Anne Dawson

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

We say, you know, here in N.I. But the only time I notice it is if someone is being stopped in the street to be interviewed by the local news. Then it is you know, you know etc.

A thing here with women in their 60s plus is this habit of dying their hair black! Oh, and then the white roots grow out, so you have like an inch of white at the roots. The black dye washes them for a start, and they would look so much better with the white hair.

I am a natural blond, of course it darkened to a dark natural blond. For some reason at both sides of my head at the front I had two strips which stayed the light blond. I do dye my hair and just use a natural blond shade, I even had people surprised I colour my hair. So I must be using the right shade. I remember once saying to my hairdresser I fancied going red. She said no, I would not suit it.
Your hairdresser was honest. Pity that Dawson's isn't!! It's the same where I live regarding the dyed black hair. Maybe when they were young, their hair was dark, but trying to keep it that colour doesn't look right because their complexion has changed over time. Often, the same ladies will use too much blusher and bright red lipstick. Softer is always better after 'a certain age.'

I started to go grey just before I left school age 28.
I’m 68 now and have it coloured every 6 weeks but I will probably go ‘au naturel’ by 70.
You could try. It will save you time and expense.

Mum went grey at 28. I think I had mine dyed most colours over the years but muted it down to a very light brown as I got older. Finally stopped during lockdown and I’m now fully grey at 74. Saves a fortune on hairdressing costs as I now just have a cut and blow dry every 6 weeks.

We say, you know, here in N.I. But the only time I notice it is if someone is being stopped in the street to be interviewed by the local news. Then it is you know, you know etc.

A thing here with women in their 60s plus is this habit of dying their hair black! Oh, and then the white roots grow out, so you have like an inch of white at the roots. The black dye washes them for a start, and they would look so much better with the white hair.

I am a natural blond, of course it darkened to a dark natural blond. For some reason at both sides of my head at the front I had two strips which stayed the light blond. I do dye my hair and just use a natural blond shade, I even had people surprised I colour my hair. So I must be using the right shade. I remember once saying to my hairdresser I fancied going red. She said no, I would not suit it.
I had a full head highlights stage, my hairdresser told me it suited me.
It didn’t.
Ended up going back to my dark brown.
He also said it helped with the grey which I presumed was at the back that I couldn’t see. Another fib.
I have dark brown hair, green eyes and pale skin ( Irish grandma).
My best colour is what already complemented me but a hairdresser gets a lot more money from full head highlights rather than a bog standard cut and blow every 2 months. 🧐

I had a full head highlights stage, my hairdresser told me it suited me.
It didn’t.
Ended up going back to my dark brown.
He also said it helped with the grey which I presumed was at the back that I couldn’t see. Another fib.
I have dark brown hair, green eyes and pale skin ( Irish grandma).
My best colour is what already complemented me but a hairdresser gets a lot more money from full head highlights rather than a bog standard cut and blow every 2 months. 🧐
Anyone can be trained to cut hair, but it takes a really talented hairdresser to recommend colour. I hope you dumped this hairdresser. He didn't care what suited you. He was in it for the money.

Mum went grey at 28. I think I had mine dyed most colours over the years but muted it down to a very light brown as I got older. Finally stopped during lockdown and I’m now fully grey at 74. Saves a fortune on hairdressing costs as I now just have a cut and blow dry every 6 weeks.
My hair used to be a dark brown, (still is more or less), but I remember I had red sideburns. Now they are grey. And my grey shows more so when it's freshly washed or cut. I'm getting old :p

