Calling Kipling Experts - Question re Delta & Katie Bags

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Dorothyredboots

Registered Shopper
Hope someone can help. I have a Defea (Delta on QVC) bag which I use every day for work. I would like something a bit smarter - the style and size of the Defea are perfect but I don't really like the nylon fabric. I was looking at the Katie Hip Metallic finish Grab Bag on the website and I wondered if anyone could say if this would be a good alternative to the Delta? Or perhaps there might be something else - I like the idea of 'shiny'. I don't use a shoulder strap as it is bad for clothes and posture and I need a bag which is big enough for newspaper (folded obv.), paperback book, makeup bag, large purse, brolly or shades and sometimes packed lunch. I would prefer something about the same size as the Delta - hopefully not much bigger. If there is nothing to fit the bill I will buy the Delta again in brown or black or a sensible colour (bought the one I have in a sale v. cheap for £26.00 so its not a colour that I really like but wanted to test drive the bag on a long-term basis IYKWIM)
Thanks.

I would recommend the 'Trudy' bag.

Unfortunately, it is only in the nylon fabric, but is a perfect size for a grab bag. Only slightly smaller and less bulky than the deafa, but altogether more stylish!

Hi I'm a newbie here :hi: but hope I can help. I haven't got the Defea myself but have seen it and would say the Katie is a pretty similar size (got mine on Friday yay!) and large enough if you want it as a work bag.

If you want a change from the Basic range, the April bag in the City range is also similar in size and has a lovely silky look to it. If you go to Kipling's website, they are having a sale and both bags are cheaper than via QVC and you won't have to pay P&P as it is over £60.

Hi Pollybelle, welcome to the forum, enjoy your time here. You seem to be a fan of Kipling bags, me too, although I buy most of mine on Ebay. As qvc only bought a handful of the tsv's yesterday I missed out on it.

I also use a Delta/Defea daily as my work bag, I need to carry a lot of stuff and sometimes need to have it on my shoulder, so it ticks all the boxes for me. People are always admiring it. Personally, I like the nylon fabric and the fact that it can be washed is a big plus. I also like the security of the big zipped pocket inside - keeps my purse & personal mobile safely hidden from theiving scratters. Mine is Cassis, (a very deep browny/burgundy shade) and I can recommend that colour, it goes with everything and is slightly more interesting than black or brown. I also bought a Jazzy Blue one, but haven't used it yet as I'm not sure about the colour - I may sell it yet. That's the other great thing about Kipling bags, you can get a good price for them on ebay, even if they have been used.

Hi Pollybelle, welcome to the forum, enjoy your time here. You seem to be a fan of Kipling bags, me too, although I buy most of mine on Ebay. As qvc only bought a handful of the tsv's yesterday I missed out on it.

I had a look on ebay at kipling and apparently there are fakes about, one seller had a Guide page which explained how to spot a fake which was interesting.

Here it is:
http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/FAKE-KIPLING-bags-How-to-spot-them_W0QQugidZ10000000004429714

Worth a look for all Kipling fans :)

Hello there, I use a Delta/Defea for work as well, it saves me having to carry a separate sandwich back, just put my lock & lock in there. I bought the velvet Katie which looked fab but actually made my shoulder ache so it went back. I've bought the Candy, which is nice but much too small for my work requirements, I haven't got the Fairfax but i am tempted as an alternative to the Delta, not sure of its size though. I simply buy Kipling because it gets me organized, but I would like to see some new fabrics coming through. Not too bothered about the monkey though.

I don't want to hijack the thread-but whilst you kipling experts are about....!

I have never really been interested in kipling bags-normally prefer leather. However I had pretty major surgery in may,and as a result I have to carry some 'emergency' stuff with me (I have a temporary stoma and may need to change it whilst out.) The hospital gives out a large bag which is like a cross between a babys changing bag and a laptop bag,but it is so ugly and also not bery practical as it has just 2 pockets and everything gets mixed up in there.

Anyhow, I have looked at Fairfax-and like the fact it isn't too bulky (don't like huge bags!) and that it has lots of pockets etc. Does anyone have fairfax or know what it's like?

Hope someone can help. I have a Defea (Delta on QVC) bag which I use every day for work. I would like something a bit smarter - the style and size of the Defea are perfect but I don't really like the nylon fabric. I was looking at the Katie Hip Metallic finish Grab Bag on the website and I wondered if anyone could say if this would be a good alternative to the Delta? Or perhaps there might be something else - I like the idea of 'shiny'. I don't use a shoulder strap as it is bad for clothes and posture and I need a bag which is big enough for newspaper (folded obv.), paperback book, makeup bag, large purse, brolly or shades and sometimes packed lunch. I would prefer something about the same size as the Delta - hopefully not much bigger. If there is nothing to fit the bill I will buy the Delta again in brown or black or a sensible colour (bought the one I have in a sale v. cheap for £26.00 so its not a colour that I really like but wanted to test drive the bag on a long-term basis IYKWIM)
Thanks.

