Dualit toaster

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Does he use it to make the toast first?

I've found that if you only toast one side and put the cheese on the raw side, it just soaks into the bread and is all soggy.

I used to have C on T EVERY lunch time for many years, as it was quick to prepare when I went home during my lunch hour. Eventually I got fed up with it, and only have it rarely now (Welsh Rarebit, see what I've done there) and have always used the oven grill, which is expensive as it takes ages to heat up.

How do others like their C on T? I like mine fully melted but NO BROWNING at all, and I was probably the world expert at making it!
No he likes sardines on toast so he butters the bread and puts sardines on, when the fish is warm he puts the cheese on and pos it back in the air fryer. I've just asked him and he said the bread isn't soggy.
If I have c on t I like my cheese with Worcester sauce and just going crispy on the edges.
Not now but the best fried bread was thick slices fried in beef dripping. Can't stand the smell of frying nowadays but wouldn't use dripping any more

I think French bread has cinnamon in the mix. My Spanish friend adds sugar to hers. That's delicious.

Best fried bread comes after you've cooked bacon in lard. You just fry the bread in the bacon fat until it's golden brown and crispy, adding more lard if the bread has soaked it up. It's been years since I've used last but I still fry my bread in bacon fat for a rare treat.

Bread fried in olive oil with sesame oil added is very tasty, too.

I make "joking pizza" in the air fryer. Toast the bread, rub a garlic clove over it, add some pasatta or pizza sauce, grated mozzarella and whatever topping you fancy. Bung in air fryer (or under grill) until done.

Strato - have you tried different cheese on your cheese on toast? do you slice or grate? A mix of Cheddar and mozzarella bubbles nicely without browning. I'm not an expert, though, as I don't eat it but I have made it for others. Some like Lea & Perkins on it, some like the cheese mixed with a beaten egg, some like a drop of fish sauce for the umami taste.

Alexis Conran used to present The Real Hustle which was an early consumer fraud show. I'm glad he's doing more shows on scammers. Too many people are being caught out by these horrible people.

I think French bread has cinnamon in the mix. My Spanish friend adds sugar to hers. That's delicious.

Best fried bread comes after you've cooked bacon in lard. You just fry the bread in the bacon fat until it's golden brown and crispy, adding more lard if the bread has soaked it up. It's been years since I've used last but I still fry my bread in bacon fat for a rare treat.

Bread fried in olive oil with sesame oil added is very tasty, too.

I make "joking pizza" in the air fryer. Toast the bread, rub a garlic clove over it, add some pasatta or pizza sauce, grated mozzarella and whatever topping you fancy. Bung in air fryer (or under grill) until done.

Strato - have you tried different cheese on your cheese on toast? do you slice or grate? A mix of Cheddar and mozzarella bubbles nicely without browning. I'm not an expert, though, as I don't eat it but I have made it for others. Some like Lea & Perkins on it, some like the cheese mixed with a beaten egg, some like a drop of fish sauce for the umami taste.

Alexis Conran used to present The Real Hustle which was an early consumer fraud show. I'm glad he's doing more shows on scammers. Too many people are being caught out by these horrible people.
I like to do my fried bread in the pan that the bacon has fried in lard. I'm not a lover of bacon so I do it in the pan after husband's bacon. Haven't had it for a while so might just have to do a nice 'big breakfast' one night this week.

The pensioner who lives below me used to fry. The smell always came up to my kitchen, I think, through the extractor fan? Anyway, I swear the fat she used smelt like it was 10 years old. And I do mean putrid.

We have the famous Ulster Fry here also known as the heart attack on every plate. I never liked or eat. No beans or pudding. Soda and Potato bread, fried egg and bacon and sausage. A friend goes out every Tuesday to a little café for one.

I think these are called EGGY BREAD, French toast is different, no egg.

But I've had no success with eggy bread either.

The primary difference between French toast and Eggy bread is that FT is sweet and EB is savoury!

In the former, one usually adds cinnamon, vanilla or nutmeg.

Also often some sugar is added - icing sugar works well.

It does usually still include egg - I’ve had it made for me with a little bit of milk/cream too - but think it can be made without.

Eggy Bread obviously v egg based!

The secret to both is definitely using day or two old bread - good way to use it up plus it absorbs the egg mix much better.

As for fried bread, afraid I’ve never had it and don’t fry anything [except onion and garlic!] - even in an air fryer which, shockingly, I don’t own! - so can’t help with that one!

Last edited:
Looked on BBC Good Food website, which I find is pretty reliable for most recipes, especially if you take into account the reader comments too!

They have “recipes” for eggy bread and even fried bread plus videos.

But the one for French toast is extremely indulgent! (Eggs, cream, sugar and brioche etc, though sure you could use regular bread).

I’m not a fan of it tbh but it does sound like a nice pudding!

The French toast I had made for me as a child was very simple, the bread was buttered on both sides before toasting. I've tried doing it in a frying pan without much success. I don't want to try it in my toaster and end up having it splattered with butter inside, where it is impossible to clean.

The French toast I had made for me as a child was very simple, the bread was buttered on both sides before toasting. I've tried doing it in a frying pan without much success. I don't want to try it in my toaster and end up having it splattered with butter inside, where it is impossible to clean.

Well that’s not French toast LOL! 😉

And definitely don’t try to recreate it in a toaster - especially a pricey Dualit one! - you’ll end up causing a fire with butter on the element!

It may work to butter both sides before toasting in an air-fryer if you have one, or else in a regular oven?

What you really need is an American style “toaster oven” which toasts all around…

My mum, okay I will put my hand up and say she was not a great cook. She could burn Mary Baker's buns, and her frying Veggie Roll was so hard it could be used as a weapon. My dad learnt to cook in the navy, so did most of it, as long as it was fried or boiled he had it. Anyway, my mum did do French Toast, I remember it was sweetened with sugar in the egg mixture and the bread left to soak in the mixture.

Latest posts

Back