Lots of people say annoying things time after time and most of them aren`t even aware of it but a supposed professional presenter should be able to moderate it. Imagine watching the news and the reader interviewing someone and calling them chuck, love or duck or everytime the interviewee replied the presenter saying ok ya ok ya or something similar.
My first late hubby was a Scot, my Dad was born in Liverpool but was shipped off to Canada as a Barnados boy aged 12 and my DIL is Welsh, my Mum was a Lancashire lass, my grandfather who was killed in 1917 was Irish so a person`s Nationality means nothing to me, they are simply fellow humans.
My late hubby even though a Glaswegian had no accent whatsoever, my Dad who was born a Scouser but spent 13 years in Canada actually spoke with an accent similar to the old fashioned BBC radio announcers, my DIL who`se Welsh finds trying to understand my now hubby almost impossible and her accent sounds very sing song-y but lovely and my late Mum spoke in the broadest Lancashire accent you could ever imagine. They all ( including myself) had phrases or sayings which if uttered too often would be downright annoying.
I have a terrible habit of calling people "love" or answering people with a "yes love or what can I do for you love ?" but that`s because I was born n bred in a Lancs mill town. An ex colleague of mine called everybody " Duck or me Duck". Mr V has a habit of saying "you know what I mean ?" far too often and my lovely DIL utters the word "Lush" at least a million times a day !
We are what we are, we speak without thinking but we aren`t on TV trying to read the news or sell anything and I don`t think it`s unreasonable to expect people who do such jobs to have a more professional way of speaking and that`s whether they are Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Double Dutch or come from Telly Tubby Land !

I was expressing my opinion, I was not giving you or anyone else "advice".
You said, "I would urge the English on here to proceed with caution."
I believe you were offering advice to me, an English person. It could be interpreted as some kind of warning.
If I have misunderstood your "I would urge the English on here to proceed with caution" I would be happy to have it explained to me.
I chose to use the word, "advice" although it seems like some kind of warning.
Perhaps we should all choose our words carefully, no matter what nationality???

Rubbish I think you took to heart what I said with no serious intent, you must be a very sensative soul. I am half English the bulk of my family still alive live in Kent and Luton. You obviously want a debate, sorry you chose the wrong person and took a threat where there was none.

I'm half English as well with a dollop of Irish chucked in for good measure. Surely we can all do a bit of the "anyone but the English/Scottish" thing can't we? If you're into football it's just a part of life :D Mr CC is English/Irish so of course we never get on or agree about anything ;)

CC

Rubbish I think you took to heart what I said with no serious intent, you must be a very sensative soul. I am half English the bulk of my family still alive live in Kent and Luton. You obviously want a debate, sorry you chose the wrong person and took a threat where there was none.
Maybe I am too sensitive or maybe you are too insensitive? Without a measuring gauge, no one can say.
However, I explained that I switch off Anne Dawson because I get triggered by her constant “you know”s. I understand how tricky it must be to speak to a guest, watch the monitors whilst a stream of words are coming into your earpiece. But I detest it and do the right thing by avoiding her.
However, you suggested she says it because it is part of a dialectical Scottish region and then implied any “English “ needed to be careful. Careful of what?
I am not looking for a debate. I do not need to debate this because I am and have been very clear on why I switch off this presenter.
But I wish to defend myself against any implication that I am racist.
I also do not see any “humour” in your post.
Again, perhaps we all need to take care with the words we use.

To be fair, all of them have annoying habits and phrases that their training should have sorted out, but obviously hasn't. It doesn't matter what ethnicity, what part of the UK etc, annoying is annoying. What annoys me might not annoy you but if you watch (generic "you") QVC it seems we just have to put up with it because they ain't gonna cure it because they want to make it easy for sellers to sell. That's not to say we can't discuss it, just that it's there, in-yer-face and sometimes deliberately so if the presenter is of that ilk.

To be fair, all of them have annoying habits and phrases that their training should have sorted out, but obviously hasn't. It doesn't matter what ethnicity, what part of the UK etc, annoying is annoying. What annoys me might not annoy you but if you watch (generic "you") QVC it seems we just have to put up with it because they ain't gonna cure it because they want to make it easy for sellers to sell. That's not to say we can't discuss it, just that it's there, in-yer-face and sometimes deliberately so if the presenter is of that ilk.
I agree - I find Charlie unwatchable, he reportedly doesn’t wear underwear and then has his hand in his trouser pockets when presenting - I find it creepy 😳

I don’t mind Charlie or Dale because they’re laid back and no hard sell and whiff of desperation.

