Charlie Barron

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Deasmum

Registered Shopper
Well, Charlie Barron has declared today that, after October, he is unlikely to come again to Gemporia. What are your thoughts on this?

Possibly because Troth and co have been giving l̶e̶c̶t̶u̶r̶e̶s̶ presentations on Pearls over the past few months and sourced their pearls from somewhere else, and irritated Charlie in the process perhaps?

Or maybe Gemporia are taking forever to pay him for goods he's supplied? This wouldn't surprise me based on their financial predicament and the fact that they were taking almost a month just to refund customers relatively small amount of money too.

Interestingly, other guests seem few and far between these days too. Lehrer doesn't come over as much now, Yianni hasn't been on for ages, Gavin the Connoisseurs cleaning product guy hasn't been on this year - and the likes of Russell Twyford, Mark Saul, etc haven't been on in years.

Interesting. Gem Auras are only there until October too. Maybe they stayed until the end of their contracts because they could not leave before? Or maybe Gemporia had to keep them until the end of their current contracts but have chosen not to renew? October is also JadePoria's "birthday month" I think...

I'm now wondering about Yianni and Glenn - wonder if Gemporia can't afford "expert" guests any more.

Or if they will all leg it?

Haven’t really watched in ages, got out of the habit of watching early in the morning since Jeff left, and I can’t bear Jess or Lindsay. Have it on now to hear the gossip about Charlie. I loved his shows and have a few very nice pieces, but I did get irritated when he would get worked up about the prices. For Heavens Sake, you’ve sold them to Gemporia, you’ve got your cash, so why is it important what they drop the price too? And, how many pearls does a woman need🤣🤣 I don’t think Gemporia pays the ‘Experts’, aren’t they all flogging their own stuff? Glen has QVC USA now, with a massive Customer base and seems happy for his designs to be cut in India by Gemporia cutters and Yianni is probably tied up in in contracts with the very high end jewellers. I did read a review entitled ‘Chaotic Presentation’ referring to Angeline (someone else I can’t watch). Apparently she was presenting a Visage Bundle with a final price of £40, but on screen the box said 2 for £49.99. The lady who wrote the review rang up to place her order and was basically told she was making it up! She pointed out that it was still on the screen. They would budge and she cancelled the order. Not long after Angeline made a production of saying that it was an old graphic and to ignore it!!! Calls into question all the auctions that ‘went too low’ and the presenter said ‘Oh, there’s no Management in, we can do what we like/Oh We’re going to get into trouble for this/As it’s onscreen we have to honour it’. I’ve not much faith in anything they say. My Bank Balance is the happier for it!

My money's on Gemporia not wanting to pay Charlie what he wants for his pearls, as they're happily buying those nobody else wants that they can flog at overinflated prices. Like they've done with the jade.

I heard Ellis mention yesterday that Charlie would be back later in the year but not with Pearls. I think the intimation was that he can no longer get quality of pearls for his Company, rather than for Gemporia specifically.

Hyper Hattie has not long finished a pearl hour. She claims that its down to "climate change" affecting the water temperature, making it difficult to get hold of the pearls.

I don't believe a word of it personally.

Also, it seems a bit coincidental that Jainey Bennett is ending her Gem Auras products on Gemporia in October - and now Charlie Barron has indicated that he's also finishing in October too.

I may be reading too much into things - but after their money issues, I'm wondering if the Company is changing hands In October / November perhaps?

is there any significance that October is their "birthday month" when they usually have all the big guns on, Glen, Yianni, Charlie, Wobito etc. are they just going to stop trading?

Angelina was talking about Charlie Baron today referring to the high cost of pearls now. Because I can't watch her I didn't get the full story. Anybody else watched ?

Angelina was talking about Charlie Baron today referring to the high cost of pearls now. Because I can't watch her I didn't get the full story. Anybody else watched ?
I switched over briefly last night and saw Hattie saying the same thing; she blamed it on fewer pearls being created due to climate change messing up optimal water conditions.

She then went on to say that this made Gemporia's pearls even more special. So special, in fact, that the jewellery they were m was made with gold tone silver.

I switched over briefly last night and saw Hattie saying the same thing; she blamed it on fewer pearls being created due to climate change messing up optimal water conditions.

She then went on to say that this made Gemporia's pearls even more special. So special, in fact, that the jewellery they were m was made with gold tone silver.

But gold tone is for their heirloom pieces..........

How wonderful good tone! Can hardly contain myself.

How wonderful good tone! Can hardly contain myself.
The amount of gold tone jewellery is beyond unbelievable. But then, according to Lindsey the other day, around 1.98g of 9K gold in a ring is a "luxury" amount.

We obviously have different definitions of "luxury. And possibly "luxurious", too. Though Gemporia presenters don't seem to have heard of the second word

Gemporia has become like the French and Saunders skit of QVC from the 90s, where the jewellery made your skin go green, and the gold weight was so low their chains were invisible 😏

Steve was on yesterday. He's clearly been reading comments online about gold weights - because on a couple of occasions, he made a point of referring to the amount of gold in a ring, and showed every angle of it to the camera.

He kept talking about how expensive gold is at the moment - and he seemed to hint that gold is around £126 a gram.

Well, from what I can see online, Gold appears to be just under £48.50 per gram (and that seems to be for pure gold - not 9k or 18k)

Has anyone else noticed the old saying are coming back: we cut out the middle man, we are a reverse auction and a family orientated company. Old clips of when they used to go to the mines! Angeline, Lyn and Ellis I find are so false now you can hear it in their voices. As for Hattie she is so over the top .... Jess and Lyndsey..... For my money they all can leave sooner rather than later. I can no longer watch for more than a few minutes.

Steve was on yesterday. He's clearly been reading comments online about gold weights - because on a couple of occasions, he made a point of referring to the amount of gold in a ring, and showed every angle of it to the camera.

He kept talking about how expensive gold is at the moment - and he seemed to hint that gold is around £126 a gram.

Well, from what I can see online, Gold appears to be just under £48.50 per gram (and that seems to be for pure gold - not 9k or 18k)
Just odd. A full brand new 22K gold sovereign is roughly £62 a gram. Even VF antique ones are less than £126 a gram (roughly), even from retailers with a famous name such as Eric Knowles. Perhaps £126 is the factored cost of producing a standard "cast & plonk gemstone in basket" ring but for a 9K ring? It also utterly ignores the fact that a ring with a total metal weight of less than 2g, where most of the weight is in the basket, is both unwearable and has a real risk of the band just snapping in reasonably short order.

I'm sure that I've seen someone post on here that a Customer Service response has been "For our customers, it's all about the gemstone" (or something similar). OK but the Elsanta variety of strawberries that used to be the supermarket standard were red, looked like a strawberry but were utterly tasteless. I stopped buying them (especially after Michel Roux Jnr did a review for the BBC years ago and explained why and said that you would be wasting your money). You buy a 9K gold ring to wear a lot, don't you? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Latest posts

Back