhere, sometimes into the bowl of washing up water !

Either your toaster is way too close to your washing up bowl for safety or you have champion discus thrower in there somewhere.

I bought a Russell Hobbs toaster in black (all my kitchen gadgets are black) when I moved here. It cost me £16. After 14 years it’s still going strong. I personally couldn’t justify spending the price that Dualit charges for theirs when mine does everything that I need it to do. I can adjust the heat setting and toast crumpets in it too if I buy them. It only does two slices at a time but that’s the most I would eat anyway.

I bought a cheap Aldi toaster about 5 years ago. Despite Mr. AE dropping it so it now sports a fetching little dent, it still works perfectly.

When I say perfectly, I mean I hover over it, press the Cancel button every few seconds, turn the bread so many times it gets dizzy then butter it when it hits that perfect toast colour (for me).

It is in OH's house, and the kitchen is so small that it it the only place for the toaster

I had a kitchen like that once. I took my life in my hands every time I juggled opening the doors to fridge or oven.

Using my hand blender would have voided my life insurance!

I had a kitchen like that once. I took my life in my hands every time I juggled opening the doors to fridge or oven!
What seems daft to me is that the bathrooms have pull switches operated by string, and yet these switches are well out of reach of anything wet such as the sink.

On the other hand, I have power sockets in the kitchen that are only 1 foot from the kitchen sink!

What seems daft to me is that the bathrooms have pull switches operated by string, and yet these switches are well out of reach of anything wet such as the sink.

On the other hand, I have power sockets in the kitchen that are only 1 foot from the kitchen sink!

Shockingly (see what I did there ;)), I also have sockets within 18" from a sink. Mr. AE built this house (himself, just like Chunts :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:) but didn't do the electrics. He left that to a qualified electrician.

Worse, it was passed by building control!

Several years ago I mentioned this to my hubby. I can reach the kitchen light switch whilst standing at the sink. So he Googled it. It's to do with steam not water. My whole life I've thought it was to do with touching the switch with wet hands!

Latest posts

Back