I have had grey hair for probably the last 25/30 years and even if I thought about a colour each hairdresser said ‘no’.I have had more complements on my hair colour than I can remember.However many of my contemporaries have to be ‘blonde’. That is their wish but can’t help thinking the underlying thinking behind that is ‘grey/ white hair = old’.It is the face, skin and general demeanour that = old not the hair colour?

Ah Silver, you've got me in one! I like silver/blonde/white hair on other people but I just cannot see it on me. It would be me finally admitting I'm getting older when I'm still 19 on the inside. I don't see other PEOPLE as old but it's the white/silver hair thing that I can't get past. You can slap me now :D I'll die with my red hair.

CC

I have a Mallen streak at the front of my hair , my Dad had one too and so did my late sister. From being a young child the front part of my hair has been a much lighter colour, nearly white but because I`ve always had short hair and even shorter as I`ve grown older it`s barely visible. Consequently even from my teens it`s looked as if I`ve been growing grey at the front.
It was far more visible on my sister who kept her hair much longer than me and early photos of my dad showed it clearly visible because he had the full Elvis style quiff back in the day.
I did try dying my hair years ago but the Mallen streak never took the dye properly and always looked a totally different colour than the rest of my hair, it was much lighter so it always looked as if I`d had a bad hair job.
As I`ve aged the rest of my hair has greyed so the streak isn`t as prominent but it hasn`t passed on to any of my children nor any of my sister`s children so perhaps I am the end of the line unless it skips a generation or two.

I have told this before. My granny was Scottish, moved to Belfast with her family at 11. She did not have a Scottish accent but used many Scottish words, police were the poliss. My dad was from Dover in Kent, I never thought of him having an accent, but my granny could not understand him. She used to say to me, what did he say? I never thought it strange, suppose as a child you don't

My big brother and SIL moved to Canada in the 70s. He still has his Belfast accent he has said out shopping he gets people say, Oh your from Northern Ireland. My SIL is pure Canadian

Ah Silver, you've got me in one! I like silver/blonde/white hair on other people but I just cannot see it on me. It would be me finally admitting I'm getting older when I'm still 19 on the inside. I don't see other PEOPLE as old but it's the white/silver hair thing that I can't get past. You can slap me now :D I'll die with my red hair.

CC
My Mum had red hair and she never went grey, a few grey hairs but the colour just faded and was still a fair red when she died at 82.In my youth when I used to put a semi permanent tint on my dark hair she used to say ‘have you dyed your hair’ ? ( with a slight disgust!) Youth is your outlook to life whatever your hair colour I am just coming up to my 17th birthday (+60 years!) & am planning for a far flung holiday destination.I consider myself fortunate & don’t take it lightly that in health and mobility I am able to do that.

I have to agree with Futility58 that ohnonotshoppingagain's post did sound confrontational and not very nice. "I would urge the English on here to priceed with caution." and "often behave as if you are in some way superior, trust me you are not."

What on earth was all that about, it was not necessary, it was like you were spoiling for an argument and very childish. Pull yourself together.

And no, I don't like 'you know' used by her so often, no way am I racist!

My comments were tongue in cheek, and certainly not intended in any way to cause offence, so it seems they did for which I apologise. There are more important things in my life to deal with, so I do not intend to return to this thread. My initial response was because I was trying to point out that Anne comes from Glasgow where the expression "you know" is used more there than any other part of Scotland. In fact there is a local reporter for GB News who uses it constantly in his reports to the studio. The problem with discussion forums we see the written word without any of us seeing facial expressions, giggles or smiles when posting. This applies to all of us. As for the English thing I was trying (badly obviously) to say there are many English words/sentences/expressions I don't like or even understand. It depends where you come from I guess.
Anyway these are my final words folks.

Latest posts

Back