Hi Dorothyredboots

I would aggree with the others and say the Katie is a great match for the Defea, we should have video clips of both on our site so you can compare what the look like close up. At the moment we only have a few Katie's left in black velvet, but they are marked down by 30% (£83 - £58.10 incl free UK postage)

http://www.rtherapyclothing.co.uk/shop/kipling-hip_49/kipling-hip-katie-black-velvet_2221.html

Otherwise I would suggest you look at the Rock Heavan collection from Kipling, they are a bit more expensive, but really good quality and trendy bags. As a shoppingtelly outlet sponsor I'd be happy to offer you 15% discount if you wanted one of the Rock Heavan's from the latest Autumn/Winter 2009 range.

http://www.rtherapyclothing.co.uk/shop/kipling-rock-heaven_81/

Kind regards

Brett

Hi Suzy :)
I have a Kipling fairfax and I love it :)
I wouldn't say it's big enough to carry more around than basic toiletries, a book or two, purse, medicines, brolly and make up though. You couldn't put a change of clothes in there, but you could hide a pair of knickers!!
I'm not sure what size you'd need for your needs, but I could always measure my bag if you'd like! It's smaller than a laptop size, though.

It's a great every day bag and can be worn as a shoulder bag or cross body, but it's a bit bulky as a cross body, so I've just ordered a Milos for this as I think it will be more practical for shopping.
I love the multi pockets of the fairfax...very useful!!
I got it when it was on special on QVC and it worked out around £40 inc P and P (last Christmas time).

I'm sorely tempted by this offer on TKMaxx - this bag looks a little bigger:
http://www.tkmaxx.com/KIPLING-FLORAL-CANVAS-BAG/invt/11692910

they even have a Milos on there now for less than £20!! I thought the QVC offer at £26 was good lol :)

The Kipling Becky is bigger, more laptop sized, with pockets.
I think one of Brett's links may have been to that. It is quite a lot bulkier though and about twice the price of what i paid for the Fairfax.

Last edited:
Thanks Lottie-I don't need it big enough to take a change of clothes,though I do keep one in the car! I get what I need in my normal handbag,but it all gets a bit dogeared as there is only one large section,plus I am always a bit embarrased if people catch sight of my stoma bags etc! From what you say I think this sounds about right-I got the measurements from qvc and also watched the video-now..................what colour?!

oooh colour - decisions decisions lol!!!

I have the mauvy blue one, can't remember the posh name, but it's lovely. It's sort of casual/smart too :D

Yes if you're not wanting a bag for clothes, it does sound ideal. Your main "goodies" could be in the large middle section and purse, cards could be in the front so you're only opening that bit and not the middle section. There are also flaps either side of the middle section too :)

The side pockets at either end are good too - I stuff all my asthma inhalers, painkillers etc in one.

Kipling bags are expensive
just for having a monkey on key ring

Hmmmmmm
Well you could always take the monkey off if it's that repulsive!

I don't think getting a bag for less than £40 inc P and P is particularly expensive if it suits a purpose. I buy bags primarily for purpose, attractiveness, durability and cost.

There are designers who charge ludicrous prices for their bags with their labels on and people are foolish enough to pay silly sums for them when it's clear you're paying for a label and not for something which has cost the earth to produce. I've seen dearer handbags in Tescos than the Kipling bags on QVC! :tongue2:

I agree Lottie. The other thing with Kipling is that if, like me, you don't like leather bags, they do a great range to choose from. I need a workbag I can cart all my bits and pieces around that isn't going to fall to pieces or look like it was designed for a teenager (something I haven't been for a looong time!)

well,lots of people like them,they are lightweight yet very durable and to be honest we havent all got the money to buy leather bags!!
QVC do a good range and the website has good sales,with plenty of discount
I have a few kiplings in different sizes and colours,they are great to use for travelling as they are so strong and you can chuck them in the washer if you need to!
however you are more than entitled to dislike the bags,after all we are all different,thats what makes the world go round!! :wink2:

I have always resisted due to the price previously but I really think that they will be ideal for me in my present circumstances. The monkey-yeah,not keen-but my youngest lad will love it :)

My Kipling Fairfax arrived today (fastest delivery ever from QVC for me!) and although I have everything I need in it,I'm not sure it will be big enough-will test drive it for afew days! It certainly has a wealth of pockets,but it looks a lot smaller IRL. I must have been a bear of very small brain the day I ordered it................I thought I had ordered the lighter blue,'dusty blue' but had in fact ordered 'true blue' which is almost black! Fortunately I like the colour and I suppose it would show the dirt less! So I'll try it out and see how I go with it.

I have always resisted due to the price previously but I really think that they will be ideal for me in my present circumstances. The monkey-yeah,not keen-but my youngest lad will love it :)

Its amazing how you change your view of things depending on the circumstances. TBH I have never liked nor understood why sopmeone would want a Kipling bag as I suppose I have viewed them as a 'practical' bag and quite unattractive. But now I have my bicycle and I need to have something quite practical, I can suddenly see the merits of these bags! When they arrived from QVC, I must say I quite like them!

I never used to like them but after seeing one of the shows and seeing the Robin bag in the icy grey I ordered my first Kipling bag and am so glad I did. I have had many compliments on it, people really seem to like the colour amd the fact that it doesn't have loads of pockets and zips - it is a very simple design which I think is why it works on the style front - I put the monkey on the key fob as I don't want him getting dirty!

Latest posts

Back