Lynn

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I was never a fan of Lynn. But then when she started on about the angels, which in my personal opinion is preying on the grief of others... I turned off whenever she was on.
I agree. The idea of 'responsible telly' seems to have bypassed some of the channels a long while ago, but what really gets to me is they portray themselves as a caring, sharing, 'family' environment who love their viewers. Hypocritical doesn't begin to describe it - they know full well (1) these things (such as angels, crystal healing, curative water from the toilets of 10 Downing Street, call it what you like) are completely without any basis in fact, (2) there are people watching who might be vulnerable. In these days of having to give 'warnings' about everything in advance, why are they being allowed to get away with it? What makes them different?

I agree. The idea of 'responsible telly' seems to have bypassed some of the channels a long while ago, but what really gets to me is they portray themselves as a caring, sharing, 'family' environment who love their viewers. Hypocritical doesn't begin to describe it - they know full well (1) these things (such as angels, crystal healing, curative water from the toilets of 10 Downing Street, call it what you like) are completely without any basis in fact, (2) there are people watching who might be vulnerable. In these days of having to give 'warnings' about everything in advance, why are they being allowed to get away with it? What makes them different?
A very good question!

In these days of having to give 'warnings' about everything in advance, why are they being allowed to get away with it? What makes them different?

Because the ASA are not proactive. Rather than watching these channels routinely to make sure they don't overstep the mark, they rely on complaints from the public.

Most members of the public simply can't be bothered to report them - or even if they wanted to, they don't know how to.

And those that do complain become disheartened and wonder why they bother, when every single time a report goes in, the ASA respond with "We've given them a warning" rather than actually taking more severe action.

Gemporia have had a few warnings as a result of my referrals - yet the warnings continue. When will they eventually be fined or given a ban.

I referred THREE dubious sales to the ASA on Sunday. At the end of it, I'm expecting nothing more than yet another standard response of "we've given them a warning".

Neither the ASA or OFCOM are fit for purpose.

This morning, on my phone: too early for tv on, I saw Lynn selling off her Sundar stuff in clearance. Didn't know she was still on Gemporia.

So Lynn officially left today (well, yesterday now).

I get the impression she hasn't left on good terms.

When presenters have left in the past, Steve Bennett or someone high up in the company (Shane usually, before he left), used to come on and thank the presenter for everything they'd done, give them a hug, and had them a leaving present and / or a big bunch of flowers.

Lynn left with none of that. She didn't even get emotional, and had yet another dig at the company shortly before she went (the last of many that she's made in recent weeks).

I found it very odd considering Lynn used to say that they spent a lot of time with Steve Bennett because Rod and Steve were very close friends.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's some bitterness from when Rod was made redundant a couple of years ago. I get the impression that Lynn, Rod, Angeline and Nick always thought they were 'safe' and indispensable because they were so close to Steve.

I suspect we'll get even more of Lindsey Carr and Jess Foley filling in now.

Rachel Hatton would have bridged that gap nicely - but she was supposed to be back in January, and it's now March, and there's still no sign of her, so I wouldn't be overly surprised if she doesn't come back now. I don't think Gemporia is a happy camp at the moment (no doubt they'll still be friends in viewers living rooms though.............)

When presenters have left in the past, Steve Bennett or someone high up in the company (Shane usually, before he left), used to come on and thank the presenter for everything they'd done, give them a hug, and had them a leaving present and / or a big bunch of flowers.

Lynn left with none of that. She didn't even get emotional, and had yet another dig at the company shortly before she went (the last of many that she's made in recent weeks).

I found it very odd considering Lynn used to say that they spent a lot of time with Steve Bennett because Rod and Steve were very close friends.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's some bitterness from when Rod was made redundant a couple of years ago. I get the impression that Lynn, Rod, Angeline and Nick always thought they were 'safe' and indispensable because they were so close to Steve.

