Bit of piste here.........

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The shoes were recycled from her Mum who had originally bought them for herself but decided they were too high for her and my granddaughter claimed them. The shoes are from Shein originally.
Thank you! I think I'll treat myself to those. They are right up my street.

Last year my then 16 year old granddaughter had her school leaving prom. Unlike most of her classmates who turned up in glittery long dresses with slits up to their knickers, cleavages bursting out and backless strappy dresses, enough makeup to sink a battleship and looking like ten bob Kardashians, she wanted a vintage look.
She doesnt often buy new clothes and scours Vinted, Ebay and charity shops for 99% of what she wears but did choose a new dress for her prom. Here`s a photo and it took tremendous courage for her to even attend her prom because she has Aspergers and usually avoids any social events like the plague. It took us almost an hour to convince her to go into the prom and her Dad sat in his car in the car park all night because he promised her if at any time she wanted to leave, he would be there waiting for her and would take her home.
View attachment 25436
Wow,what a refreshing change from the usual 'Love Island' cattle ( which I absolutely detest)! Elegant and absolutely stunning. How proud you all must have been 👏👏👏💕

Wow,what a refreshing change from the usual 'Love Island' cattle ( which I absolutely detest)! Elegant and absolutely stunning. How proud you all must have been 👏👏👏💕
I couldn't agree more! What a refreshing change to see a young girl wearing timeless elegant clothes, classic jewellery and showing off her beautiful porcelain skin. Looks so much nicer than the usual made up look complete with slug eyebrows, false lashes, massive hoop earrings, spray tan and dresses that leave very little to the imagination - and that's all before they discover lip fillers and get themselves inked up with ridiculous phrases and other scrawl. Big brother has got a lot to answer for as it's spurned all these horrendous reality shows!

Just finished watching the film Elephant Walk (1955), and the costume designer of Liz Taylor's outfits was top Hollywood designer Edith Head.

Most if not all of her designs could be worn today - stunning. Simply cut, mid length, and with pockets, so when Liz walk with hands in her pockets its the epitome of chic. Ok there are no Edith Heads today, but why todays 'designer' can't look back at the old movies and get inspiration is beyond me.

Even QVC fashion could be replicated - ok, yes in the dreaded poly/elastene, but even so, why pockets are not put in as standard is also beyond me. I've ditched any dresses in my wardrobe that don't have them.

images
Liz looked fabulous in that film.
I guess the content is not very PC these days but I enjoyed it.

Last year my then 16 year old granddaughter had her school leaving prom. Unlike most of her classmates who turned up in glittery long dresses with slits up to their knickers, cleavages bursting out and backless strappy dresses, enough makeup to sink a battleship and looking like ten bob Kardashians, she wanted a vintage look.
She doesnt often buy new clothes and scours Vinted, Ebay and charity shops for 99% of what she wears but did choose a new dress for her prom. Here`s a photo and it took tremendous courage for her to even attend her prom because she has Aspergers and usually avoids any social events like the plague. It took us almost an hour to convince her to go into the prom and her Dad sat in his car in the car park all night because he promised her if at any time she wanted to leave, he would be there waiting for her and would take her home.
View attachment 25436
Stunning dress and young lady. Love the shoes.

Just finished watching the film Elephant Walk (1955), and the costume designer of Liz Taylor's outfits was top Hollywood designer Edith Head.

Most if not all of her designs could be worn today - stunning. Simply cut, mid length, and with pockets, so when Liz walk with hands in her pockets its the epitome of chic. Ok there are no Edith Heads today, but why todays 'designer' can't look back at the old movies and get inspiration is beyond me.

Even QVC fashion could be replicated - ok, yes in the dreaded poly/elastene, but even so, why pockets are not put in as standard is also beyond me. I've ditched any dresses in my wardrobe that don't have them.

images
Sadly we don’t all look like Elizabeth Taylor!

I’ve got a small waist and good hip ratio but sadly I’m missing the ample bosom to really make that dress work….

She of course looks stunning!

View attachment 25436
Oh gosh she looks absolutely beautiful and what a pretty face, hair and figure she has!

Facially she looks a lot like Elisabeth Moss here - not in the Handmaid’s tale but when glammed up!

The dress is stunning in shape, fabric and colour!

Some 25 (or is it 30?!) years ago, I wore a vintage-inspired silk tartan ball gown in this shape…

Then at my sixth form ball I was brave enough to wear a real ‘50’s vintage dress in a bold floral print. So beautifully tailored and fitted at the bust and waist.

Vintage wasn’t in then but I used to go into town to the market and got dresses for amazing prices!

I ended up with a few which my nieces are now interested in wearing to their own school balls!

(Their mum wants them to wear one of the fitted, slitted, busty frocks you mention above…!)

Talking just about girls, and not boys. I often am disgusted with how younger girls say 15 to 30 dress, no class, sloppy and untidy. During the 50s and 60s we never had a lot of money but my goodness we never went outside a mess, we always looked feminine. In those days often going to the hairdresser once a week, usually a Friday so that our hair would look nice for the weekend, omg those were the days and life was good. Often going dancing a lot of women kept their rollers in all day covered with a headscarf, I never did, but have great memories of all the girls downstairs in the powder room standing in front of the mirrors taking rollers out, back coming hair, hairspray galore before being finally ready to go upstairs to dance 🤣🤣🤣👍There is nothing nicer than a well turned out feminine girl/woman. I always wanted lovelydresses lije those pictured on this thread.

Latest posts

Back