Rachel Hatton would have bridged that gap nicely - but she was supposed to be back in January, and it's now March, and there's still no sign of her, so I wouldn't be overly surprised if she doesn't come back now. I don't think Gemporia is a happy camp at the moment (no doubt they'll still be friends in viewers living rooms though.............)
What did she say?

A new presenter, Josie started this morning.

There is a picture of Lynn and Steve with a big bunch of flowers on her Facebook page. Whilst I suppose this could be an archive photo I don’t see why she would make it look as though her departure had been handled better than it had if she was leaving on bad terms.

I think that's spot-on about the "Fab Four" (?) thinking they were indestructible - when was the last time Angeline did an evening shift, for example? Like never. I always wondered whether they were on "old" contracts, hence they had more protection than the more recently recruited presenters? I think Lynn got too big for her boots, and it's a reminder that they might think they're part of the 'inner circle', but when it comes to business I'd think there's very little sentiment with Steve.

What did she say?

A new presenter, Josie started this morning.
Basically along the lines of she didn't feel the slightest bit emotional and wasn't sad to be leaving. The way in which she said it came across as "this isn't a nice place to work any more".

I saw Josie Soden. 5 minutes was enough. Straight away, you can immediately tell that she's going to be another of those identikit Gemporia presenters that giggles, shrieks and shouts through their whole show.

I always wondered whether they were on "old" contracts, hence they had more protection than the more recently recruited presenters?

Possibly. I know from an ex Gemporia presenter that viewing figures also play a part in deciding what time slots presenters are given too.

I was told that Adina has the highest viewing figures - hence why she always has the 'prime time' slot. Scott Worsfold was apparently second highest before he left (which is probably why he was replaced with someone 'established' in Ellis Ward rather than taking a gamble on someone 'up-and-coming' for that time slot). Jim was apparently very popular with viewers - but didn't get particularly high sales figures compared to other presenters, so he was kept on the later shows.

How true or not that is, I don't know, but I have no reason not to believe what I was told.

I suspect Angeline gets good sales figures - hence why they never move her around. She might not be to everyone's taste, but Angeline is probably the only presenter these days that tells you how stones form underground, and explains what treatments do, etc - whereas the other presenters just waffle, tell you constantly that you need to phone in quick and that the prices are the best they've ever seen.......... I'd have put Adina into the more informative presenter category once upon a time too - but even she comes out with some very dubious claims and price comparisons these days. She can still share a lot of genuine knowledgeable at times, don't get me wrong - but she also includes a lot more 'fluff' than she ever used to (hence why once of her sales pitches was given a 'strike' by the ASA earlier this year).

Last edited:
Basically along the lines of she didn't feel the slightest bit emotional and wasn't sad to be leaving. The way in which she said it came across as "this isn't a nice place to work any more".

I saw Josie Soden. 5 minutes was enough. Straight away, you can immediately tell that she's going to be another of those identikit Gemporia presenters that giggles, shrieks and shouts through their whole show.
Yikes!!!

She had a dig about 6 weeks ago too about having to work her notice period. I think she was hoping that having worked there for so long, and being close to Steve, they were going to let her go without having to work a notice period.

I was surprised that she was openly promoting her new business on air too (although it was her last day - so she probably didn't care), as well as openly discussing Chalmers Gems and promoting Rod working for them now, via her presenter page on Facebook.

In most other businesses, employees have it written into their contract that they can't work for, or promote, a competing business whilst under their employment (and for a certain period after they leave - usually 6 months).

I'm surprised that Lynn has left in the way that she has. If her new business doesn't take off, I would imagine that the door has been closed on a return to Gemporia should she need to find work again.

I was going to watch her debut but, after looking her up on the web, I realised that the fluff behind my radiators had built up over the winter and needed picking out with a pair of tweezers.

She had a dig about 6 weeks ago too about having to work her notice period. I think she was hoping that having worked there for so long, and being close to Steve, they were going to let her go without having to work a notice period.

I was surprised that she was openly promoting her new business on air too (although it was her last day - so she probably didn't care), as well as openly discussing Chalmers Gems and promoting Rod working for them now, via her presenter page on Facebook.

In most other businesses, employees have it written into their contract that they can't work for, or promote, a competing business whilst under their employment (and for a certain period after they leave - usually 6 months).

I'm surprised that Lynn has left in the way that she has. If her new business doesn't take off, I would imagine that the door has been closed on a return to Gemporia should she need to find work again.
I saw one of the first early morning shifts she did, shortly after she'd announced her departure, and noticed her comments that she sneaked in then. The impression I got was that she was very confident about her future plans; no regrets or return I suspect. Like Drew, very much an "I've had enough of this now" attitude.

Chalmers, if it takes off, is a real threat to Gem Collector - especially when it comes to the opaque cabs. Chalmers' prices are roughly 30% of what GC is now charging.

Tosh about "healing" and pseudo science about "energy" aside (a recent Facebook session with Jainey Bennett was jaw-dropping in its level of Tiktok style disinformation), good luck to her and Rod, I say.

I saw one of the first early morning shifts she did, shortly after she'd announced her departure, and noticed her comments that she sneaked in then. The impression I got was that she was very confident about her future plans; no regrets or return I suspect. Like Drew, very much an "I've had enough of this now" attitude.
I think Lynn needs to be careful though because most of her customers will have followed her over from Gemporia.

Her main business model seems to be selling 'healing bundles' of stones on a monthly subscription. However, those subscriptions don't appear to be cheap - especially if you're subscribing to receive them every month.

I suspect that once the novelty wears off, or people realise that balancing a sodalite tumblestone on your big toe won't remove your bunions, people will start to cancel subscriptions.

Now that she's out of the public eye, her audience to new customers will be limited - so she could find out very quickly that although she's doing well enough to earn a living now, that might not be the case a year or two down the line if subscriber numbers drop.

Chalmers, if it takes off, is a real threat to Gem Collector - especially when it comes to the opaque cabs. Chalmers' prices are roughly 30% of what GC is now charging.
The real threat to Gem Collector is Gem Collector. Their prices have rocketed even on stones that should be cheap. Their jasper prices are, quite frankly, taking the p**s. If they don't drop their prices soon, I can't see GC being around for much longer. They're not competitive - and their range of stones is limited these days too.

I see Chalmers Gems as more of a competitor to Jewellery Maker to be honest. Most of what I've seen from Chalmers Gems is cabochons rather than faceted stones.

I'd say GC's main rival is GemSelect - and GemSelect are far superior than GC in so many ways. Better prices. Better quality stones with better quality cuts. You actually get the stone you see in the photo. And their certificates of authenticity are actually correct and trustworthy.

I suspect that once the novelty wears off, or people realise that balancing a sodalite tumblestone on your big toe won't remove your bunions, people will start to cancel subscriptions.
I hope that you're right in this regard but I am not so optimistic, in the short term at least. Scaremongering to increase sales of "medicines" and "food" supplements, the return of The Flat Earth Society, crap about Giant humans, creationism and shocking "archeological" theories are being pushed across the internet by a new breed of sinister shysters.

Lindsey Carr's level of ignorance and sheer credulity is a warning that things aren't going well! The Enlightenment is under threat 🙃

I'd say GC's main rival is GemSelect - and GemSelect are far superior than GC in so many ways. Better prices. Better quality stones with better quality cuts. You actually get the stone you see in the photo. And their certificates of authenticity are actually correct and trustworthy.
Agree. My experience with GemSelect matches yours.

Perhaps she decided she just didn't care and wouldn't go back anyway. I remember when Scott Worsfold left he mentioned he might be back for occasional appearances - whether he was told to say that and went along with it I've no idea, but he's not been near the place since. So I think the viewers are only told the 'Gemporia version' of the truth about anything. Personally I wouldn't believe most of them on the channel if they told me the sea was wet.

Perhaps she decided she just didn't care and wouldn't go back anyway.

Possibly, but I think she's being a bit optimistic that her business is going to continue growing - but I'm not so sure. I think her being in the public eye helped attract customers. Once she's been 'forgotten about' by Gemporia viewers, and her current subscribers inevitably decline over time, she could find that her income drops significantly. I think to 'burn her bridges' and rule out a plan B is a bit risky.

Lets face it, her "qualification" in healing is a nonsense qualification because the whole healing thing is unproven and unregulated. There is no official body that issues qualifications in something that is unproven.

So whilst that "qualification" might sound good to other people that believe in that nonsense, it isn't a credible qualification that any future employer is going to be interested in should she find herself needing to apply for a job at say, QVC, in the future.

Steve Bennett even used to say that it was unproven and nonsense - and always stated that he stayed well clear of making quotes about so-called metaphysical properties because it could come back to bite them on the backside (ie, if they sold something claiming that it could "lower blood pressure if you sleep with it under your pillow", and then someone suffered a heart attack after having high blood pressure for years and years, they could sue the arse off them for making a false claim).

Now, because Gemporia are desperate for everyone's money, they seem to have no issue with throwing all these nonsensical unproven claims about.

I remember when Scott Worsfold left he mentioned he might be back for occasional appearances - whether he was told to say that and went along with it I've no idea, but he's not been near the place since.

To be fair, I think Scott Worsfold left with the intention of focusing on his acting work and his own business - but I remember him saying on social media that he was offered a job by Hochanda and it was an easy drive from where he lived (straight down the M1) - whereas Redditch was a long and awkward drive from his Yorkshire home (this was his reason for leaving - similar to Rae Carpenter, who drove from Cardiff to Redditch to present). He wouldn't have needed to freelance at Gemporia once he'd been given a permanent role at Hochanda.

Possibly, but I think she's being a bit optimistic that her business is going to continue growing - but I'm not so sure. I think her being in the public eye helped attract customers. Once she's been 'forgotten about' by Gemporia viewers, and her current subscribers inevitably decline over time, she could find that her income drops significantly. I think to 'burn her bridges' and rule out a plan B is a bit risky.

Lets face it, her "qualification" in healing is a nonsense qualification because the whole healing thing is unproven and unregulated. There is no official body that issues qualifications in something that is unproven.

So whilst that "qualification" might sound good to other people that believe in that nonsense, it isn't a credible qualification that any future employer is going to be interested in should she find herself needing to apply for a job at say, QVC, in the future.

Steve Bennett even used to say that it was unproven and nonsense - and always stated that he stayed well clear of making quotes about so-called metaphysical properties because it could come back to bite them on the backside (ie, if they sold something claiming that it could "lower blood pressure if you sleep with it under your pillow", and then someone suffered a heart attack after having high blood pressure for years and years, they could sue the arse off them for making a false claim).

Now, because Gemporia are desperate for everyone's money, they seem to have no issue with throwing all these nonsensical unproven claims about.

To be fair, I think Scott Worsfold left with the intention of focusing on his acting work and his own business - but I remember him saying on social media that he was offered a job by Hochanda and it was an easy drive from where he lived (straight down the M1) - whereas Redditch was a long and awkward drive from his Yorkshire home (this was his reason for leaving - similar to Rae Carpenter, who drove from Cardiff to Redditch to present). He wouldn't have needed to freelance at Gemporia once he'd been given a permanent role at Hochanda.
I watched Rod Jinks first session at Chalmers as I had never heard of them but had watched Rod before and always felt he was underused at Gems. He mentioned that he had intended to retire having received an inheritance and that this current role just happened to come up and scupper his plans. I actually find him easy to watch and would’ve much preferred him to the shrieking presenters that are left. But I wondered whether that may have influenced her decision to leave. Or perhaps she could see the way the channel was heading and wanted to leave before it sank?

Latest posts

Back